Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Getting control of finances...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Getting control of finances... Next Topic
Page: of 4

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  9:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Well, we have faced the lion and boy, is it sure roaring at me!!!

I did a quick inventory of where the heck our money is actually going and here is an eye opener. Between the dates of March 15th until May 11th, we spent nearly $270.00 on just eating out. YIKES!!!

I am really tweaking things and I plan on, once I get paid, to put that exact amount into our savings and take it out of the budget this month. I am also planning a price book on things I use all the time- dog food, eggs, milk, bread, cheese, juice, pasta, bananas, tomatoes, onions, diapers/wipes, etc...to see how the price goes up and down and how I can do best on each purchase and where to buy. I am thinking of heading back to Costco.

I am hoping to inspire you, not scare you , to take a look at your finances, if you are not already. I want to help you and you can help me stay on track.

I must go lay down now.......

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  2:32:57 PM  Show Profile
Two things we have never, ever done is get takeouts and the only meal we eat out are every Sunday morning breakfasts when my dh has off from work. We were just notified that our electric bill is jumping up a whopping 37%! I am on my way now to the grocery store so that I can come home with heartburn from the ridiculous prices. I really am trying hard to pay off three credit cards. I'm now cleaning seven houses a week trying to do this very thing! Good luck to you! Susan
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  3:05:57 PM  Show Profile
we just did that very thing today. money is getting tight because we've had a lot of expenses with getting things really rolling for the market farm this year. At the beginning of our last bank statement cycle we took inventory of our debits and credits and took out only $300 to have for cash on hand. As of today, we just got another statement today, our bank balance has only gone down $200, but that was from transplants being paid for upon sending. Of our cash on hand there is $130 left. I was particularly proud of Rob because he is really the spender in our family, not me, and most of it is silly stuff. This means he isn't smoking like he was, and fewer funds are being spent on libations (he's a whiskey man and I'm a wine lover-I can't drink now and he drinks considerably less....not that he has ever had a problem, but ykwim....) that's where our unaccounted money goes it seems. Living in the sticks there aren't many places to go out to eat, plus I'm a better cook than any restaurant, my family even says so! when you can get copy cat recipes and make them using fresh and organic foods, it's better anyhow.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs:
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com/
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  4:20:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you, Tasha...we like good wine and it's hard not to want to have a bottle when I make dinner every evening. It's just what we do. I'm also a better cook than most restaurants, so we really don't go out, if at all...unless it's a VERY special occasion.

Our unaccounted spending is on weird stuff--my husband's airplane model habit ($20.00 here, $5.00 there for supplies) and at the end of last month, I added up and he'd spent $145.00 on model stuff over a month, and lately for me it's been gardening items. Dirt and manure and every now and again a plant I just can't pass up.

My goal is to reduce our energy bill by buying a clothesline, and paying down our few credit cards. Other than that, we just have to buckle down. We don't need anything, really :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  6:24:38 PM  Show Profile
Jonni we're building my new clothesline this weekend. I'm so excited! I decided I want a pretty wooden one like my mom had when I was a kid. My friend has already measured it all out, just need to go get the 4X4s and hardware.

I'm in the same boat, NO extra money but an obsession with plants!

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  6:52:45 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I made 4 more returns today for a total of $50. I always forget to take stuff back so today was the day. No bad customer service so I was happy. : )

Made Mac and Cheese last night for dinner and ate it again tonight. Charlie likes it so I don't mind eating it twice. Have some leftovers so thinking of turning it into some "muffins" by adding a little chicken stock and bread crumbs. I also have some eggs about to expire and spinach, so I am going to make a frittata of some sort. Cheap but yummy!!

We received a check from our last apartment for a refund on our deposit. So, I can pay into our savings and do a little shopping this week and save the paycheck for next week into savings. Ah!! I love being on top of things...

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  7:53:12 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like everyone needs to join the compact. Where you don't buy anything new for a year.

http://sfcompact.blogspot.com/

I have been trying to use my clothesline religiously since our weather finally turned decent. I figure Excel Energy doesn't need my money in the summer.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  8:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Kate- I have read about the compact. I have made up my own "family compact" as far as what we will spend and on what and where. Part of mine is about ok say I need or think I need xyz, how can I get it free, make do with what I have or go without before running off to the store to buy something. Also, when I do buy, buy local or from my farmgal friends. Support local busines. Also, things may take a little longer to save money- like using a clothesline or making all food from scratch but it is very important to me and my family. I also will not compromise on things like undies, certain brands of things (but I will wait for a coupon or try to extend what I do have or go without for awhile), and I will not compromise my families safety or health. It is all about balance. Thanks for reminding me of the compact- I wrote mine about 6 months ago and I need to dig it out and frame it.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  8:40:46 PM  Show Profile
I just stumbled across it via our local news. Minnesota just started a chapter. I will give it a try. I am with you on some things you just have to buy new and what you like.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  9:02:31 PM  Show Profile
What's the "compact"...I'm having trouble with the use of the word. Compact--like small, or like makeup? Or is it "pact". Like trust.

