Page: of 2

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  3:04:33 PM  Show Profile
It's Friday night; is anybody making anything special? Going out? Building dinner around garden produce?

Tell what's going on the table tonight! Maybe we can all get some new ideas.

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  3:14:06 PM  Show Profile
I have some vegetables (spinach, pea pods, etc.) in the fridge that need to be used up as well as some pasta and cream. Since I also have the cheese to do it, I'm going to make a veggie fettucini alfredo. Not exactly light fare, but it will taste good and the food won't be wasted.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  3:41:26 PM  Show Profile
Thai Chicken Soup.....
Made DEE-licious chicken broth yesterday.
Today added fresh garden veggies and herbs:
onions,garlic,carrots, red pepper,chopped tomatoes,chard,parsley,basil cilantro.
Then added chicken bits, curry powder and a little bit of coconut milk, red pepper flakes, lime juice.
ooh babyisss gooood

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Sep 23 2005 3:42:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  3:49:29 PM  Show Profile
So far "dinner" has been 1/4 bag of chips and some orange juice. heheh...

I'll probably have a proper dinner with some miso soup, rice, a veggie and gyoza aka potstickers. But hey, it's Friday night. After a long work week, I can afford to be a bit bad.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  4:29:18 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE potstickers. I wish I had some right now. DH doesn't get home until 9 tonight so I'm holding off on dinner since it is just the two of us tonight. That growling you hear is my stomach.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  4:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
We may be going out for Mexican. If not... microwave fare. Kitchen still not finished. :(
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  4:57:05 PM  Show Profile
Laura, I love that sort of resourcefulness. I used to be much better about being able to take things out of the pantry and making a good meal. Sounds like yours will be resourceful and delicious.

I didn't do too bad tonight; I made a sort of weird beef stew/soup in the crockpot. It was a chuck steak, browned and put in with some sauteed sliced mushrooms, onions, carrots, and a cup or so of wine and beef stock. Oh, and some various herbs and spices. When it was done, I stirred in some leftover brown rice. It was really good.

Lynn, I hope you get your kitchen done soon; I bet you're itching to cook in it!
Go to Top of Page

gracie
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Gracie
Ohio
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  5:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Send gracie an AOL message
Cat, I love you!!!!! That sounds like some of the stuff I do. I did manage to put pork chops in the oven and then took some frozen mashed potatoes out, opened a can of green beans and viola!!!! I have some garlic butter chicken in the crockpot and some beans soaking to make bean soup with. I catch up once in awhile but next week we will be back to grilled cheese and soup. Not much of a cook anymore, but I think of it often. How is eveyone's Friday night going?

life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  5:06:52 PM  Show Profile
BlueEggBabe!!! I wanna come over to ya house for somma dat Thai Chickie Soup!!! Girl, You must have an awesome kitchen and recipe collection, not to mention garden and chicken coop! Uh, should I ask are one of these chickens the "bits" in your soup? I can smell that soup wafting over west to Kansas! By the way, what are potstickers? Sounds like something I'd find in housewares at True Value! Hey, I'm in Kansas, what can I say???

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  9:45:32 PM  Show Profile
No, Meadowlark,
I haven't the heart to put my birds in a soup pot just yet.
I always said if my children were really hungry, in a crisis situation,I know I could.I didn't grow all those veggies either....some came from my CSA garden down the road.
Ah, Friday night confessions of a sometimes farmgirl
I would have loved your company over a bowl of soup!!! As it turned out,everyone went their own way tonight and I ate alone.
sigh...It was darn good,too.

Pot stickers are oriental style dumpling-like things that you saute in a pan til they get brown and crispy around the edges. Then you can drizzle sesame oil and tamari sauce on them.oh so yummy.
Sometimes I put them in soup, too.
Hey, what'd you have for dinner anyway??

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  08:47:04 AM  Show Profile
BlueEgg Babe, Big sigh of relief....I just KNEW ya couldn't make those lovely chickens into "bits"...after all you are writing about them! I would wonder about the author of a cute chicken story book if at the end there were recipes for Thai Chicken Soup or Chicken Pot Pie!
I had leftover homemade TexMex chili...great chili, not great for my personal environment if ya know what I mean! WHEWWWWW! True confession time I used canned whole tomatoes! I had a major crop failure on tomatoes this year. I also used my Dexter bull Zull ( he was really mean, but organic and lean so I try to justify it). Secret ingredients...Chinese Five Spice and a bottle of wheat beer! Shred some extra sharp cheddar cheese on top, chopped onions! Mmmmm Good! Later though a warning....don't light any candles nearby where you are sitting! I call this my HY POWER EXPLOSIVELY GOOD TEX MEX CHILI.

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  11:39:30 AM  Show Profile

you are too funny.....My eyes are watering...from laughing, I mean!
Maybe that would be the meal to eat alone, eh? ha!
I do love a good spicy chili though. Was Zull ground or cubes for this recipe? Had a "Debra" in my freezer for awhile.
She wasn't mean but she sure was tasty

J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  12:27:38 PM  Show Profile
My eyes are watering too...but for a different reason...Ms. Blue Egg, Zull (pronounced Zue-elle) Zue sounding Sue...you know that creature in Bill Murray's girlfriends refrigerator. Zull kind of looked like that; anyway...He was ground. Zull was mixed up really in life...He started out being kinda sweet, then ended up being a real ***####. So...he could not be compartmentalized into cubes. I am really going nuts here, too few hormones or lack of sleep. I did not sleep at all last night, thinking about the farmgirl's in the path of that shedevil Rita! I worry so much about all my sista's!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2005 :  8:09:48 PM  Show Profile
I love chili!! I have a recipe I call "Can-Can Chili" because all the ingrediants come from cans, but everybody RAVES about it. I do try and use organic canned items.

Dr. Oz was on Oprah and said the average human passes gas approximately 14 times per day (without knowing it). What's more fun than speeding up the count with good chili!?

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  09:12:46 AM  Show Profile
I usually make dinner on Friday nights, but last Friday I went out of town. I did cook dinner for some friends on Thursday. I made this, which I got out of the Chicago Tribune.

Chicken with Summer Tomato Fondue
Source: Chicago Tribune

6 medium sun-ripened tomatoes, cored
1 1/2 T extra virgin olive oil
1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, cut into 1-inch squares
1 zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 roasting chicken, 3 1/2 pounds, cut into 8 pieces
1/4 t dried thyme
2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 t salt
Freshly ground pepper

1. Heat a saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, fill a mixing bowl with water and ice cubes; place near the stove. Score a shallow "X" on the bottom of each tomato; lower, one at a time, into the boiling water, leaving just until the skins begin to wrinkle, about 30-45 seconds each. Transfer to the bowl of ice water to cool. Peel the tomatoes, starting at the "X." Cut inot quarters; scoop out and discard the seeds. Set tomatoes aside.

2. Heat 1 1/2 t of the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion; cook, stirring, until it turns translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper and zucchini; cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes; cook until the vegetables are tender, 5-7 minutes. Set aside.

3. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Heat remaining 1 T of oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces, skin side down; cook until evenly golden, 7 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels to drain.

4. Spoon half of the vegetable mixture into the bottom of a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Arrange the chicken pieces evenly on top of vegetables. Spoon the remaining vegetables evenly over the chicken. Sprinkle evenly with the thyme, garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Cover; bake 30 minutes
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  5:31:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh, man - that chili conversation's got me laughing!!
Well, tonight, we had one of our favorites - roast chicken w/vegetables - onions, fennel, carrots, new potatoes and chicken flavored with thyme, garlic, lemon, covered in butter and olive oil. It's just too good!!!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  6:32:51 PM  Show Profile
Super Nachos here....tortilla chips in big flat bowls with melted cheddar cheese, pinto beans I cooked yesterday, fresh tomatoes from the garden, olives, sour cream and seasoned ground beef for my husband...who dosn't like it without. It was a quick easy meal on a busy night.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Tammy
Port Orford Oregon
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  6:36:03 PM  Show Profile
I got a good chuckle over the chicken book for kids, with recipes in the back for chicken. Very funny. I too have chickens I can't bare to eat. We talk about it, but haven't done it yet. This last batch of babies gave us a few too many roosters and they are a little hard on my little hens. So I'll be cooking them up soon (free range, organic, and young) soon to be dinner.

