kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  07:46:10 AM  Show Profile
I had an e-mail from Amazon saying my book was sent the 27th. So I should get it in a few days! I am looking forward to getting it.

Has anyone ever taken the spiritual gifts test? My preacher did it years ago. I had the gift of hospitality and something else. I can't remember. I don't know where he got the test but I'm sure someone would know. It's not really a test but a questionaire.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on May 28 2009 07:47:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  08:03:23 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie, you are so right about feeling like a child. No matter how many years we spend on this earth, we will forever be God's children. Just like with our own. No matter how old we are, we're still our mama's babies! There's so much kids can teach us grown-ups, too. How I love that Jesus used children as examples in His teachings! And how wonderful, the fulfillment you've now found in your life!

I am so not surprised, Kris, that you have the gift of hospitality! I bet the "someting else" was nurturer!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  08:04:54 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Nikki! I just try to keep things simple, like TT taught me to do.

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

CityFarmerMaddie
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Madison
Tacoma WA
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  08:37:45 AM  Show Profile
Kristen
You should recieve an email when your book ships. It doesn't usually take very long.
Madison

We are all pumpkin people. Choose which face you carve.
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  10:45:03 AM  Show Profile
I just found this thread. I was an organist in a church for 30 years. There was a lot of conflict which the pastor never tried to stop. I have now found a new church and it is wonderful!! I now look forward to going to church and seeing everyone. Unfortunately, people get turned off by bad experiences and we need to remember we are all sinners and mess up.

I am reading a great book right now called The Shack. It really makes you look at things differently.

I am in the process of becoming a lay minister in the Lutheran church. It is very exciting and I am learning so much.

This thread is wonderful & God's blessings on all of you!
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  10:50:37 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, another one reading The Shack....it's been storming here and I don't want to get out in it but I'm watching for sun so I can make a run to the book store for this book!

Stephanie

Queen of Dreamsz ~ keeper of dream kingdom
* * * * * * www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com * * * * * *

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Albert Einstein ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  12:25:58 PM  Show Profile
I have a question for you all.....I find I'm lazy when it comes to reading the bible. I have no desire to read it. to be honest, I can't even remember the last time I picked it up. how do you get the desire to want to read it?

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  12:41:33 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, what translation do you have?

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

CityFarmerMaddie
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Madison
Tacoma WA
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  12:49:14 PM  Show Profile
melanie
My advice about desire to read the Bible is to ask God for it. I am reading the message Bible this year so it has a daily reading plan but don't get to it every day.

There are alot of other times that I may read a verse or two for a month. With the word being alive the meaning keeps growing.

Maybe you could find a verse and relate it to things in life so it becomes alive for you. Pray scripture over your son. Declare the word of the Lord in your life and home. As for me & my house we will serve the Lord.

I don't believe that God wanted us to read religously but to read to form and strengthen a relationship / friendship with Him. Also you could pick a word or topic and seek what God has to say about it. The Bible could be like a scavenger hunt. Like I have read "Now faith is the substance of things not seen ........" a bunch of times but then one day I read "NOW" faith is the substance of things not seen. Totally different meaning. Being that the faith has to be now for it to work now.
These are just thoughts. I think God has a huge sense of humor and likes us to have fun while we are with Him. He will direct you as to what to read. Here is a website that had many different versions of the Bible and you can look up passages or topics http://www.biblegateway.com/
Madison

Go to Top of Page

GreenAcreGal
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Bev
DeGraff Ohio
USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  2:24:31 PM  Show Profile
What a blessing! One sister posts "WANTED CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP" and we all are blessed!
I can't thank all of you enough for sharing your life and life lessons on here. Looks like we have alot more in common than farmgirls at heart!

Much love to you all!
Bev
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  2:49:04 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, I have the same problem. I'll really get into reading the Bible for a few weeks then lose interest. What helps me is to have a really good daily devotional. It will have a few verses then a story or something to go along with the verses to bring it to life and have more meaning. Streams In The Desert is really good. I read the same ones over and over and get new meaning each time, like Madison said. One day I'll read something then months later I will read it again and see it totally different. I think God made it that way otherwise it would be like any other book. We'd read it once and that'd be it. He wants it to be interesting to us. That's why I like Beth Moore. She can take a book of the Bible or just a verse and make it so interesting to me.

