corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  6:47:27 PM  Show Profile
Ok I have a confession to make. I don't like shoes. I am barefoot every chance I get. As soon as I step out my office door and into my car I remove the shoes so I can drive barefoot. My husband thinks it is hilarous. Now I have shoes, lots of lovely shoes for dress, farmin', or casual wear. But I prefer the feel of barefeet. To me nothing centers me more than taking a few deep breaths while standing in a field of grass barefoot.

Now I am wondering if there are any other barefoot farmgirls out there! Come on fess up....

Tamara
http://smallfarm.about.com small farms give big benefits

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  6:50:51 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am most definatley a barefoot girl....

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  6:59:28 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I keep flip flops in my Jeep so when I do have to wear shoes (other than my cowgirl boots), I can switch right to my flip flops but I drive barefoot all the time, I even take off fancy shoes to drive and I don't wear shoes at home. My feet are tore up but I am happy. Charlie is the same way. I used to even clean up the rabbit poop without shoes and their is nothing like picking vegetables out of the garden bare foot in a tank top and cut off shorts. Add an apron and I am ready!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  7:22:34 PM  Show Profile
It depends...I actually wear shoes all the time now (my dansko clogs) because when I was dancing I couldn't wear shoes most of the time (bloody toes and blisters--too painful for enclosure) and everytime I would go barefoot, I would harang my toes around some corner or rock and rip open my already tender toes.

We also have 4 dogs, so my barefoot days are limited to the front yard :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  7:35:54 PM  Show Profile
Always barefoot!!!!
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  7:36:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love going barefoot as long as there aren't prickly weeds, dog poo, or broken glass around. Unfortunately I have had my tangles with each and every one of those things :( I go barefoot around the house and often tenderfoot to the car if I forgot something.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  11:25:53 PM  Show Profile
I go barefoot (or wear only socks I love in winter) inside and outside I generally slip on some crocs this time of year...my toes are a mess from stubbing them, being stepped on by sheep, goats and one heavy cow and I am known for being clumsy. I do kick my shoes off if I sit down outside, and when I am in the garden the shoes are usually off to the side and I go barefoot.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  04:43:06 AM  Show Profile
Barefoot is the only way to go, except in winter, when I have to wear clogs....Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  05:48:55 AM  Show Profile
I would love to go barefoot - so romantic! - but it hurts too much. Guess I'm just not tough enough for romance.
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  05:57:20 AM  Show Profile
Tamara,

I hear ya loud and clear!! I hate shoes, too. And I have the rough feet to prove it, lol. Seriously, my feet are so bad that they actually crack and bleed and I still will not wear shoes if I don't have to. I so love being barefoot and so do my feet.
Take care,
Marcy

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

Farmgirl #170
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  06:22:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm barefoot every chance I get. In fact, I rarely wear my shoes when I'm sitting at my desk. I ALWAYS take my shoes off. Now, my boss and one of my co-workers are both shoeless too, most of the time. People come in and laugh about the "barefoot HR girls." I'm starting a trend! And when I do wear shoes, I never wear socks....they make my feet freak out. :)

FARMGIRL SISTER #127
my Etsy shop: http://backwoodsjunction.etsy.com
The Catholic Wife: http://www.thecatholicwife.com

Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  10:43:52 AM  Show Profile
Rachel the barefoot hr girls thing is great. I actually have my shoes kicked off under my desk now

At work I am known as Mother Nature.... The guys here don't know what to do with me and my organic foods

Tamara
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  11:01:39 AM  Show Profile
LOL Same here, sitting at work with my shoes off and bare feet hiding under the desk. I NEVER wear socks unless I'm out hiking or horseback riding, and I always go barefoot inside, and wear open toed shoes year round when I'm out and about. Live is better barefoot, as I tell my boyfriend when he laughs at me for taking socks off the moment we get back from a hike.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  11:11:51 AM  Show Profile
I am always barefoot. That is one of my job perks. I dont have to wear shoes when i am working less i have to run outside to do the horses

LIfe is a witch ~~~ and then ya fly !! My blogspot .http://tribalwitch.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  12:52:55 PM  Show Profile
I used to think barefooting was great until my stepmother, who always went barefoot went to the doctors because her feet were bothering her. The doctor opened the heal with a scapal and the worms came slithering out. Needless to say the other foot had the same things. She had to use a wheel chair to get around while the feet healed. No more barefooting for me.

