cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  5:32:07 PM  Show Profile
I have been gradually changing my diet, in an effort to improve my health. I have been cutting down especially on red meat and what I consider "white food" (i.e. sugars, white flour, white rice, etc. and other refined carbs). I was wondering if any of the other farmgirls have tried this, and what their bodies' response has been. I have found that if I drastically cut back on such foods, even for 3-4 days, and then eat them for even 1 serving, my body responds by being more sluggish, and I feel more tired than usual. I'm especially interested in hearing from any vegetarians out there, and if it has made an impact on their health.

Cecelia

ce's farm

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  6:12:41 PM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
I am a vegetarian so I actually eat alot of carbs because even legumes are broken down in carb form.
However, I have a few friends who have given into the protein diet and have great results. I also try to eat whole wheat products except for Sunday Pasta I am Italian....
I find being a vegetarian a fun, and healthy way to eat. I have been one for 9 years and most of my friends are too. We tend to eat organic also...
Terese.....get the classic Moosewood cookbooks....its a great way to start out....or at least experiment
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  10:37:15 PM  Show Profile
I love the Moosewood cookbooks. I am not vegetarian, but have a daughter in law who is, and I cook for her alot. I love to cook and eat vegetarian meals, especially things from the garden...and I sure agree about the "white food" making you sluggish!! My sister does the Atkins diet and every time she goes off it she gains all her weight back. I could stand to lose weight for sure, but feel healthier not yo-yoing like that!
Anyway..the moosewood books are great!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2004 :  2:20:05 PM  Show Profile
My daughter and son-in-law (who is a diabetic) have gone to eating the Hallelujah Diet. It is based on scripture (from Genesis). A Christian organization promotes the diet. I am a strong Christian too, but I know from experience that anyone who takes this diet seriously will benefit. My kids do eat fish and pasta, which is a variant from the diet, but they eat all organic veggies, and no meats (my daughter will eat chicken once in awhile). Anyway, my son-in-law has cut his insulin dependency by 35% by following this diet. It is basically a raw veggie diet, but has wonderful recipes for cooked soups and veggie lasagnas, etc. There is a website with info about the Hallelujah Diet.

Well, to get in sync with my child, I also began to turn to organic veggies and cut back on meats. One year ago, I had gall bladder surgery and lost over 25 pounds in the process leading up to the operation (lots of stomach pain was involved!) I find I now need to keep to vegetables, fruits, pastas, rice, and light breads. I eat chicken and a lot of fish, but rarely beef. I love fruits and eat them a lot. I love yogurt, too. I am becoming a believer that what we put in our bodies does dictate our health.

So I am now an organic gardener too! I figured I would give my daughter some fresh free veggies, spend more time outside, contribute toward a simple lifestyle, and eat better, too. What a lot of postive results in one simple decision!

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2004 :  7:15:55 PM  Show Profile
Jeannie, that diet sounds wonderful, and I don't think I need a website to try it. I luckily, love veggies and fruits, and have just about given up beef. I like fish and chicken, so it shouldn't be too hard to try. Yogurt - well, it's OK but I'm trying to get used to the plain variety, and adding my own fruit to sweeten it up. When I check all the labels closely, I see that just about everything has some type of sugar in it, and I'm really concerned about that. I don't use too much in the way of relishes and condiments, but I found a ketchup with honey, and another with no sugar at all, so I'm buying more and more organic and "different foods". I've even found unsalted potato chips for my son, but he's not too fond of them! I'm trying to stick to the things you mentioned, because I too believe that what you put in your body has a lot to do with your health. Thanks for the help and comments.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2004 :  8:45:53 PM  Show Profile
Our family has been sometimes veggie (almost, close, not quite, wish we were) for about 20 years. I have not cooked red meat for about 15 yrs. We have used homegrown, natural, organic foods as much as possible. Luckily, my family were great guinea pigs..I remember pleas from my daughter.."Please, mom- no more lentil loaf". Occasionaly we eat white meat chicken (when I am really lazy). We used to eat some of the trout we caught. Now we are "catch and release". My husband says he is also "shoot and release"..because he never shot anything. I think its important to read labels, and am looking at more vegan foods. The kids/grandkids are adventerous, and don't mind my cooking. I love the Moosewood cookbooks. I am major believer in portion control. I really think that is a real key to good health. Of course, there is a lot more involved. And, I might switch from whole milk ice cream to frozen yogurt. However, if I eat the entire tub of frozen yogurt..how healthy is that? I substitute tofu for chicken often in casseroles and stirfries. I really like the flavored/baked varieties. My grandkids love fried eggplant. They call them eggplant cookies. I collect cookbooks, and I try to find chef books from vegetarian academies. My down fall is staying up late like this and snacking before bed. I really want to go back to curves. Believe me I can think of any reason to not excercise.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2004 :  9:53:19 PM  Show Profile
Cecelia (you have a beautiful name, by the way) why not make your own yogurt? It is really easy and you know exactly what goes in it. I make it alot. In your first batch you have to have a small amount of plain storebought yogurt for the culture, but after that you can save a little from the last batch you made for starter. I add fruit, vanilla, whatever sounds good. The kids love it too.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2004 :  6:40:38 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny, thank you for the comment on my name - sometimes I still wonder why my Mom named me that! When I was in grade school everyone had a nickname except me. I used to make my own yogurt with an electric yogurt maker, but gave it up when I had trouble finding the starter, and didn't have much success using previous batches or store-bought yogurt as a starter. I've been getting organic yogurt instead. One thing I have found helps me in two ways: health-wise and time-wise. I love to cook, and sometimes fall victim to those beautiful but complicated recipes you find, even in "veggie" or "organic" magazines. Usually they're too time consuming, need too many ingredients which I'll never use again, or my husband and son won't eat it. I now find that the simpler the better: instead of a complicated dish with fish, lentils, whatever, I just cook everything plain. By that I mean no special sauces needed, just some herbs on top, maybe some garlic, tomato, lemon or onion. Same with veggies - I used to go nuts making various dishes, now I just steam or bake them, add some olive oil or a pat of butter, and some herbs, lemon or such. It makes life simpler, and I just know it's healthier.