I hope you can find a way to get into the Bible, just to see what God has there for you. There were so many times I had to go there. When my kids were being rebellious or my mom was sick or I was having emotional or spiritual problems. And there it would be, the exact thing I'd need to see at that time. Any other time it would not mean a thing to me. But right then it would be all I needed to know it came from God just for me. And that's what the Bible is, our word from God just for us.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  3:08:35 PM  Show Profile
Reading many posts above, all so good! I took several gifts tests, and they all come out the same. My gifts are healing, service, and discernment. I try to use them as best I can. What a gift it is, though, to know that each and every one of us has gifts given to us that will benefit the kingdom, and all we have to do is use them in relationship with God! Sound simple, harder to do!

Read the Bible. Have a reference Bible to help you understand the history and meaning. The Bible is our only link and tool and way, other than prayer and community in Christ, to have a relationship with Him. Keep seeking a way to learn that will call to you personally.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on May 28 2009 3:14:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  3:42:36 PM  Show Profile
What is so cool about the Bible is it has layers. I think God intended that we could read it without any historical or cultural references and still comprehend the basis of Christian living, beliefs, His love, ect. But once you begin to learn Hebrew, Greek, cultural settings, and physical places you gain such a deeper understanding. Like when Jesus says to Peter, "you are the rock I will build My church", it was so cool to learn that Peter in Greek is Petro meaning rock. Furthermore, this occurs in Caesarea Philippi, which...if I remember right, was a city of pagan religions mainly the Greek god Pan, it was located at the bottom of a huge rock cliff in which figures of Pan were carved into the stone.
I just think that is so cool, and I would have never figured that out on my own, being I am not a Biblical historian nor do I speak Greek.
Ray Vanderlaan has DVDs in which he takes folks to the actual cities in Israel, Turkey, ect and teaches the historical context in relation to the Bible.
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  4:53:19 PM  Show Profile
I have seen those DVDs by Ray Vanderlaan. They are excellent. It helps the Bible come alive.

A translation of the Bible that I like is the NIV Life application study Bible. It is easy to understand and it has notes that explain things.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  5:54:17 PM  Show Profile
Chelsea, I am the exact same way! We once did a study on the numerology of the Bible that was absolutely fascinating. And one on the attire of the high priest and what each piece symbolized. I always have to know "why". And I really like doing historical/scientific research that corroborates the Bible. It is sooooo satisfying to a believer when science confirms the Bible! I have a Hebrew Bible that has Hebrew in one half and the direct English translation in the other. The direct Hebrew translation vs. the KJV will blow you away!

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  04:50:53 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie, so cool that you are getting to use your gift of teaching! And I benefit greatly from remembering that everyone is human and we are prone to making mistakes and disappointing others, but that God is perfect and HE will never let us down.

Laila, I'm glad that you are learning so much and are excited about the new role you will undertake!

Madison, I like your way of putting a new emphasis on familiar scripture. It does make it new!

Bev, so glad that you have found this thread, too. I feel so blesses to get to come on here and find out what others are reading and being encouraged by.

Kris, I find that to be true, too. God's word is fresh everyday. Reminds me of Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is living and active..."

Jeannie, you are such an encourager. Glad to have you here!

Chelsea, I LOVE the Ray Vander Laan Faith Lessons series. Gets me fired up every time I watch them! I used to think, while growing up, "Oh yeah, of course those Bible people had it easy. They actually talked to God and saw His angels and saw 'real' miracles. Believing was easy back then." But Ray Vander Laan makes me realize that faith has been faith. When God promised that Israel would walk across the Jordan on dry land and the priests had to literally take that first step into the flowing water, that was real faith!

Cherry, I use the NIV. Lovin' Man prefers the New King James version, and one day, I will probably succumb to it, because he is always right. HA! But, I love my old Bible. It has all of my favorite passages underlined and I know just the spot where things are on a page and it practically flips itself open to whatever text I am looking up. It has my tears in it and a few pages ripped from the kids carelessly crawling on it when they were babies. It is practically the longest running scrapbook that I have kept. It is really a part of the family!

Today, I am studying these verses, Philippians 4:11-13 "..., for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Once, a while back when I was studying these verses, I passed by someone in church and they asked how I was doing and I said, "I'm content." They gave me the strangest look. It makes me laugh thinking about it now. Isn't it funny that you can shock a person by declaring that you are content? What would happen if we were all content? What kind of world would this be?

