QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  3:02:36 PM  Show Profile
Barefoot in the house and flip flops everywhere else unless I'm on a horse. Then of course, it's boots. *U*
Morning milking...flipflops, jammies w/ an apron over them. he he he.

Dalyn

Muckboots 'N Aprons Chapter
~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JenaYoga
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Jena
Washington State
16 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  10:37:49 AM  Show Profile  Send JenaYoga an AOL message
Hi All,

It looks like this post might be a bit dated, but I wanted to respond! For swollen feet, keep them elevated for a while, and let some of the blood thin out in them. Take aspirin, and put IcyHot on them too. At night, for those with severely cracked heels, put on an ample amount of Vaseline on your feet at night, and put socks on. It might take a little getting used to, since it might feel a bit odd, but it will drastically help your feet, Of course a pumice stone in the shower is necessary. Flip flops and sandals pull the moisture out of your feet, so that is why they can dry out quickly. Our feet are meant to sweat to keep the skin moisturized, and always wear clean socks, and clean your shoes once a week for flip flops and sandals to keep the bacteria to a minimum. I always wash my feet after yoga especally being on a room with others that are barefoot in order to avoid contracting athletes foot. Rememebr ladies, men will like to massage your feet if they are soft and pretty!

The body has no limits...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  11:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Those are great suggestions Jena!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  12:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Whow! Worms in your feet!!!Ugh! Maybe I am going to rethink my barefootedness! Ha! I am usually barefoot only in the house as my feet are tender now. I am sitting here right now 'talking' at you barefoot! It has cooled down here a lot in the last few days and my feet are cool right now. But I am not one for sox either.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  12:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Thanks Jena, I had heard about the vaseline but forgot and I have that problem once in awhile. How should I wash leather sandals? Any special soap to kill bacteria? I notice my sandals get smelly sometimes. Any ideas?

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryP
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Mary
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
USA
58 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  12:30:15 PM  Show Profile
There are actually lots of people that go barefoot!

http://www.barefooters.org/

http://www.barefooting.eu/

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/dir/1600742650

I'm always barefoot at home, it drives my husband absolutely nuts. He's sure I'm going to step on a nail and die or something. My best friend is a real barefooter and never wears shoes. There aren't any laws prohibiting driving without shoes on, going into restaurants, etc. She's done some pretty incredible hikes barefoot as well. The Lake Serene hike in Seattle for instance!
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  2:10:13 PM  Show Profile
I am one who the minute I hit the door the shoes are off. When I do leave the farm I am in my keens. It is funny I walk around the farm without shoes but would never do that in town - way too many ICK things in town... My youngest son would get sent to the principles office because he would not keep his shoes on - how weird is that? He tried to explain to them that his brain would not work if his feet where being chocked.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JenaYoga
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Jena
Washington State
16 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  2:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Send JenaYoga an AOL message
Going barefoot is actually good for your feet, but everything in moderation. Your feet have many little muscles and tendons that need to be used. A lot of shoes keep these muscles working at a minimum, that are needed for better balance, posture, circulation and strength. Your feet and toes are very strong! They are actually stronger than your hands in some ways. For those who are barefoot around the house, which I do too all the time, use your toes to pick things up as often as possible. That is great exercise for your feet/toes. Going barefoot in an establishment is understandable, but in my opinion, its not hygenic or safe, and a bit disrespectful. I wouldnt walk into someones home with my filthy dirty feet.

Driving barefoot is great for safety, and feeling the sensitivity of your feet on the pedals. Flip flops are very dangerous to drive with on your feet. I have a friend that got her flip flop caught on the brake pedal as she had to put on her brakes suddenly, but hit the car in front of her because her shoe got caught on the pedal. I take all foot wear off when driving, even tennies and socks. The rubber sole can be slippery, especially when it is raining, or the soles are wet. For those that have owned an old VW, they know what I am talking about. The only way to drive an old vw is barefoot! I have yet to drive it with shoes on!:)

As far as leather sandals, I believe you would want to use a leather cleaner. I am sure they have cleaners specifically for stains, bacteria and remove odor, and that will not damage the leather. Make sure your feet are clean before you wear them, and clean them as needed. Everyones feet sweat, and can smell from time to time, thats normal. Hiking barefoot is ok, but cuts need to be treated immediately to avoid infection, and further injury.

Remember, even cavemen the had some type of protection on their feet!

Lastly, treat yourself to a pedicure occasionally! Your hubbys will love it!

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  2:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I can't go barefoot due to a foot surgery gone bad. The closest thing I can come to it is to wear my crocs :(

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

JenaYoga
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Jena
Washington State
16 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  2:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Send JenaYoga an AOL message
For the posts about worms in your dry cracked skin areas, that needs to be treated immediately! The worms can carry bacteria, and lead to a very serious problem, and lead to severe illness if it makes contact with your bloodstream.

Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  2:58:59 PM  Show Profile
I love going barefoot, but don't get to do it as much where I live now.

Too many goatheads and my feet get so dry that they crack and bleed quite often.

I still wear flip-flops whenever I am not at work. (I work at a garden center where I have to wear real shoes.) My husband makes fun of me because I always say, "Anything you can do in regular shoes you can do in flip-flops."

~Rhonda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic barefoot lady Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page