Tonight I cheated and asked my dear daughter (15 years old) to cook. She has a few specialties and tonight it's tamale pie. It's mostly made from a can of chili, can of olives, can of corn, shredded cheese, and Marie calendar cornbread. She has been making it since she was 10, and it gives me a break one in a while.

This last week I experimented with won ton papers. I made ravioli's and homemade sauce. It came out so good, so if you have ever wanted to try it, go for it. We (my daughter and I) made a 3 cheese filling (ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, basil & garlic) and then boiled the little guys for about 3 minutes and it came out great. I will definitely try that one again.

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  7:41:59 PM  Show Profile

Tammy,
Just curious how you keep 'dem wontons from splitting open and losing their filling??
I made wonton soup one time and the wontons just wouldn't keep their edges sealed. I'd love to try the ravioli with wontons ....gots lots of pesto right now!

"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2005 :  8:18:16 PM  Show Profile
My great grandmother make the best tamale pie, but no one could remeber exactly how she made it, and now she is gone. but I was early teen when I ate it and I think about it every once in a while.
Ive tried to make it, but no luck. boohoo
shirley in oly
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  07:58:43 AM  Show Profile
Susan! The reason the wontons split is probably because you were overfilling them.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  10:45:26 AM  Show Profile
I can't remeber what we ate last night (honestly...) but I do know what I'm making tonight. It's a sort of quiche but instead of crust you use sauteed mushrooms mixed with seasoned bread crumbs and pat them in the baking dish, Next mix 6 eggs, 1 cup milk, 1/2 c. mayo, 1 cup shredded cheddar, monterey jack or colby cheese. Chop 1 cup fresh spinach, add herbs to taste (chives, basil, oregano,thyme, mix well and pour into prepared pie dish on top of mushroom crust. Slice nice fresh tomatoes thinly and green pepper strips to top and/or garnish with crumbled bacon. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes and serve with soup or a nice green salad.It's a good cleaning out the fridge/end of the week dinner that everyone likes!.

For all the dairy you can substitute low fat/ no fat and I always use Light real mayo. The degree of no fat effects the texture, but really not the taste so much. Enjoy!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Tammy
Port Orford Oregon
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  11:59:31 AM  Show Profile
Susan,
There could be a few reasons they pop open. Try the following: Use a heaping tsp of filling (one wonton as the top, one wonton as the bottom), use a little water mixed with cornstarch as glue to seal all of the edges (if the edges aren't wet, they won't seal)and then really press the edges together. We made two packages of them this past week and only one popped open.

Shirley,
I doubt my daughters canned tamale pie would compare to your grandmas recipe but if you want to try it, it’s simple. Pour a large can of chili in a 9x11 pan, mixed in a can of drained olives, and drained corn. If you like a little spice mix in a can of green chilies. Mix the up the chili and stuff, then kinda flatten it out. Cover the top of the mixture with cheese (the cheese keeps the cornbread from seeping down in the chili), and then cover with a batch of cornbread. We use Marie Calendars brand, but as long as it covers the top it should work. I think we cook it for 30 min at 400 but just follow the corn bread recipe.

Tonight I am making roast in the slow cooker, I can’t wait! It always taste so good.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Tammy
Port Orford Oregon
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  1:11:00 PM  Show Profile
Well the roast went over really well. Tonight we are making Ziplocs soup. My mom told me her friend use to keep a couple large Ziplocs bags in the freezer. One was for chicken & veggie leftovers and the other was for beef & veggie leftovers. Once the bags were full, she would make a batch of soup. Sometimes can it, sometime make it for dinner. So I started keeping all my little tidbits over the summer and tonight we are making Ziplocs soup.

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  1:41:27 PM  Show Profile
Tammy,
Thanks for the "wonton advice".
I knew not to overfill them, but I didnt use cornstarch.
I just wet and pinched the edges.
Next time I will try the cornstarch paste.

BEB

"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  4:00:55 PM  Show Profile
Tammy...I have done that for years..but in a tupperware container in the freezer...we call it tidbit soup and I put in that little dab of corn, carrots, peas, meat or broth and keep adding cooled stuff to the frozen until it is full then add lots of onions (we like onions) and make it soup. It is good every time and sure is a frugal meal! I try to stick to either chicken or beef and not both..it is usually chicken.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic So, what's for dinner? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page