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  1:37:46 PM  Show Profile
linda it does happen! people would be surprised at the whole worm thing. A generation ago it was common place for people to be dewormed! Many of todays illnesses are from parasites. There is a lady down the road that kept getting pneumonia. She had a parasite (aka worms) in her lungs. OK GROSS NOTE I know, I know

I do herbal foot baths once a week. Softens skin and cleanses parasites. So i am good to go....

Tamara
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  05:28:55 AM  Show Profile
That reminds me...a co-worker had to have a toenail removed due to fungus. Her doctor told her people get these toenail fungi from going barefoot in the yard. The toenail won't grow back either. That freaked me out a little.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  05:59:49 AM  Show Profile
Right now at the computer - barefoot! As soon as the weather gets warm enough, I only wear sandals, or go barefoot. The bottom of my feet look like it too! Now, I read about the worm thing.......hmm.....maybe I will at least keep flip flops on all the time! Yuck! I remember my mom always saying "put your shoes on if you are going outside"! I use Ahava foot cream at night and sleep in socks. That softens them a lot, but I don't know if it would help parasites.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  06:09:47 AM  Show Profile
i can't run barefooted because of diabetes .. and i can't do any shoes that has a strap between your toes (a la flip flops) .. but i LOVE my 'clogs' with Micahelangelo's angels painted on them (each shoe has a different angel) .. my mos' favorite shoes ever! and i love 'tom-boy' sandals with tights, legwarmers and socks ... in the wintertime!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  12:16:37 PM  Show Profile
I use to love to go that way
But, I am Diabetic type 2 now and it is recommended that I wear shoes even in the house
I orderes some sandles from qvc the other day,
I will have to wear socks with them though. pinkroses

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  5:22:25 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I hate "real" shoes. In summer (or warmer than 60 degrees) it's flip flops (I have some dress up kinds) or nothing. In winter or colder temps, its either my rennfest boots, moccasins or fuzzy socks. I kick off any shoes the minute I come in the door. Even when I worked in an office and a spa.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Go to Top of Page

ErinW
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Erin
Corbeil ON
Canada
17 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  8:21:40 PM  Show Profile
I'm jealous. The summer camp I work at requires us to wear shoes or at least sandals with back straps at all times. I love working there, but Oh I miss my bare feet!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  9:14:56 PM  Show Profile
Go barefoot inside, not outside so much anymore, stepped on to many unnecessary things, like rocks, a piece of glass that darned yellow jacket that I am allergic too.
Guess I best leave my flip flops on outside....sigh......

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  08:07:17 AM  Show Profile
I am a barefoot girl also!
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  08:25:42 AM  Show Profile
My mom gets on to me especially during the winter time because I'll have sandals on...the slip on kind without the thong thingie. I wear a pair pretty much all year because I hate putting on socks and shoes. I'll run barefoot around the house, but not outside because of the neighborhood kitties & sometimes occasional loose dog.

Here is my funny moment though. While in college, I was one of the folks in charge of the floor in our dorm (RA). Well it is moving day for freshmen and we had to help them move in - hauling their crap, etc. Thankfully I only had to carry light stuff and only down to my floor because I had just injured my knee. Our first girl & her family arrived a day earlier (we already knew) and here they arrived. The other RA's hollered to come help...I had no clue it was the girl. Well here I go out there in tshirt, shorts, and oops, I forgot my shoes. All of the RA's went "are you pregnant?" because of the ole infamous phrase "barefoot and pregnant" that is common to here as a joke. Of course the family all sees me and the girl is from just outside of New York City. Wow - yeah...so that was her first impression of Kentucky. I said "oh Lord, excuse me, I was so excited to see that ya'll made it here, I forgot to put on my shoes" and ran to go grab them. I come back and the mom went "Well I have to say that was a first seeing someone barefoot!" Needless to say, the girl and I became great friends throughout our college lives. She is graduating this weekend with a PhD, but said that out of all the college experiences, the very first moment she came to our college had to be her most memorable. I said "Lord child, you had to have better memories than seeing some farm girl running around barefoot and not pregnant!"

Does anyone have problems with swollen feet? Any good remedies for it?

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts