Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Getting control of finances...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Getting control of finances... Next Topic
Page: of 4

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  8:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
http://natural-products.suite101.com/article.cfm/washing_clothes_for_pennies

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  02:14:02 AM  Show Profile
Heather and Alee, You two have REALLY given me hope! Thank you sooooo much for the encouragement, web-links, resources, and hugs! We are having a yardsale on the 24th this month and I am putting a TON of stuff in it- furniture, books, televisions, clothes, kitchen stuff, pictures. I am getting rid of a lot of stuff. Alee, I talked to my hubby about doing the cloth diapering thing- which I am all for doing. After telling him how much $ it will save, he thinks it is a great idea. I haven't had a chance to check out all the links that you all posted, I plan on doing that later today when I get home from work... it is 5:12 A.M. here and I have to be at work in 45 minutes. So I best sign off for now... again, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
Go to Top of Page

matty
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Martha
Piney Creek NC
USA
18 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  04:14:18 AM  Show Profile
How neat to find this new thread! I am now officially on summer break and have spent this week cleaning, pondering, and reviewing my lifestyle. Yes, out of debt is the best way to go at life. Yes, natural is better, too. I look at all the folks I work with who are constantly sick; I know it is from their materialistically focused, unhealthy diet lifestyle. Rant done.

Textbooks -- Amazon has them; www.bookbyte.com; www.facultybooks.com. These are all good sites. There are others, as well. Give 'em a go and see what you can find. They are considerably less than new ones! You might also see if the publisher has a e-text. These are extremely affordable.

Someone mentioned Dave Ramsey. Give his website a look. There are many great ideas there!

Keep inspiring me, farm gals!

Looking for NC Farm Girls in the NW Mtns. !
Go to Top of Page

matty
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Martha
Piney Creek NC
USA
18 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  04:20:00 AM  Show Profile
What is a Compact?? -- I forgot to address this one..

A compact is an agreement between individuals (think Mayflower Compact in American History). A compact agreement assures those participating that members will help each other, reassure each other, nudge each other when one sees a problem or issue, and be there in agreement with others to achieve a common goal.

In this case, the compact is that we each agree on gaining control of our finances. We will help and encourage each other, remind each other of the goal, and support each other in achieving this goal. How you accomplish this is your compact with those in your household. It is how you agree to attain this goal.

Hope this helps!

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  05:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I have a lot to say about this subject as the costs of living in CA and moving several times just about wiped us out. I have been through some tough times and I really know all the farmgals here put their families well being first. You will get a lot of ideas just by searching this site.

I think people make the mistake of thinking they need all this stuff to live. I like a nice comfortable home, but that can be anywhere you are. If you can't paint, use pictures to dress up a wall. I have all silver and glass frames. Costs a little more but the impact is great. I also had one of my favorite pics blown up in black and white to a really large pic. Again, costs a little $$ but it was a family Christmas present and it takes up a whole wall in our bedroom and looks fantastic. I also keep all my color the same throughout, makes the place look pull together, simple and I can switch stuff around.

I agree with the whole snowball debt idea. I just paid off a small one that had high interest. I doubled the payment and now I feel better. I pay about $25-50 extra on everything else if I can. Simple living is allowing me to pay more. And don't forget to pay yourself first. Even if it is only $20 into savings, it is still a savings. I pay myself everytime we get money in.

I am growing a few plants on the porch this year. Hopefully, next year we will be in a house and I can grow larger amounts. I am testing the ground here, with a change in weather, longer growing seasons here, I am still learning. I learning simple meals are cost effective and easier to clean up. Just the other night, I had some left over bacon so I add white beans, seasonings, a little parmesan cheese and cooked it up until it was thick. Served with some left over crust bread and some fruit for dessert, it was filling, yummy and cheap.

Clothing- I do as I mentioned above. I am going to start working again, so I need to build a nice professional wardrobe. The ladies here have been so helpful in giving me a lot of ideas. I am a simple gal and don't really worry what I dress like, as long as it is appopriate and comfortable. I wear the same style of stuff around the house and out in general but I don't mind.

Our lifestyle is not what you typically find out there but we are very happy. It does take a mindset and change in attitude and you seem to have both. That is great!! I will see what other links I can find.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  06:11:43 AM  Show Profile
Alee how well does the homemade laundry soap work? I have a lot of dark clothes and professional clothes, and they have to LAST 'cause I can't afford to replace them all the time. But man do I get sick of shelling out big bucks for detergent! I tend to buy the earth-friendly kind, which is even more expensive.

