Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Getting control of finances...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Getting control of finances... Next Topic
Page: of 4

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  07:07:57 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
When I did the tour on one of the houses, the closets are very short in height because the builder (smartly) built them into corners where they wouldn't waste floor space. I was excited-the realtor kept telling me "well you can re-do." HA!! I would paint the inside hot pink or turquoise and install 2 bars across to increase space- cost less than $50. Remodel- $$$$$thousands$$$~~~

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  10:36:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am thinking the older generations had it right and I am thinning my closet down and am planning on only buying high quality, organic when possible from now on. I will probably have a clothes trunk as well for things that I hand make as I learn how! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 26 2008 :  7:43:39 PM  Show Profile
My house has a whopping two closets - one in each bedroom. And that's all she wrote. I have learned to be pretty good at keeping my possessions organized and paring down stuff I don't need.

I have a 1946 "war house" so it's a pretty straightforward little thing, but I like to think my decorating gives it much personality. LOVE the hot pink closets idea! :D

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  10:13:48 AM  Show Profile
Amanda, you and I have the same house, I think! Only, the "original" house had one bedroom/one closet, a linen closet and pantry. It was built in 1946 for returning GI's and is called a "honeymoon cottage"....I really like it, though, and when they added on in the 1950's, they put in a silly little closet that I took out in our "remodel" of 2007. So, back to one closet!!!!

We are not so great at streamlining items. I seem to keep lots of papers and cards.

I'm getting ready to buy a sleigh bed with a storage drawer built underneath. Makes sense for sweaters and the like.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  10:18:42 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I looked over finances today and we are actually plus a few hundred dollars this month!! YIPPEE!! Finally can get back on track with savings. Things that have been working/helping:
1. Lists- whether grocery or things to do, this keeps me on track and in check with how much I am spending. Also, makes my trips to the grocery store faster.
2. Lights off/unplugging. It stays light here until around 8:30 now, so no reason to pop on a light at all until it is almost bedtime. If I leave the front door open and the window shades up, I can see just fine. I have unplugged 2 lamps we never use and moved all of my cell phone charges to a power strip I can turn off.
3. Clotheline drying- I did use my dryer this week a bit more as Charlie was sick and I had to do a lot of washing but today I laid out the whites on the porch and they were dry in an hour and VERY white.
4. Keeping a debt chart- I can watch it go down each month, which is way cool!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 27 2008 :  11:43:15 AM  Show Profile
Heather I like the debt chart idea!

I too have a power strip that my computer, modem, laptop, tv, dvd player, lamp, etc are all plugged into. I flip the switch on when I want to use the computer or watch tv, and leave it off the rest of the time.

Yesterday, I finally remembered to turn the hot water heater down. It's got an insulated jacket on it too since it's in the garage. Trying to train myself not to use a ton of hot water at the kitchen sink, too.

The hand-made clothesline is up and running (or, not running!) and I haven't had to use the dryer in a week or so.

Not doing as well with the "allowance" as I ended up giving myself more money for the holiday weekend, but I am back on track now.

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  10:03:20 PM  Show Profile
I was a bad Mommy and bought a new dress to wear to the weddings I am invited to this year.
I have been trying NOT to buy anything brand new, with the few exceptions (socks, underwear and DD's bathing suits to name a few...)
As I am replacing clothes that no longer fit me, I have been trying to shop at the thrift store first.

In my defense, I scoured my usual thrifts stores for a few months hoping to find a dress/outfit that would suffice or work with what I already have. The first wedding is Saturday afternoon.

Several things worked against me.

My old little black dress I wore to everything is now too big, hence the search for a new one.
I now wear a 12 (Yay!!) and apparently so does everyone else.
Cost. It couldn't cost more than fifteen bucks, AND it has to be washable.

I found a really cute and flattering dress at Target of all places for the hefty price of ten bucks on clearance. I am thinking it was meant to be.
Plus it "goes" with every thing I already own for real dress up. (shoes , cute little purse etc.)

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  1:42:08 PM  Show Profile
Kate, I don't think you were a bad mommy at all... $10.00 for a dress is a pretty darn good deal! You may not have found a better deal thrifting. Great job!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Getting control of finances... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page