Page: of 2

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  7:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Especially on the weekends? If I get invited somewhere, I like to go for about 2-3 hours and come home. I just putter around the house, sit in the sun, play with Charlie and make yummy, bad for my hips food. We sometimes pile all the cushions on the floor and watch movies all day. I do not do any chores more than if something needs to be washed and cleaning up from cooking. I am not anti-social, but large crowds do exhaust me out. I can usually stay home for long periods of time, then I go out for just a few hours and get my fix of "life" out there and am so happy to be home. I do better one on one or maybe three, but more than that I go into a frenzy. I am a nester too. I like to make my house cozy to our standards and half the time it looks like a big wind came through and tore up the place but it is home. How about you?

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  9:55:30 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I feel pretty much the same way. If I am not being a homebody, I am visiting my parents or my best friend hanging out at their house being a homebody there.

I hate huge crowds, because I can't hear in them. And I am painfully shy, so it kills me to stick out my hand and introduce myself. Heck, I lurked for months on this board before I got the courage to post something. (but, I am glad I finally did!!)

I just hate dealing with people and their BS now-a-days. The keeping up with the Jones, and living in the Starbucks soaked world makes me exhausted.
I had rather have my simple life at home with the doggie and the kids, thank-you-very-much.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on May 10 2008 9:57:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  05:17:59 AM  Show Profile
Girls, I am right there with you! I am finally coming to terms with the fact that I just don't need to be out "doing" something all the time. So many of our friend are very social, and I felt so bad for years b/c I much rather be home doing homey things! And Heather, I agree, It WEARS me out to be out and about.

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  05:23:00 AM  Show Profile
My world for the most part is pretty much home and Family. Now if some of you farm girls with like interests lived closer I might change.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  06:21:43 AM  Show Profile
I like being home and my DH works from home so we are always together. Sometimes that is good (I can get adult conversation during the day) but other times it can be too much. We've been like this for about 8 years so we have gotten used to it.

I like to see my friends from time to time but I always enjoy coming home.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

Farm Girl 2
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Becky
Willis VA
USA
108 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  09:13:25 AM  Show Profile
OMG I thought I was the BIGGEST HOMEBODY! Guess I am not alone. I have been "retired" ha just quit about 2 months ago and I am so darned happy at home and I despise to leave. Dh has to beg me to go run errands and calls me to make sure I left the house.

Last night was about the only time we have left the house together in 2 months. We went to wallyworld got a couple of can'tlivewithouts and to the produce stand and out to eat at our favorite restaraunt around here, a steakhouse. Of course it was a holiday weekend and they were very busy so we drove on by did our shopping and came back at 8pm, was seated immediatley and the server was GREAT. We both contemplated the menu for 10 minutes, we have beef at home in freezer any kinda steak or any other cut you may want. We have chicken that is farm raised and so fresh. We often have homemade bread and always a homecooked meal even if it something quick we both knew it would be better than anything on that menu. We both chose chicken and a baked potato. blah................... well it took us 50 minutes to get it. We could have already been home and thawed the steaks and cooked them and saved $35 and I could have been in my PJ's watching a movie by then. We both decided we were getting old and were definately homebodies!!!!!

Anyone who knew me 6 months ago would not believe it. Dh used to say that my middle name was GO..

Kate, I am right there with you on the people out there and their BS....

Nancy, I would be all over visiting farmgirls and thier farms like people used to do such as quilting bees and chicken pluckings and molasses making etc..... ah the memories ... hey wait I am not that old, just grew up in the country!!!!

Loving Living Simply!
http://sunnymorningfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  09:25:01 AM  Show Profile
I do like being home...our routine during the week is a long one...7:30 am to 6:00 pm commuting and working, and then home to make dinner and get up and do it all over again. Aside from running errands early Saturday, or squeezing in the market or something on a Friday night while Jus is working--we're home. And we don't have the telephone on. Actually, I've just made a friend angry because we didn't come out on Derby day because, well, I wanted to be home working in the garden after spending 4 days with family from Atlanta...she's a stay at home mom and loves ADULTS over to her home constantly...after working all week with them, I want to be at home with my dogs and my husband and enjoy the solitude of home. I like to get projects done around here, and even make some up if I don't have anything on the agenda.