Heather, thanks for sharing with us too. It's nice to know there are so many of us in the same boat, especially when i'm surrounded by people driving lexus and eating out every night. Me, I'd rather have a fresh home-cooked meal. :D

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  06:37:54 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Amanda- believe me, you are not as along as you think. I lived in a pricey area and what you see on the outside was not what was going on on the inside.

My landlady was a perfect example. We lived in a duplex on their property. Rent was $1000 for us, $1200 for the other couple. So that is $2200 a month she had coming in. Her hubby had a very good job as a contractor, building things like Taco Bells, Walmarts, etc...all over California. They had a very cute bungalow style house, all on about an acre of land, which is California is rare and $$$. She drove a Land Rover and he drove a massive truck. They had 2 kids who were into everything and had all the latest expensive toys, they went on vacations to Aruba and the Carribean 2 times a year and we always running around to do something.

I went to babysit one night and the inside of their house is literally falling down. They had nothing inside except a couch, a dining set, the kitchen tile was falling down, a bedroom set, a bed in each kids room. The duplexes we lived in needed major work- our bathroom along was rusting and rotting out and they never put new windows in the back because as she said "you can't see them from the road, so who will know". It was bad but the image they projected was that they were loaded. She amditted she lived on CC's and thank goodness her hubby had a work one or they would be starving. Don't buy into the "image" of what is around you. You will be surprised that you are probably doing a lot better than those people who make you feel inadequate in some way.

We have a very basic house, simple, pretty, easy to take care of, more time for the family and doing hobbies, having fun. People comment that they think we are poor because we don't have stuff, my house is very neat and clean and comfortable and I am happy.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  07:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amanda-

The homemade laundry soap works great! I love it and we rarely by store detergent anymore. Occasionally if we happen to go to Costco when we are low, Doug will put some in the cart, but this last time I had him help me made it and when he realized how long it's going to last us- I think he was converted!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  07:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I second the homemade laundry detergent and I am going to try the dishwashing ideas. Also, can you switch over to water and vinegar, baking soda, maybe a Dr. Bronner's soap to clean with? Think about how much you spend on cleaning products a month. I just purchased a HUGE bottle of vinegar and large box of baking soda(had a coupons) and spend less than $7, which I will stretch the use of each to months.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  11:42:10 AM  Show Profile
I like the idea, plus it's much greener. As soon as I use up the 75 products that I have under the sink, I'm going to make my own. The laundry detergent will run out way before the other stuff.

I read some where that white vinegar works fine for fabric softener - anybody know?
I also like to put a satchel of lavender in the dryer, makes the clothes smell so nice!

I try not to let anybody make me feel inadequate, I'm just amazed sometimes at how superficial ppl are. Heather that story about your landlord is a crazy example. That's why I don't use credit cards anymore, I don't want to end up a slave to debt.

I put myself through college and grad school and moved across the country by myself and bought a little house by myself so I have a lot of things to be proud of, but I also have too much debt and I need to be smarter about money. So THANK YOU gals for being so helpful and inspirational!

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  11:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I was always independent but it didn't really hit me until I had Charlie just how terrific I am just as I am and I want everyone, especially women, to feel the same way. I have worked in places where material living is put before honest, loving living and I hate it. I can come off as snobby but I just don't think what you wear, who you know, what you have, $$$$$, or that you are up on the latest greatest makes a person, In fact, I think it makes you nothing if you don't own who you are and put it out there. I don't want to look or be like everyone else and if they don't accept me, well they are missing out on one fantastically fun gal!!!

Everyone is just trying to get through life. Some put on false fronts and never live, others truly live with no false sense at all. It's a conscious choice.

I can't tell you how many times I see women with "the ideal life" who are perfect in everyway to the outside world complaining about debt, not being thin enough, hating their lives. Life is precious and you need to be happy with you!!!

Ok....enough ranting. Need to go track my bills....

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

matty
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Martha
Piney Creek NC
USA
18 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  4:46:14 PM  Show Profile
The vinegar is GREAT as a fabric softener. There are several great books on organic and natural cleaners on the market. This seems to be a good site for ideas and information:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/make-your-own-non-toxic-cleaning-kit.html

I scrubbed my tub yesterday with white vinegar and hot water. The scum came right off! It was so cool to see it happen as I watched.

And AMEN to the comments on living beyond one's means. It reminds me of what Granma used to say about being all dressed up with a dirty neck...