I rarely, if ever, buy any clothing new--unless I'm given a gift card to a store for work. Now, like Heather, I do by underwear, bras and socks new, but not very often. Same goes for my husband. We both wear thrift clothes because I have a good eye :)

I was thinking about this today as I surveyed our garden--that soon, when I go to the market, I won't have to buy anything fresh, except for lemons and limes. That's going to save us some dough, for sure! That during WWII, everyone was conservative because of the war--we actually had shortages. So, folks grew their own food, recycled what they could and rationed. Now, we just pay more for food trucked in across 9 states, or from overseas, and don't stop the vicious cycle of supply and demand for anything.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  10:35:51 AM  Show Profile
I've read that the average food item travels 1500 miles before we eat it. Just *finally* started reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle even though I got it for Christmas. Asparagus season just seems like the right time to start the book. ;-)

My forbearance on my student loan is up, and I am struggling with the decision to renew it AGAIN or try to find a way to pay it. So right before I logged on here I decided to go home and sit down with my budget and so some hard labor. Was thinking I need to go cash-only. Don't use credit cards anymore but I'm h*** on wheels with the debit card.

Thanks y'all for sharing what you're doing, it really helps to know what others are up to.

And for the reminder that I need to take that shirt back to Kmart and the spray paint back to Ace! :D
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 14 2008 :  9:42:19 PM  Show Profile
Heather I did sit down and do the inventory tonight of where my money's going, and OUCH!!! Decided to put myself on a cash-only diet, and made out a budget. You guys are inspiring me to check out buying more used (or, pre-owned, like the care dealers say) items and buy less stuff.

Anybody else operate on a cash-only basis? It seems to simple and obvious, but I guess our society has just gotten so far away from that...

~Amanda in OK~

Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered by your old nonsense. -Emerson
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  06:08:37 AM  Show Profile
Here's a few things I have tried that have worked. I strayed for awhile (due to moving and a job change/schedule change/life upheaval) on some techniques, but am getting back on track:

- Leave the plastic at home. Budget what you need for the week, go to the ATM for cash, and divvy up the funds in separate envelopes labeled Grocery, Gas, Pets, Fun, etc. Then pay cash for *everything*. (exception: major repairs and big ticket items you want the c/card for in case you have to dispute charges). You will definitely think twice about spending money on a $4 coffee.

- Use money one day a week only. This meant I spent Saturday morning drinking coffee and paying bills online and via snail mail, making any online purchases, then doing the grocery shopping, topping off the gas tank, buying pet food/running errands/going to the post office, etc. The I did not buy *anything* the remaining 6 days of the week. This was really, really hard but I definitely got a reign on my spending since I handled it all in one big chunk. You don't notice $20 here or $100 there on bills, but you do notice when you're writing 6 or 8 debits in you checkbook register at one time. BTW, I paid off my car 6 months early using this method.

- Do not completely cut out things that make you happy, or you will feel deprived, mean, and downright resentful. Just cut back. My major weakness is pedicures; I now get one a month instead of every 2 weeks.

Edited by - JenniferJuniper on May 15 2008 06:12:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  06:59:37 AM  Show Profile
First off, I would like to thank all of you gals for the reading. I have been trying to find ways to cut back since forever, but hubby just won't give up things....satellite, diet coke, HSI. I quit smoking Jan 8, 2007 and just had my top teeth pulled on Monday. I look foolish, but I am waiting to get fitted for a top plate, and this is being paid by moi (no insurance)
I work part time at a fast food restaurant, but the extra cash helps.
I have doubled the size of my garden, and we just butchered our pig. Hubby says no more, as we raised it through the winter....well, if he would have listened and let me get a pig in the spring, it would have been much cheaper.
I get fresh milk from his father, and skim off the cream and make butter, the milk gets drank by my son with a little chocolate added.
I am not sure what a Compact is, but look forward to a detailed desription.
Again, thanks for all the help, and please keep this topic updated, as I am learning so very much.
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  07:08:24 AM  Show Profile
Kate, We use freecycle and Craigslist all the time. We have given many things away and we just got a great riding lawn mower from the craigslist. I wish we had a way to have HUGE yardsale. But we live so far out that it is hadr to do so.
deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  08:28:12 AM  Show Profile
These are all really good tips.

