Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Getting control of finances...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Getting control of finances... Next Topic
Page: of 4

matty
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Martha
Piney Creek NC
USA
18 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  1:52:30 PM  Show Profile
I just realized, you are right... I am greener as well. Less shopping trips, less errands (all at once, thank you!), less stuff coming in and more using up! Not bad, eh?

Looking for NC Farm Girls in the NW Mtns. !
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  2:00:49 PM  Show Profile
I don't feel like I'll ever get our gas and electric bills down. I live in a cottage with 5 rooms and 8 windows, and a brand new furnace, and our gas/electric bills have been about $200.00 every month with the thermostat on 64. Seriously. THANK YOU DUKE ENERGY!!!! Aside from that, I'm constantly chasing after my husband to turn the lights off. I came home from work last night to find every light on in the house, and he was in the BACK of the house in the very last room and had been so for hours.

Does anyone else live with someone who isn't playing on the same team? How do you do it? I mean, without sounding like someone's mother!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  2:07:55 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, the more I hear, the more I think Jim & Jus need to be roomies!.. I grew up with a Marine with specific rules & many pertained to energy conservation. Jim, however, will turn on every light in the garage, exercise area, big family room , utility & bath & then sit & watch TV. I go bonkers!!
I know what you mean about Duke. We did not use our furnace at all (woodburnung stove) & our electric bills still run from $175 to $250 in the winter. I just do not understand that.
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  2:23:04 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,
I know what you mean about the lights etc. My kids do the same thing. I will make them get up and go turn stuff off, if they are in another room. They have been better since I am more of a stickler now.
I know, I am a mean ol' Mom.

My electric isn't too bad, but we have our own power company in town. I think they don't try to make a huge profit or anything.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on May 20 2008 2:24:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  2:38:23 PM  Show Profile
Amanda, have you looked around town at some of the businesses that may have old pallets that they are not keeping and are free for the hauling? They make the best compost bins. I have one that has two stations and I flip the stuff back and forth and a pile for usage just because I haven't picked up any more pallets.

Betty
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  3:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
I hear ya girls!! Now that the temps have reached 100 here in Texas my kids are going in and out and leaving the doors open. I am constantly going around shutting the back door, front door, then the hubby goes into the garage and I'm shutting the door behind him! Every light in the house is on!! And every door is open letting my precious air conditioning cool the country side!! ugg! In the heat so summer it is common for my bill to be $260 but I have been keeping it under $200 by not running the dryer (using clothesline) and grilling more outdoors, along with a few other tricks! I have really seen a major increase in my bill!! It is such a great feeling!!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

matty
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Martha
Piney Creek NC
USA
18 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  3:48:16 PM  Show Profile
We are in an electric cooperative, so we don't pay too much, compared with others. We do use the energy efficient lights and I do spend a great deal of time running around turning off things. However, it is getting better. Now, I just ask if he is going into the room again. He gets up and turns off the light. It is like having a remote! LOL

For heat in the winter, we have insulated the house as much as we can. Our house was built in 1917 and has very little in the form of updating (by choice). We switched to propane this year, fireplace and heater, and our bills dropped for heat and electric. We also insulated all the windows, caulked 'em all, insulated around the doors and storm doors and sealed off under the house. I wish there was more we could do. Ideas? Oh, and we insulated the attic heavily...

Looking for NC Farm Girls in the NW Mtns. !
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  4:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Gosh! Doug is so bad about lights/conservation. I come home some times to find all the lights on, the _huge_ tv that he bought with his own money before we were married is on and loud, and he is in the other room with the door shut playing computer games with headphones on. ??? I seriously don't get it. Oh an he usually has the light shut off in the room where he plays his games. *rolls eyes* Obviously the dog needs the lights on?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  6:14:12 PM  Show Profile
I have to follow my housemaate around like I'm her mom, shut off that light, did you close the door? etc etc. She's 26 years old! I love her, though, because she cleans the bathroom and empties the dishwasher, two of my least favorite chores.