Some folks need to "do" something all the time--I'm antsy, but I like to do my things right here in this little cottage.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  10:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like being home as well! I enjoy a good crowd of friends occasionally, but usually would prefer to just visit one at a time. I feel lost in really huge crowds, especially in large restaurants or bars. Hubby loves going to the bar with friends, but I hate it. Idaho still lets you smoke in the bars and if I have to yell just to say "Hi!" I get "tired" quickly. It is easier to just sit and smile!

However, that being said, if there is a huge group of like-minded people, I really enjoy the energy and when that happens I really enjoy being part of a group!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  12:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am such a home body. I would much rather invite others in .... then to go out....although, I will say I have been doing ag tours... and I really love that!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  1:04:26 PM  Show Profile
I much prefer being home. It seems like wonderful people are always asking me to get involved in stuff, which is great stuff, and I appreciate it, but as I can, I am stepping back more and more so that I can be where I love it most - at home. I must be an introvert, as I am more fed by spending a day alone in the garden or the house, than I am at a party or in a group. I love being with my family, and taking care of my home, and hopefully can step away from some of the volunteer and part time work I do out of the house....it drains me more and more. How can folks be politicians and big time professionals and be gone all of the time? It would drive me nuts!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  1:30:02 PM  Show Profile
Heather,
I think you about said it all!! I am a homebody too and hate to be in crowds. (I also lurked around here for a long time, just soaking all this good stuff in before I got the nerve to post )
If I have to go parties or get togethers, usually the conversations are not interesting to me or I am just plain lost because I don't have a clue what they are talking about.

quote:
Originally posted by kissmekate

Heather, I feel pretty much the same way. If I am not being a homebody, I am visiting my parents or my best friend hanging out at their house being a homebody there.

I hate huge crowds, because I can't hear in them. And I am painfully shy, so it kills me to stick out my hand and introduce myself. Heck, I lurked for months on this board before I got the courage to post something. (but, I am glad I finally did!!)

I just hate dealing with people and their BS now-a-days. The keeping up with the Jones, and living in the Starbucks soaked world makes me exhausted.
I had rather have my simple life at home with the doggie and the kids, thank-you-very-much.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Cathy (okiequilter)

www.AuntDaisysCottage.blogspot.com

A friend loves at all times.
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  2:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I Love Being at Home. But I also LOVE to travel. So I'm looking forward to retirement so I can spending more time at home and still travel too.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  4:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
ahhhhhh.....just finished a weekend of just the thing.....

Dirt under my nails and weeds in my hair...don't tell me I can't dress up with flair!
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  7:01:16 PM  Show Profile
I am definately a homebody too. Sometimes a couple of weeks will pass before I leave the property ~ and then with some reluctance! LOL There is just so much to see and do right here at home that I don't feel the need to go elsewhere. Of course, I do LOVE having others visit. I enjoy baking and enjoying coffee with friends and neighbors. For many years it seems all I did was run and be busy away from home that I think I'm finally catching up on all the missed pleasures of home.

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  7:33:39 PM  Show Profile
I loff going home but after about 4 days, I'm hunting the truck and road again. I don't like crowds at all and even avoid the ladies out at my barn if I can. But I try not to be rude if I see them, just not totally comfortable either.

I have a wanderlust that won't quit and I think I got it from my dad. I have to know what's going on over the horizon.

There have been times in my life where I was soooo hurt that I didn't leave the house for long periods (like after divorce) but I still like to get out on the road...just don't want anyone other than my hubby with me!!

Winona ;-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  04:59:37 AM  Show Profile
For the most part, I'd rather be at home here, too! Especially after the hustle and bustle of running off to work all week, and dealing with people all day, I just want to stay home and putter around here. Actually, yesterday (Mother's Day) my family offered to take me out for dinner, to this big Chinese food restaurant that has a great buffet, but I told them I'd rather avoid the big crowd and would be just as happy with a couple of good pizzas at home, so that's what we did!

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  05:24:20 AM  Show Profile
I ADORE OUR HOME ... and being here with honey-hunk .. AND .. i ADORE ROAMING THE ROADS ... being in our 'freedom years' .. i have no firm 'commitments' ... soooo .. since i own every moment of my time .. i stay home when i wanna' and i roam the roads when i wanna'. i'm MUCH too MUCH a SOCIAL butterfly to stay at home all the time. I adore my friends and goin' on adventures with them.

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  06:39:33 AM  Show Profile
Relieved to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Living out here in the country, I feel I might miss something.

I love walking in the woods w/ my dog and hearing nothing but the birds.