Jennifer I really like the one day a week idea. I think Saturday will be my groceries and errands day, cash only. This morning I got money out of the ATM and gave myself my allowance for the week, it's been a long time since I've paid cash for gas!

Speaking of gas, I tend to cook in big batches on weekends when I'm off work. Then I can eat it throughout the week, and take my lunch to work instead of eating out. I make a lot of casseroles and baked things, so if I do it all at once I only have to fire up that big gas oven once. I have a really awesome toaster oven that I use for smaller things. I can bake a couple of chicken breasts in the toaster oven on a weeknight.

~Amanda in OK~

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  08:32:25 AM  Show Profile
I donate most of my stuff to Goodwill or ARC. My girl clothes I pack up and give to my friend who has a daughter a few years younger and same skinny build as mine.
I am toying with the Compact lifestyle, but don't know if I have the nerve to go through with it.
Perhaps I will try Jennifer's method of only spending on one day per week.
Either method will be very hard for me to not buy anything at all other than what is absolutely necessary.
But it would be fun to see how much money I can save too.

Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  09:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Wow, I am in the same or similar boat with you (did you know that while we paddle along :-) anyway it is amazing. I think I will take your idea and write down the prices for every week items or ones I purchase all the time. I never know if I'm getting a deal on food, clothes I'm good at that. Good luck and I think you're smart for taking action!

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://ligonierfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  1:05:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks gals for this "talk"...we're all on the same wave-length.
Even though we just had a son get married $$$, we are almost finished putting up 3 mo. worth of food. Now I'm going to work on tp, & dishwasher soap, etc.
We are doing a modified "Dave Ramsey" baby steps. Stashing our irs refund to have a emergency fund & starting to "snowball" paying our debts.
DH & I were at costco with a friend & I told them about the flannel for tp. DH was HAPPY to buy tp.
After the wedding reception on sat. we're going to work on the basic budget & monthly cash flow. It's time for a plan of action & some accountablitiy, especially on my part. I need to plan for a treat (book or on sale shirt, etc.) for myself once a month only. We have too easily put "extra" expences on the credit card. I'm now going to attack my stash of fabric & start sewing something for myself or the kids once a week. A splurge!
Like Amanda, we do cooking in big batches & freeze them for use. Saving time, & money plus the reasurance that there is something good to eat. We're also cutting way down sugar consumption.
Our driving is planned & always dove-tailed.
The freedom that we have by planning ahead & getting out of debt is empowering!!!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  1:40:51 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies just read the posts GOOD STUFF.

One of the best thing we do is the cash only envelope method. We pull out our weekly spend money and divide it up into the following catagories - food, gas ( me, hubby and son each have an envelope), misc( this is usally around 25 dollars) and we each get an allowance of 25.00 that we can use as needed ( we can eat out, save up, whatever)and put it into envelopes that are labled. When I go grocrey shopping I take the grocery envelope. If I fill up with gas I take my gas envelope. So on and so on...

No debit or credit cards and no checks. This keeps it simple and sweet. What is great about this is with gas prices you have to think about your travel. The other day my son had to decide between driving over to someones house or having enough gas for the weekend. Also between the misc fund and allowances everyone gets a chance to get a treat everynow and then. It may be a movie or eating lunch out what ever. Works great. My married daughter is now using the method with her family. She started out using it right after they were married and they have a very nice little nest egg, no credit card debit and their only loan is on a car.

Tamara
http://smallfarm.about.com small farms give big benefits
Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  3:02:11 PM  Show Profile
Wow, that's a good idea! I have a worksheet thingie called a "fritter finder" where you write down the amount you spend every day in each category - I think I may resurrect it.

I give away a lot of stuff to goodwill and salvation army too, but these days I keep track of everything so I can claim it at tax time. Now I just need to train myself to shop there, right? Sometimes the hardest thing is changing the way I think. Do I need to drive to Cavender's (hello! gas $) and buy brand new bib overalls for $30 just to work in the garden, or can I ride my bike down to the Salvation Army and get some for $5? DUH.

I have also started selling stuff on Craigslist when I think somebody might want it - not clothes, but other household items. For example when I remodeled my bathroom I sold the sink and base cabinet for $100.

I'm proud of my recent efforts, I'm proud of all of us!

~Amanda in OK~

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  3:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Good job everyone!!

I made a good decision today not to do the convenience thing and get food out. There was a really good reason- it had rained here last night and I went shopping at the HEB grocery store and on my way out, I slipped on some water in the parking lot, bent my big toe in all kinds of directions and it is swollen and very bruised. I thought it would be easier to just get Charlie take out and I thought about the bad stuff in the food and the fact I had stuff at home. I ended up giving him a yogurt, strawberries and some Chex cereal for supper along with juice and he at some of my bread. He is getting a little ice cream later. I feel so good for not giving in and giving him something healthy.