I'm lucky in that my house is largely shaded... Jonni my house is about 900 square feet - and that's being generous! - so it's frustrating when the gas and electric are so high. One thing is, with a house that size you have outside walls touching almost all of your square footage so it's probably harder for your house to hold heat or a/c.

Martha I like your suggestions about weatherstripping and insulating. I really, really need to do that. I need new storms, too. Mine are pretty bad!

Been trying NOT to use the A/C - opening the windows in the evening and shutting them in the morning. Does anybody know how much electric the ceiling fans use? I do love my ceiling fans so.

Alee I have to confess, I don't leave lights on for the dog but sometimes I do leave the radio on when I'm gone all day! That mutt Mildred is spoiled. Though I think all she does all day is sit on the couch (since i'm not there to shoo her off) and look out the window, waiting for me to come home.

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  12:38:54 PM  Show Profile
Hey Everyone, haven't been able to join in here in a few days... going on my 7th straight day of work... on an Alzheimer's unit... 32 weeks pregnant. I am EXHAUSTED! However, I just got done reading all the posts and I checked out all the links you all told me about... GREAT STUFF. I have been doing a good job cutting back on my expenses. I am also 'greener.' With my baby on the way, I am doing the best I can to save! I am also having a yard sale this Friday to make some extra money :o) I hope I have a good turn-out... I am selling a TON of stuff. Alee, do you have some info on cloth diapering? I am planning to do that with Cooper. It's so amazing that you saved so much $ cloth diapering Nora. Also, I have 3 crocheted stuffed animals (Pooh bear, Eeyore, and a CareBear). Does anyone have any idea how much I should ask for them if I put them up for sale in our forum where we sell stuff?
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  12:46:51 PM  Show Profile
I had a little "chat" with Justin about our expenditures and told him that I'd really like to track our usage on the gas and electric this month. We just got our bill today, and the balance is going down, but that's because we have had the furnace turned on in a bit.

Like Amanda, my home is shaded, and we have a covered porch, so the front room stays cool for the dogs--I too leave on the radio for them, and a hall light when we go away at night. I don't trust lamps :)...

We've been talking about all the "extras" we spend money on. After our weekend trip at the end of May, which I consider our last big "brewhaha!", I am going to start putting money back instead of spending $10 here and there on silly stuff or a bottle of wine, or whatever. I don't want us to not have any fun, just maybe not take our fun for granted.

Aside from that, our only issue is gasoline (still). It's 3.90 here today, and that's up from last week. It really cuts into any money that I could save....gosh, when I think that we'll be married 7 years this August, and that when we were first together it cost me $9.00 to fill up my car, I just cringe--now it's $32.00.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  12:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cecily-

I could write a book about cloth diapering! There are some great threads down in the parenting section, but here is the run down:
Types of Diapers:
Flat Fold- a Square of all cotton fabric that when folded in various ways is pinned into a diaper shape. Requires a diaper wrap
Chinese/Indian Pre-Folds- You still need to know how to fold the diaper- Prefold is a misnomer. Pinning and wraps required.
Contoured Diapers- Cut and sewn to look like disposables. These can be pinned, closed with velcro snaps or some can be sewn as "pull ons" for older munchkins. Need a wrap unless designated "AIO"
"AIO" Or "All In One"- Just like the Contoured Diaper but has PUL fabric for the outer layer not touching the skin. This eliminates the need for a diaper wrap, however they take longer to dry.

Some people say you need to "soak" the diapers in a pail, but with today's efficient washers you don't really need to. Baby poop washes clean. If I wash a large load of messy diapers I will run a rinse through first and then wash as normal. Once they get older and are on solid foods you can dump the solid stuff in the toilet without any issues.

We use wash clothes as wipes- you can get 18 for $5 at Wally World. The flat folds are great- for a newborn you can start out with a 22-26 inch square. So you can get roughly 4 per yard. Flannel which is what we used runs about $2-4 a yard. We needed to have about 24 flat folds on hand so 6 yards of fabric was needed so for $12-24 we had diapers for the first 3 months. Diaper wraps run about $9 a piece and we like to have 3-4 on hand. The small squares lasted until Nora was about 4 months old, then we had to up to about 30 inch squares.

