Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - May 10 2008 :  3:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
With the summer traveling season upon us, I thought it might be a great time to share some safety tips for keeping your Home safe while you are gone. Here is one of my favorites.

Many people know the trick to leave a lamp or two on when you are going to be gone. I gives the illusion that someone is home even if no one is. However, if you are going to be gone for any length of time, consider getting a timer. A lamp left on all night and day can be a suspect as no lights on at all. Light timers can be set to mimic your normal time schedule- say if you turn off all the lights and are in bed by 10pm, the will turn off the lights at 10. You can, with a timer in several rooms, set the lights to be turned on and off in succession to mimic someone walking through the house.

One note of caution, however. Try to place your lamps close to the window, and make sure blinds and curtains are closed so there isn't a silhouette of an empty room shown to the outside.

Also- if you have sliding windows (as opposed to the crank style) or a sliding glass door- don't forget to slip a piece of wood into the sliding space. This will prevent someone from being able to slide open your window or door from the outside. Make sure it is a snug fit as any extra space can provide just enough to pop a window or door over the wood to gain access.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  8:31:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I have a timer for my lamp that sits near the front window. It makes me feel safer knowing that it will go on and off at certain intervals. My mom also uses one and she has done the wooden board in the sliding glass door track for years. Great tips Alee!

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  9:03:18 PM  Show Profile
love livin' here in the 'hollow' .. we rarely ever lock our doors. our daughter does the 'wood in the sliding door tract' up in toledo. we do have 'candles' in all our windows that stay on 24/7 .. don't use timers here .. but have in other places we've lived across the country.

i've heard it can be useful to leave your radio or tv on to make it sound like someone is home. of course more than one lock on your door and a 'dead-bolt' can be a good idea if you are alone in the house at night.

AND a big dog with a big bark would probably be a pretty good thief-deterrent too .. AND .. an alarm system .. or at least a 'sign' that says you have one!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  2:13:07 PM  Show Profile
If we are gone at the lake for the weekend, or what have you, I always mention it to my neighbors to keep an eye out. If they see activity in or outside of the house, to call the cops first, then call me.

I leave certain lights on too. Including the Front light-that one is on a sensor.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  07:09:16 AM  Show Profile
I have also heard that when you are staying in a motel and want to leave for dinner,or whatever, leave the TV on, or even leave the shower or sink water running, to give the illusion of someone being there.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2008 :  10:31:41 AM  Show Profile
On our street, the neighbors all look out for each other. But one neighbor always leaves the front porch lights burning when they are out of town. My husband calls those the 'Not At Home' lights! Better to have one with a sensor or to have the timers on various lights in the house.

Re: leaving water running in motel room -- I guess I'm just sensitive to water usage these days . . . seems a waste of water if you're gone an hour or more. The TV on seems a bit better, even tho it does 'waste' energy.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  7:09:15 PM  Show Profile
Wow Alee this is great advice. Thanks so much!

Chelsey

Farmgirl Sister #283
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  7:29:40 PM  Show Profile
We have an alarm system as we are way back in the woods....my sister works for 911 and thats help since they get the call also. We also have a gate that we shut at the end of the long drive. Still, if they wanted to do something they would find a way. My house (another one that was in the city limits/subdivision) was robbed and they wipped us out about 20 years ago in the evening time! But we do try to do all we can - I will not make it easy for them like I did last time. I think back then that I had my bedroom window craked a little bit for the fresh air (I trusted everyone). We have had two barns broken into and one was just last week at our old house. I get so mad just writing about it.
Go to Top of Page

JILLSEWSIT
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

JILL
RACINE WI
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  8:14:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi, About keeping home safe when you're gone. We don't have a dog, but a sign on the door is good. 2 lights are timed. We tell 2 neighbors that we're gone.

A green tip for home. Most often, I use the H2O from our dehumidifier on the trees or plants. It is distilled, so it's good
for my my iron.
Bye, Jill in WI. & winter in TX.
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  09:39:37 AM  Show Profile
Does Crime Watchers exist anymore?
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  9:37:37 PM  Show Profile
With everybody being connected via social networking sites like FB, Twitter, etc, it's wise to NOT talk about your upcoming vacation plans. I know of somebody who just spent a week in Toronto, somebody who's currently in South America & I know of somebody else who's about to leave for Zimbabwe...all via their public posts on FB. This is just 3 friends off the top of my head. Somebody else was publically counting down the days, hours, minutes until their trip to Mexico. Hold your tongue until you get back then you can post all you want about all the fun you had. Telling the world about your upcoming trips is an invitation for trouble.