I (Cross your fingers) might have sold our refrigerator. This would be an extra $600 for us. I hope it works out.

I now have to find my college books on the cheap.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  6:45:28 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I am really glad I found this forum... I need all the advice I can get. I am pregnant with 8 weeks to go and we are trying to sell our house. If we don't sell it, I will have to cut my maternity leave short and leave my precious one to someone elses care to go back to work... I was hoping to get to be a stay-at-home mom until my son is older. This is absolutely BREAKING my heart and I cry about it. I love my little house and the land and all the potential that it has, but my son comes first... we really need to sell so we can rent somewhere cheap and save money to build someday. We cannot afford our house on one income, that is why I may have to go back to work unless we sell. We are selling it ourselves because if we go thru real estate, they require so much percentage of the selling cost that we won't get out of it what we need. Does anyone have any advice? We are on a short time-limit.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  7:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Cecily-First (((HUGS))), secondly, don't stress yourself out, especially being pregnant. You need to breathe and think rationally and for the health of your child and yourself.

Now, hubby and I had to break down to the basics and quick due to some financial and problems we had with the military.Long sotry short, it became about survival on one paycheck with a new baby. We truly sold everything we did not need, EVERYTHING!! I know, it stinks, but in the end, it has worked out for so much better and I truly love my simple life even more now.

If you can sit down with your family and figure out what you really need. Basics plus a few comfort items. A baby doesn't need all the stuff the media hypes on you to have. We had 10 onesies, 4 caps, 10 receiving blankets, 4 sheets, 6 pairs of socks, a hat, 2 heavier blankets, a rocking chair, Ambi crib, and a swing, NEW car seat and stroller, Diapers/wipe/bottles, nail clippers, wash/lotion, diaper ointment, carrying sling. A few toys- rattles, pacifiers, stuffed animal. Ask for gift cards as presents so you can get what you want. Use Craiglist to find things you might need, trade with friends, thrift. Again, please buy a car seat new.

www.mothering.com

Hubby and I wear jeans, t-shirts,shorts, I have a few skirts, cowboy/girl boots, flip flops, some workout clothes/sneakers, bathing suites, jacket,...the down to basics stuff. You will probably need cold winter stuff to add to the list.

We held a HUGE yardsale and at the same time, on the same 3 days, the real estate people had a walk through to sell the house. I hired a company to deep clean the house. I organized all of our stuff into bins in the garage on one side.

Sit down and be honest about any CC debt, loans, vehicles, take back anything you can return to the store,do you need tv right now, cell phones, extra items? Sell books. I use these 2 websites and never have had a problem and I have gotten quick turn around. As long as they need the book, they buy it, no waiting on someone to bid. I made over $500 doing this. It is a little time consuming but worth it.

http://www.cash4books.net/index.php

http://buyback.collegebooksdirect.com/default.jsp

Come up with simple but healthy meals. Look through the archives here on this website. Great ideas run amuck around here.
1. Rice and beans, add fruit for dessert
2. Vegetable lasagna
3. Spinach, cheese and egg frittata or omlets.
4. Homemade vegetable soup with pasta in it.

Lots of ideas here:

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/

What kind of housing situation are you looking at once you sell your house? Can you downsize and still be comfortable?

Get serious and you will be ok. Drinks lots of water, rest, and know you are going to be ok.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90

Edited by - catscharm74 on May 15 2008 7:50:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  7:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Everyone!

Hey Cecily- Check out the USDA Rural Development program. I am betting they can help you!! Also look into doing cloth diapers. We saved about $3000 by cloth diapering Nora for only about $200!!
http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/

I would be happy to help you learn how to do cloth diapering and there are some excellent resources out there!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 15 2008 :  8:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Getting rid of Debt:

I call it "torpedoing" debt. Whenever we get a windfall that isn't direly needed for something else (I would have used our stimulus check for this but instead it goes to moving!)

I sort my debt from highest interest rate to lowest. Then I take the top 50% of the highest interest rate ones and sort from oldest to newest. Which ever is the oldest that is costing me the most money gets "torpedoed" It blast it with the money and imagine it blowing up into smithereens never to come back again!

I pick the highest interest rates because they are obviously costing the most, and then the oldest because if those are on your credit, they are the most harmful. However...there is a second method that I sometimes use if there are a few small debts that can be handled by one windfall. Then I blast the small debts to reduce the number of debts that are on my credit history as both debt size, number of debts and age of debts all affect credit score. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Getting control of finances... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page