Now that she is walking we do the contoured diapers. I would be glad to tell you more or bump the cloth diapering threads for you if you want! Doug and I both love cloth diapers! I don't know what we would have done if we had to buy disposables all the time!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  12:58:03 PM  Show Profile
Alee, THANKS!!!! I printed your post for reference. You have helped me so much!
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  1:46:31 PM  Show Profile
I need to have a garage sale, too. One instance where living on a tiny dead-end street does NOT pay off! Maybe I can get together with a friend and do it at her house. Good call, Cecily.

My mom said she was at Macy's today and it was totally dead, the salespeople were just standing around talking to each other. On the other hand, she said Sam's Club was hopping. But people weren't buying the books and furniture and misc. junk, they were all buying groceries.

I'm bummed that I wasn't able to ride my bike to work at all this week, due to meetings and such, but I have managed to keep my driving to a bare minimum. And I *love* to drive my ratty old convertible in this weather. (Come July it will be intolerable.) But the bike is great. Now I just need a basket to make it more practical.

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  2:01:26 PM  Show Profile
Boy, Jonni, you are so right about the cost of fuel. I got a call this morning about a small credit I had with the oil company. So I asked her what the price of fuel oil is right now. $4.39 a gallon! Thank God we use very little oil, but I keep the tank full. Plus we get fuel for the tractor too. I figure it will be close to $700. for just what we will need. I think I may get it now though since the word is it will be $5. a gallon by July. We heat mostly with wood, I am waiting to see how much that goes up.We will for sure be getting some of wood out of our forest this year.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  6:43:55 PM  Show Profile
Well, I made it all the way to "pay day" - aka the day I pay myself my allowance for the week. I decided that keeping 2 weeks worth of cash on hand was probably not a great idea for a beginner like me. So, I'm happy about that! 1 week of budget down, many more to go.

How long until it starts to feel normal?

If gas prices keep going up at this rate I will have to adjust the budget already! Ouch.

~Amanda in OK~

Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  05:28:31 AM  Show Profile
Well, I had my yard sale yesterday and made a little over $200.00. I am VERY happy about that. Plus, my aunt bought a couch from us for $100.00. So, in all, we raked in $300.00. It's going towards paying off my car so my hubby won't have that extra payment while i'm on maternity leave. Not bad for a day's work!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  06:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's great Cecily! I hope my yard sale goes as well!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  07:04:01 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I went looking at houses yesterday, just to get an idea. I am amazed at how people try to sell to you that you need all this "space". I am talking over 2000 for 3 people. I just keep thinking about heating and cooling, taxes, maintenance. I found another fixer upper and the real estate agent told me no one wanted it because it was too small or not modern enough. I loved it!! I look at my bank account and that house and think it is gold!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  3:12:05 PM  Show Profile
Heather, isn't it fun when you finally find a gem? :D Does it need structural work (beware) or the finishes just haven't been "updated"? I like them better when they still have the original stuff. When I bought my house it was structurally sound, it was just small (900 sq ft) and boring. But it was a great investment if you ask me! I've spent some money on paint and new tile (to replace cheap rolled vinyl, over several years) and, oh baby... now I get compliments. It was so worth it, and now I have a little patch of ground to call my own.

Good luck with your house hunting!

~Amanda in OK~

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  3:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I thinking it would probably need structural but that will be factored into purchase price (after a FULL inspection) and then updated from the original 1960's style and finishes.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  3:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I want a little house! Our apartment is about the perfect size. If you could slap on a basement for storage and possible extra rooms added later- it would be just about perfect!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 24 2008 :  4:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Maybe I am a dreamer, but I see a little house and I can "see" a little cottage style house in the rough. I am so excited even though we won't be moving for at least a year, I can start looking and planning and dreaming!!!

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  8:15:24 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE little houses. My house is tiny and funky, and I love it. It makes you keep your "stuff" down to a minimum.
It was built late forties, early fifties and has a lot of "character."

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  06:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kate- Isn't it funny to see how small the closets are in older houses as compared to now?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Getting control of finances... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page