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  05:21:37 AM  Show Profile
I have a women's study bible NIV version. I never thought about "praying about it" that makes so much sense.........I just thought of a song that I haven't thought of in awhile, (I am not sure of who sings it) the words go , "open the eyes of my heart Lord, open the eyes of my heart. I want to see you, I want to see you"
I am so very glad that you all are here. What a wonderful blessing it is to be able to be so free with talking about our faith. I just can't imagine what it would be like to live in a country where you could be condemened for what you believe in.

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

yellojewl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Amber
Hurley MO
USA
72 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  05:43:42 AM  Show Profile
Hello all! I'm so excited I ran across this topic. I've spent my morning reading the entire thread. It is great! I have a list of books to look for, verses I want to look up, and a content heart to start my day
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  07:37:45 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad to have found all of you. I've been feeling so lost lately. I am a member of Women of Faith and that helps me some as being a "church person" doesn't seem to fill the void I have felt lately. As a teenager, I was a faithful Christian but as I got older and life went sour, I turned my back on everything. I few years ago DH and I started trying to find our way back and it is been hard and slow. I was raised as Disciples of Christ, but my background is so weird - ancestors who followed Brigham Young from Missouri to Utah, a Catholic father, a Christian Science great-grandfather - I never know which way to turn. I have been to several other churches and finally came back to where I was raised, but I'm still not happy there.

Recently, a wonderful woman who I knew when we were children and teenagers died. Several of the gals in our church cannot get over it. They have labeled God as cruel and mean for doing this to her and her family. While they were crying and carrying on, all I could think of was the book of Job. If she did, indeed, grow up to be this fantastic person, and if her faith was as strong and wonderful as they all say, then God must love her very much.

I am currently reading a Christian fiction series by Terry Blackstock, but the next book on my list is The Shack. I have several WOF books that I am also going to read. My favorites among them right now are Patsy Clairmont and Sheila Walsh. I will be looking at some of the books recommended here and see what I can find.

Also, at the last WOF conference, my daughter bought me the New Testament on CD that I listen to in my car. It has all of these "stars" as the different characters. Jim Caveziel, who was Jesus in "The Passion of The Christ" is Jesus on the CDs. I love this. For me, it is so much easier than trying to read. I just pop it in my player in the car and go for it. Now, I need to find the Old Testament, which to me is as important as the New.

I want to thank you for this post. I feel that I will be finding my way back a lot easier than I was when struggling by myself.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  08:17:05 AM  Show Profile
Amber....I like what you said, "a content heart to start my day" that is so great!

farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

CityFarmerMaddie
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Madison
Tacoma WA
USA
173 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  08:50:50 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Father for this place that we meet to declare that you are righteous, holy, and all in all. We enter your courts with thanksgiving and praise. You are the only way Jesus. Thank Father for your many blessings. I pray peace, prosperity, protection and abundance upon all who read this. I pray that we will do everything with you. Take you to the grocery store, out in the field we will meet you, have a picnic with you, rest with you, work with you, be with you.
Amen

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  08:56:10 AM  Show Profile
I'd have to agree with Madison, on the Bible reading. There are times when I know my Bible is just sitting there collecting dust because desires to read it is lacking. Praying for God to give you a love for His Word is one of those prayers that He answers a most definite YES!! Remember it says in Psalms that if you Delight yourself in Him (which also means His inspired Word) that He will give you the desires of your heart. You are praying for God to give you the desire to obey one His commands! :D
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  10:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Bible fact of the day: :)

The word manna translates from the Hebrew as What is it? When God began to provide food for those wandering in the desert, he provided a white flaky substance. The Isrealites had to gather it by the time the dew dried and could only keep enough for one day, or it would spoil. I am sure at the beginning everyone looked up and said, "What is it?" So it is called manna. A sample of it was even taken n the ark for future generations. Read Exodus chapter 16.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  12:11:18 PM  Show Profile
Shirley,
Do you think maybe that they were told to gather it up before the dew because God wanted them to follow His other command of rising early to meet Him? ;) I love your fact! It picks my brain and makes me think beyond the box...:D
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  1:12:59 PM  Show Profile
Keep thinking beyond the box, and the bible gets to be a wonderful friend. That is a great insight!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Family Matters: Previous Topic Wanted-Christian Fellowship Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page