I do like to go on the occasional date w/ hubby and see movies w/ friends. It's better if I can be off from work and kind of "prepare" rather than rushing home and trying to fit in chores.

We recently started spending time w/ friends who have a huge fenced in yard w/ 2 dogs of their own. They love cooking and share very similar interests. And best of all, they only live 6 miles away. Other friends live much further, so it's a major undertaking. And I hate driving at night.

I'm so afraid of becoming a recluse and getting dimentia/atlzheimers, so sometimes I force myself to get out w/ friends, even if it's just for an hour or two. (I'm only 38, but have watched grandmothers and close elderly friends slip further and further when their spouse dies and they can't get out.)

So most of you gals sound like the typical type B. It's the gregarious type A's who get energized from large crowds and a full social schedule.

kissmekate, I too feel better when I hang out w/ my folks. I'm very much aware of the fast passage of time and don't want to waste a minute. Mom and I usually go on shopping forays once a month. She drives, I buy lunch. At 65, she and my dad are incradibly active, so I feel blessed to not have your typical old fart stick in the mud parent. THEY don't sit for very long at all!
Go to Top of Page

GiGi58
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Gayle
Billings Montana
USA
71 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  07:10:43 AM  Show Profile
Well, I am pretty much a homebody, too, but because I have a job with a large mortgage company, I am forced to get out and be amongst people here in the big city and drive in the insanity of millions of people on the road at any given time -- not my idea of fun at all. If I had my druthers, I would be staying at home doing all of the domestic and home-type things that I like to do, taking rides in the country, spending time with my children and grandchildren -- letting that true blue farm girl come out of hiding. I don't consider myself anti-social (just the opposite), but the preference would be to stay on the home front. The goal, for me, is to be moved to Montana by the end of September, before the snow flies and I can't move (although, I do have to admit that the Winters here in Arizona are so mild and there is no snow, but I even miss that -- the changing of the seasons). So, give me the countryside and you will find one very happy camper.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain"
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  07:20:10 AM  Show Profile
Since I'm afraid to fly, my travel options are very limited, so I guess I fall into the category of homebody. I like to travel (by car or by train), but most of the time I'm content to be home.
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  07:41:19 AM  Show Profile
I'm a homebody too! I've been a SAHM for years and now that my son is 17 yrs old, people keep asking me what I'm going to do next. I tell them I'm going to stay home and continue to do all the chores I take care of during the week so we can relax and do fun things on the weekend. Everyone just seems to assume that I'm not happy being home alone but I love it and am so grateful everyday that I can!

Kim

Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com

Edited by - TabithaLenox on May 12 2008 07:42:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

joanieh
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Joan
Brinnon WA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  09:11:54 AM  Show Profile
I love to stay at home, too. But with a non-driving teenager that isn't possible! Luckily my husband has always had housing where he works as a park ranger, so in 24 years of marriage he has always been home for lunch and dinner. If I had my choice, I wouldn't leave home, but when the land of stores and shopping is 40 miles away, you have to go at least every 3 weeks or so. When we lived in town, I spent a lot more money on food.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  12:11:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm also a real homebody. I loved to travel when I was young, but I'm happiest in my own nest these days....Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  3:06:54 PM  Show Profile
I like to be home and I like to go. Between being a stay at home Mom and then us being in farming and the greenhouse businress for so long I didn't ever really get to go anywhere during those years.We didn't go on a trip anywhere except once to Niagara Falls with the kids, then when we were married 30 yrs. my daughter and son in law sent us to Virgina to a beautfiul Bed and Breakfast. We went to Colonial Williamsburg and both of us found out we liked to travel.(car travel is our way) When I was a kid I would be out and going non stop. Now there is a happy medium. I do love to be home, but I do love to go too! Like Frannie says these are the freedom years and I really enjoy them.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  5:14:10 PM  Show Profile
Well, looks like I'm in good company....and I find it to be a relief. lol! Every weekend I think, ok, I'll go to this place or that place...then I become too comfortable and say the heck with it. I've always been a homebody at heart and I enjoy puttering around the home. I do get my 'fix' every now and then...then I'm satisfied for a while. Beside working during the week, I also do a lot of things during my lunch hour and after work, so I don't mind hanging on the weekend.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  5:26:02 PM  Show Profile
I L O V E to stay home! I Love to be in the yard, do crafts and visit with family & friends. I do occasionaly like to get out in my little vintage trailer and go fly fishing with my DH! heehee!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee
Farmgirl Sister #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you like to stay home? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page