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Mid-Michigan Farmgirl Chapter
http://simplelifeseeker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  10:04:30 AM  Show Profile
The last time we went on an *actual* vacation, we hired a house/dog babysitter. It was nice to know there was someone in and out of the house and keeping an eye on things. THis was beyond the 45 firefighters on our department and the police officers who drive by regularly! =) Gotta love small towns.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  05:31:42 AM  Show Profile
We always have a house sitter. But many in our area (living in the city) let the police dept know - they do random drive by's and get out and check the perimeter of the house. Just to make sure everything is secure.

Be sure to stop your mail if you're going to be gone a week or more. Unless you have wonderful neighbors! The newspaper too. Nothing screams "out of town" like papers stacking up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Farm Girl #790
http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  1:42:09 PM  Show Profile
I'm lucky in that I have really good neighbours and they come in every evening and shut the curtains and leave lights on and every morning turn the lights off and open the curtains. They will move post, collect parcels, water plants etc and even pay the window cleaner.

And most importantly -- Feed the cat!!

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  05:49:09 AM  Show Profile
Another thought, I always let the police know we will be gone, where we are going and most importantly a phone number to reach us at and the person we have left "in charge" in the event of an emergency in our absence. We also "invite" the patrol officers to sit in our driveway to fill out their shift reports, take a coffee break, help themselves to what ever is ripe in our garden etc. They swing by and check on things for us, pick what's ready for eating and we have peace of mind knowing our Home is being cared for in our absence.

Joanna #566
"Keeping Traditions Alive A Stitch At A Time"
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MamaRhi
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Rhiannon
Livermore CA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  10:48:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh, what a great idea to offer them what's fresh in the garden! I love bartering like that!

Single Mama living her off-the-grid dream life...
Go to Top of Page

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  10:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
Another suggestion for making your home more safe.... Instead of leaving your house key under the mat in front of the door, or under a flowerpot.... store your neighbor's house key there instead... and store your at their house. That way if someone does find your key, it won't fit any of the doors at your house.

(another good tip I like to pass along is similar ~ when packing suitcase - I always pack undies and an outfit of mine in my husbands suitcase and one of his in mine. That way if one of our cases get "lost" we at least have a clean set of clothes.)

Debi
herb19355

GA Farmgirl #2515
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  1:29:41 PM  Show Profile
Amazing........those are some of the greatest ideas I have ever heard, Debi!!!!!

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  8:30:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Our front lights and porch lights are on timers. Our neighbors and we always collect the mail and newspapers for eachother while the other is gone. There is such a dead give away in a pile of newspaper in the driveway!
We also have a very vocal puppy, and loud pointer, so that helps.
The FB posting is a great warning. It's hard not to share your building excitement for a trip, but alerting all to the fact your home will be empty isn't very wise. My DH and I recently went on a cruise and my kids, parents, and grandma were all here.(my DH works away from home 7 days a week, 16-18 hours a day, so its normally just me and the kiddos=3 adults is a lot more than normally here) but when posted on my FB [completely private except to friends] my aunt mentioned I was advertising I'd be gone. So I immediately posted on FB how grateful I was to my whole family for comin to care for the house and kids.... I didn't think about it. I knew people would be here, but I was advertising an assumably empty home. Thoughtless. Glad you gals posted this!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  2:25:59 PM  Show Profile
Another tip for staying at a hotel... I always put the do not disturb sign on the outside of the hall door every time I leave the room.
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  4:06:59 PM  Show Profile
i have and alarm and good locks and timer lights
but feeling secure is where my neigbors come in.
one has a key and goes over just to check around
and i give them use of my pool and permission
to pick veggie in the garden..so they really
keep and eye on the house and i'm very blessed to
have such wonderful people nextdoor...

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  4:18:30 PM  Show Profile
I just bought (still waiting for them to arrive) a set of sensors for the lights in the house. They are supposed to be motion sensors so when something goes past them the light goes on. I got them at graveyard mall.com. I figured if there was a noise outside the dog would run through the house turning on lights!

We also have outside motion detector lights and a couple on timers for when we go away.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic When you aren't home... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page