kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  07:02:42 AM  Show Profile
So after coming home from spending time with my momma and family, we come to a dark house. It was 9:30 PM, so 'duh' it would be dark. Well we had no electricity. No sooner than we figured it out, a utility truck was in our driveway. (Talk about fast service when they arrive before you call! haha) Lighting had struck the transformer on the pole behind our house that is in our neighbor's yard. They took a look at it and left. Umm ok? Then about 30 minutes, a whole slew of trucks come and here comes the party. WOOHOO. About 10 fellers came and not one come to the door, but all were standing there. I felt like the Verizon commercial and I was ready for the one guy to say "can you hear me now?"

I had to move my car and they put boards down to back the truck to the back yard (yeah my grass is flattened...grr...I hope it didn't kill it because I just sewed it a month ago. Then they get to work.

Finally the whole crew and our house party left about 2:30 AM. Hubby had to get up for work and I've got to run to a meeting in a few. I tried to find a few single men for my single gal friends (haha). Hubby and I kept singing "Witchita Lineman" and I told him that he needed to bring out his acoustic guitar.

Well...what did I do for 5 hours besides looking to see what they were doing? We had a ton of candles and flashlights going and I cleaned!! It was the funniest thing. Usually I'm too busy to go through a few piles that I have here and there. Well last night I got it all done, got a pile to shred, got the stuff recycling done, and organized a few papers under candlelight. It was quite a hoot. Even read a few magazines under candlelight.

Thank goodness it wasn't the middle of winter or summer. The workmen were extremely nice. But we are glad to have our electricity back.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  07:08:07 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, Jess! You must have quite a storm there...we were supposed to get thunder and lightning, but all we got was RAIN and more RAIN. Incidentally, I'm glad there was no thunder because Rose, our 115 lb. shepherd is terrified...

I'm glad you got your electric back on and that you had some "down time" to get some organizing and cleaning done!!!

Can't wait to see you this weekend!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  09:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Isn't that funny how when the electricity goes out we get going? I do that too. Hmmm...Maybe I should turn off the main breaker when Doug goes to work...maybe then my house would get cleaned and packed!

It certainly goes to show you that we have a lot of electronic distractions in our lives, even if we don't mean to. I secretly relish the nights when the electricity goes out. It's fun to feel the world unwinding. It almost like you can feel the very air around you take a breath of relief.

Of course-- I would be lost without my internet if it was gone for too long!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  10:26:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh, gosh! Glad you were able to put the time to good use though! I like Alee's idea. :) If I shut off my electric during the day, I would probably get a ton of stuff done! lol
We only had our lights flicker during the storm here. But, the neighborhood my friend lives in about a mile away from us, was hit by a tornado! (Her house is ok.) No wonder I was woken up by the tornado siren!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  7:06:09 PM  Show Profile
It couldn't come at a worst time as I had a bunch of stuff that needed be printed off and sent off this morning...but thankfully I got everything printed off this morning before a meeting. Hubby and I were dragging our tails all day from being tired. I'm getting ready to head to bed myself.

We've had some rather wild weather so far here. Our neighbors ended up having to cut down all of their tree and its so weird without seeing this huge shade tree in their front yard.

Karin - I hope that your friend and her family are alright! Goodness...that's too scary!

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic In the Dark Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page