junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  07:36:49 AM  Show Profile
I feel so bad....probably will sound a little silly. I feed the birds. My townhouse has a small yard in the back and I had a couple of feeders set out in the open, close to my unit. I bought a new umbrella for the back, so I moved the feeders toward the back by the woods that has a lot of vegetation and trees. I did this so the birds wouldn't make a big mess on my new umbrella. I also thought that since the feeders were closer to the trees, that it would be better for the birds to take shelter. Well....it wasn't a good idea. I did this a week ago and I've lost at least a couple of birds. First, a little Chickadee got into one of the feeders through an opening and died. When I checked the food, I found it lying on top. I buried it in the back...didn't want to throw it in the garbage. It seemed more respectful. Yesterday, when I checked the feeder again, I noticed some loose feathers strewn about and thought maybe some birds got into a fight, as at times birds get territorial about the food. Today, I looked out and saw one of my neighbor's cats with a beautiful red Cardinal in its mouth, so I ran out and yelled, "You son of a *****!" It ran off into the woods. Now I know what the loose feathers were from, who knows how many birds the cat caught! I know that I lost at least two birds this week, and I feel so guilty! Immediately, I took down the feeders and put them away. I didn't think (duh!) that the vegetation in the back was a perfect set up for a cat to hide and pounce onto an innocent bird. Now, I see the birds flying around and chirping looking for the feeders. It's like....what happened? So sweet....and I feel like s***. It's better than them being sitting ducks for the cats. I feel so bad....

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  08:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Judy- That's too bad about the two lost birds. Is there any other place like hanging from the eaves of the house that the feeders could go? Maybe the umbrella could be closer to the vegetation

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  12:32:51 PM  Show Profile
How 'bout hanging the feeders from a tall Sherpherds crook? The kind you can find at the farm and garden supply stores for hanging plants on? That way, you can pretty much put the feeders ANYWHERE in your yard and the cat won't be able to get the birds. Just a thought. Sorry about the birdies. Cats are such oportunistic creatures, but it's their strong hunting instincts that cause them to do the deed so you can't really blame them. Personally, I'd rather have a cat who hunts than one who waits around for me to feed them. But that's just me....

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  2:02:57 PM  Show Profile
Alee, unfortunately, I can't bring out the umbrella closer to the woods, as it is a 'common' area that the other homeowners share, being townhouses. Tracy, I did have the feeders on a shepards hook. Originally, I had it in my fenced area. I'll probably move it into a more open area, toward the center of the lawn. I just have to be careful, being it's a common area, and my next door neighbor has a little girl that likes to play back there. I'll figure it out...miss the little birdies! :( Thanks for the responses.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Edited by - junkjunkie on Aug 04 2008 2:46:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  4:18:48 PM  Show Profile
Ok...went back by the woods to water my tree and saw three other dead birds.... another chickadee, a sparrow and a cardinal. The body count is up to five now. When I went back there, the cat was at his stalking spot and took off. Nearby, there's a birdhouse with babies ready to leave any day. Now I'm worried about them! I don't think I can move the birdhouse, as the parents may abandon them. The dead birds were probably from yesterday. I'm glad I took down the feeders. That rotten cat had a field day!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  4:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh no, Judy! That is too bad! I can understand an occasional cat-kill but that seem gluttonous.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic bummed out! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page