Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 looking for Nice horse in New York
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic looking for Nice horse in New York Next Topic  

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  8:38:12 PM  Show Profile
anyone know of anyone selling a "bombproof" (I know , I know... of course not literally) horse or pony in or around NY.?

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  8:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would call your local trainers or stables to see if they know of anyone selling a horse. Also you can look on craigslist and often vets and feed stores have flyers posted somewhere of animals for sale. If you are new to horsemanship, I would find a trusted friend or trainer to go with you to help appraise any animal. Also make sure that you feel a connection with the animal. Even if someone says it is the greatest horse in the world- if there is not that spark in your heart for the horse, I feel that the relationship isn't as satisfying.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  03:24:08 AM  Show Profile
I totally agree, we have been working with a few trainers for a few months now, but still no progress. They are either too far away, or had some bad history so far. We are being soooo choosey now because of our first pony that we just sold. She was rough, tempermentalhad trust issues and would rear out of no where for no other reason than she was being a brat pony... had a bunch of trainers check her out. I've looked everywhere online for a while now, so I thought now I'll try word of mouth too!
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  7:37:43 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried any of the websites such as Equine.com, Dreamhorse.com, Pleasurehorse.com, agdirect.com, etc? Each has a search engine that lets you use location, breed, gender, price range, and other variables to get a hit close to home.

Also check tack stores. Most have a board on which people may stick up ads for horses for sale. Don't wait for the trainers. They tend to try and make an easy transaction; but if it isn't easy, their attention goes elsewhere. Also remember that the trainer generally gets 10% as a finder's fee, and some will try and steer you to a higher dollar horse because it's better for them, not you.

You are VERY SMART to go for bombproof, especially if you're not very experienced. When I go shopping for a kid horse I tell the seller I need kid broke, grandmother broke, bombproof and darn near lobotomized. I'll overlook some soundness issues for the right disposition. There are horses in every price range that qualify as kid broke; that's something they're born with. More training, certain bloodlines, rare breeds, better conformation all add $$$ to the price tag--- but it doesn't necessarily make them more kid broke. A kid broke horse may be ugly as a shovel, have just one lead and rudimentary training; but the child on their back is SAFE. And when a kid rides their safe kid broke horse, in their mind their horse is beautiful beyond measure.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  7:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I posted this link on the other thread where you were asking for help finding a horse- there is a horse rescue I think close by that says that they have some kid-broke bombproof horses for adoption. I browsed a little bit and it looks like they have quite a few choices.
http://www.petfinder.com/search/search.cgi?pet.Animal=Horse&pet.Breed=&pet.Age=&pet.Size=&pet.Sex=&location=wappingers+falls%2C+ny

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  2:15:18 PM  Show Profile
have u looked on dreamhorse.com?
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  05:25:42 AM  Show Profile
hi there , just wanted to thank everyone for respoding, I have been looking at all the websites selling horses for a long time already, and i still have not been able to find a safe bombproof horse at a reasonsble price, But The reason I asked on farmgirl is because iVE started asking local people to try to go word of mouth. Anyone, know any beginner horse for sale?
Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2008 :  8:27:07 PM  Show Profile
I think your luck is going to change due to the rules of supply and demand. I think come Fall, lots of good horses (and lots of bad ones too come to think of it) are going to be literally dumped on the market. You'll be able to have your pick. Already I am noticing the prices coming down for nice horses in my area even though it's summer. However, the price to feed them over the winter is going to force many people to sell in the months ahead I'm afraid. My hay guy already warned me to expect to pay at least $5 a bale for my small squares (50 lbs. each) of lst or 2nd cutting grass hay mix, due to the fact diesel is high and his fertilizer costs doubled from last year. Last year, because of a semi-drought in our area, I paid $4 a bale. In years past, it's been around $2.75 to $3.50. I don't expect to see those kinds of prices again. Sigh. So far my vet service hasn't upped their farm call price, nor my farrier his fees, , but I wouldn't be surprised if that happens too because of the gas prices. It's going to be very expensive to keep "luxury animals" like horses I'm afraid. And the horses are going to suffer. I just read where in some parts of the country where the drought continues, horses are being turned loose to fend for themselves because people just can't feed them anymore.
Anyway, just bide your time and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for at a good price.

-- Renee M. up in the mitten

No woman ever made history by following the rules.
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2008 :  2:23:01 PM  Show Profile
I think Renee is right. The problem now is the issue with hay, and the high cost of keeping a horse in today's economy. Even some of the farm rescues I work with (which deal with horses), say they are already booked to the hilt and can't take another in.

I would steer you in the direction of a farm sanctuary, but I don't know what their policies are with riding vs. keeping as companion animals, and I don't know if they disposition check.

Might be worth a shot tho: the best I think is Catskill Animal sanctuary, Catskill NY:
www.casanctuary.org

Good luck

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmama_3k4h
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

FARMAMA
kentucky
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  8:34:13 PM  Show Profile
In our area, fall is a good time to look for a horse that has been a "kid" horse. When kids go to college, most of the time, horse doesn't get to go and the parents will sell the horse. It is a good time to find a horse that has show experience as well as many hours of ride time. 4-H horses are generally good horses to get. We bought my 11 y/0 a 4-H horse in which the rider went to college and the parents wanted the horse to be enjoyed by another child. We got a great deal and a great horse-registered at that.

Good luck, you will find the right horse.

Ribbons -n- Rags
www.ribbonsnrags.blogspot.com

Farm and barn girl since birth.
Go to Top of Page

DairySue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Sue
Connecticut
67 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  8:34:00 PM  Show Profile
Yasmine, My cousin lives and worked at a horse farm in Pawling. (My hometown.) I could ask her. She likely knows about the horses in the above pet finder link.

I also think Renee is right. Sadly many will be dumped, straved, or on their way to Mexico for slaughter.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic looking for Nice horse in New York Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page