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  6:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I second the Vinegar as a fabric softener. It works great! Vinegar is our go-to cleaner here around the house and I am sooo thankful that I learned a few years ago to clean the green way. I don't have to put "child locks" on my any of my cupboards because there just aren't toxic cleaners in the house.

I also love the fact that I can honestly say- I get more excited about shopping Salvation Army, thrift Shops, and garage sales than I ever do about going the "new" stores!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  8:11:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm liking these ideas. So you just buy a big ol' bottle at Sam's Club and go to town? Put some in a squirt bottle, keep some in the laundry room too? Sounds simple enough.

I read that if you use baking soda and vinegar together they essentially neutralize each other and you're wasting your time, unless you're trying to clear a drain.

Here's to no toxic cleaners!

Also read that Tupperware and Rubbermaid products are ok to microwave and put in the dishwasher, but all those disposable plastic containers are kind of bad news. So I think next time I hit the garage sales I am going to start expanding my Tupperware collection. I bet Mom has a bunch too. ;-)

~Amanda in OK~

Edited by - DearMildred on May 16 2008 8:14:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

matty
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Martha
Piney Creek NC
USA
18 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  06:40:28 AM  Show Profile
I buy the store brand of white vinegar and it works great. No need to spend extra on the name brand stuff. Add about 1/2 cup per load. Cheap enough, isn't it!?

Yes, the vinegar and baking soda DO make one HUGE noise, foams like a volcano (remember doing this in elementary school?), and counteract each other. But, I use the combination in my toilet as it "foams" to the rim and then I just need to do a quick swish and I am done! And it smells good, too!

Have you tried adding borax to your laundry? It will brighten the whites and the colours as well. Quite sweet!

Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  11:03:38 AM  Show Profile
I use the Borax all the time. I like the box. ;-) Though I think I may look for a cute old-fashioned tin to put it in.

When I took the cupboard doors off in my kitchen (around the sink, to make decorative open shelves - I painted the back of the cupboard) I saved the old doors and today I scubbed them up, I am using them horizontally for shelves in the laundry room. They still have the old hinges so they look pretty cute. Can't wait till my milk bottles and milk crate from Alee get here! Gonna look so cute, and it's all about the recycling.

I am making my own soap spray insecticide for my tomatoes and zucchini, rather than buying. Very similar to the laundry soap in that you dissolve a bar of ivory as a base. http://www.ahmercantile.com/catalog/pests.php

SO proud, I bought everything on my list this morning and stayed within my $50 budget, including the huge jug of vinegar for cleaning. Realized when I was standing in line that I forgot to even bring my checkbook and debit card!

~Amanda in OK~

Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  6:59:30 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by catscharm74

Well, we have faced the lion and boy, is it sure roaring at me!!!

I did a quick inventory of where the heck our money is actually going and here is an eye opener. Between the dates of March 15th until May 11th, we spent nearly $270.00 on just eating out. YIKES!!!

I am really tweaking things and I plan on, once I get paid, to put that exact amount into our savings and take it out of the budget this month. I am also planning a price book on things I use all the time- dog food, eggs, milk, bread, cheese, juice, pasta, bananas, tomatoes, onions, diapers/wipes, etc...to see how the price goes up and down and how I can do best on each purchase and where to buy. I am thinking of heading back to Costco.

I am hoping to inspire you, not scare you , to take a look at your finances, if you are not already. I want to help you and you can help me stay on track.

I must go lay down now.......

Heather

FARMGIRL #90

i track our finances and try to live frugally. We don't do alot of eating out. I am going to try www.thegrocerygame.com too - there is a trial period to see if it works. I know keeping better track on what you spend on will be a good eye opener. have fun!

AngiK

For he is faithful that promised. Hebrews 10:23

check out Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 17 2008 :  7:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Amanda!

I took a bunch of boxes to Fed-Ex today so your milk bottles are on their way! I know you will love them!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

matty
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Martha
Piney Creek NC
USA
18 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  3:28:30 PM  Show Profile
The grocery game worked great for me; I just had to really plan my shopping. It didn't help that I don't have any of the usual grocery stores they list nearby. I had to shop while I was at work, an hour away, and figure out how to get everything home safely.

I found an inspected dairy where I could purchase whole milk for $2; I make cheese, butter, and drink the milk. Yummers! You can make cheese from store bought milk, too, that is really tasty and very inexpensive.

Another source you might want to look at, if you have other folks to order with you, is www.somethingbetternaturalfoods.com. They are vegetarian and the prices are super. It is easy to order and it is delivered, if you order enough, at a very affordable rate. I think the cut-off is $250 for delivery. I order with a coop, so I don't have to add shipping.

You are all inspiring me to stay focused with my lifestyle AND money! Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  07:52:27 AM  Show Profile
Yay Alee! Can't wait!

Matty, thanks for reminding me - I need to check around for local milk. I know there's a dairy not too far away. Don't have the first clue how to make butter and cheese though! mmm... cheese...

Happy to report that I have successfully stayed within my budget, and even managed to pay off two doctor's bills and pay my friend back for all the cedar he bought to build my new clothesline. We got the posts built and up, just need to put the line on. It's *so* pretty - laundry day is this Friday, haven't been excited about laundry day in a long time.

Question: When I have money left over at the end of the week - when it's time for me to "pay myself" again - I have three goals. 1) savings 2) pay off credit card debt and 3) put money toward planned projects like my raised bed, compost bin, garden shed, etc.

I will be unhappy if I don't keep working toward my outdoor projects, and I don't want to cut that out. Improving my yard *and* my lifestyle at the same time, and building everything from scratch so I learn some basic carpentry. Plus, things like the garden shed actually improve the value of my home since our WWII-era houses have teensy one car garages. I would be able to actually park my car in the garage if I could get the bike, the lawnmower, and all the tools and potting stuff out of there.

Saving up for these projects is hopefully going to teach me some patience, a virtue I was NOT born with.

Anyway, should I just split my leftover cash into thirds? Anybody have any suggestions? I would appreciate any advice.

I have one doctor's bill left to pay off and then I won't have any "little" bills outstanding - just the mortgage, credit card and student loans, but there are always unforeseen expenses like car repairs, occasional gifts (friend getting married) and social obligations (or lunch meetings), etc. Do you all try to budget for stuff like that, or do you put your extra into savings and just pull from it only when absolutely necessary?

~Amanda in OK~

Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  12:21:41 PM  Show Profile
Money, It's Not Just for Rich People has greatly inspired me to become more finacially goal oriented to my life purpose. The author, Janine Bolon, has the grocery store game in it. (different from the website)
She has also written a book for teens, Cash, Cars & College.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  1:52:12 PM  Show Profile
My goodness! I have just read all of the posts and you gals sure are amazing!! We have been cutting back quite a bit since my husband lost his job of 24 years. He is now working for the Postal Service, but he is making half what he used to make. And we do not have health benefits as he is still considered a temporary employee. So, I have been making a lot of changes here at the Smith house. As of now I have:
1. not used the central air (in Georgia that is almost impossible to do)
2. begun making my own laundry soap again
3. started hanging the clothes back out on the line (thank goodness for lovely breezes!)
4. Cook on the grill as much as possible to keep the heat out of the house
5. Planted a large garden
6. Moved in a little flock of chickens
7. honed my thrifting skills
8. stopped eating out as much
9. Only drive when I have to (taking JA to work and back and combining errands)
And quite a few more things.
It is amazing how quickly you can see the results in your checkbook. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  2:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It sounds like you have been making lots of great changes, Karin! For me it's cutting down impulse shopping- even impulse thrifting!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - May 19 2008 :  2:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
I love this thread! I think it is a great encouragement! I too have been trying to cut back and simplify my spending! I agree with the 'cash only' system. It works well for us and as soon as I start to get sloppy and rely on my debt card it all starts to unravel. I must stay on cash only to really make sure I only spend what I budget. I really like the idea of having one spending day! I live so far out I am cutting way back on my trips into town so, one spending day would really be smart!!
Karin, your list is great...we have been doing the same things and I was able to get my electric bill DOWN $140.00 this past month!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  1:05:47 PM  Show Profile
You know what I've noticed? When I started my budget plans and started looking for ways to save money, the changes I've made are a lot better for the environment too. I drive less, I grow more plants, I buy less stuff, and I buy more of it locally. Been trying to be "green" for a while now, and it's amazing how well the two goals dovetail.

Feeling pretty good about this whole thing, so far! I feel like I'm accomplishing something. Anybody else feel that way?

Right now I am saving up for lumber to build a compost bin and a raised bed or two, and it's a new thing to me to have a specific something to save for. Also making me appreciate what I have a whole lot more.

~Amanda in OK~

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Getting control of finances... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page