Cecelia

ps thanks for everyone's comments! It's helping me a lot.

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2004 :  10:16:57 PM  Show Profile
simple always tastes better too!!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2004 :  2:19:28 PM  Show Profile
My favorite grandma (also one of my favorite people ever) was named Cecile. She told me once that it sounded plain to her and she liked Cecelia better (fancier). Too bad she didn't start calling herself that when she was young! She must have been 75 when she mentioned it to me.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  08:24:18 AM  Show Profile
I have a few nicknames, given me by other people. They range from Sissy (hated that until I saw Sissy Spacek!), Cissy, Cece, Ceci, etc. I actually like Cecile - sort of has a French air to it, although I'm far from that heritage. Trouble is no one spells the nicknames they same way, and they all sound similar!

Cecelia (need a nickname - any suggestions???!!!)

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  11:54:01 AM  Show Profile
I've used frozen tofu in soups. Cube it and add it to chicken or veggie broth, veggies, and spices. It has a chewy texture after having been frozen.

I am experimenting with whole wheat flower and wheat bran to make muffins that are high in fiber, low in fat and very healthy. I add applesauce and dried or fresh fruit for sweetness, and nuts of some kind for protein.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  5:20:34 PM  Show Profile
Julie, I just re-made a muffin recipe, but I didn't write everything down as I was going along!
I will get the recipe posted tomorrow. It's a pumpkin muffin recipe, with a cream cheese filling. I re-made it "more healthy" by using some whole wheat flour, etc. I think you will like it!

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2004 :  11:11:46 PM  Show Profile
I have been on a muffin making kick lately...boy that one sounds good! I don't think my family ever gets tired of muffins!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2004 :  2:22:43 PM  Show Profile
Here's my recipe: heat oven to 375 deg. Lightly coat/spray 12 muffin cups (1-12 or 2-6) and set aside.

Mix 4 oz. cream cheese, 2 eggs, 1 tbsp. sugar in a bowl & set aside.
Mix 1 cup sugar, 1 cup all purpose flour, 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/4 tsp. baking soda together - set aside.
Mix 1 can pumpkin (about 15 oz.) with 1 egg, 4 tbsp. cooking oil, either 1 tbsp. maple syrup OR
1/2 tsp. maple flavoring in a bowl. Blend well, then pour this mixture into the flour mixture.

Fill muffin cups about half full, place 1-2 tsp. of the cream cheese mix in the middle, then cover with more flour/pumpkin mix. You can sprinkle the tops with nuts or sugar if you like.
Bake about 20-25 minutes until a tester comes out clean. Cool and remove from pans. Enjoy!

I used canola oil; you can use more or less sugar - these aren't real sweet tasting (to me).
I used broken pecans, you can also add nuts (pecans or walnuts) directly to the batter before baking the muffins.

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2004 :  2:19:03 PM  Show Profile
You are very welcome I wish you could stop over for tea and muffins! Enjoy them while warm!

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2004 :  5:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
I made jam today and canned some peaches with a friend on friday nothing like the smell of peaches rippening on the dining room table int the late summer...
terese

beginnings
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2004 :  7:42:03 PM  Show Profile
I can hardly wait..I get peaches next week. Satisfied my canning urge by making strawberry jam today..it turned out really pretty. I may do apricot tomorrow. I froze enough for two more separate batches when I was canning then a couple weeks ago. I love the peaches best though!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2004 :  8:21:54 PM  Show Profile
I can almost smell the peaches, they sound so good. They are a little pricey here yet, but I am beginning to see them at market. This week we will do wild grape jelly. Yum. Cecelia, I am taking your muffin recipe to town with me tomorrow, to make sure I have all the ingredients.
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2004 :  07:01:38 AM  Show Profile
Cecelia,

The muffins sound fabulous. Can't wait to try them.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2004 :  4:17:57 PM  Show Profile
I saw a book called "The Makers Diet" at the health food store. Its about eating the God had originally intended us to eat. I want to check it out of the libary. I almost bought it but I have so many "diet" books, I could start my own store! I have reverted back to eating whole grains and leaving out gluten and processed foods. I feel better in doing so. So many processed food, especially with white flour give me the WORST case of indigestion. I think I may have an allergy to gluten.

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

64 Posts

Dave
Vestal NY
64 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2004 :  4:45:02 PM  Show Profile
Boy, is this going to be an active thread. Have tried vegan several times without much success, those bean curds just don't cut it. A vegan at work does not eat cheese or eggs or fish, and it seems that at 56, that actually comprises most of my diet. After a night of dancing, we always have jalapeno cheese and crackers, and my fiance's favorite meal that I make is salmon patties, rice and squash or spinach. Used to be 6 ft 2, 128 lbs, now I battle to keep it under 205, keep on dancing, she tells me (smile).
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  12:47:50 PM  Show Profile
Kim, I think I may be allergic to the gluten, etc. as you mentioned. Also perhaps caffeine, or a combination of the two. Whenever I eat something made of white flour and sugar, esp. with coffee (not tea) I feel sluggish and somewhat out of sorts; my sinuses don't feel well for a day or two, the doctor said I needed an inhaler because I have asthsma, but I think it's just the white foods.

Dave, I agree on the bean curds! I've tried marinating the tofu and grilling it, just could barely get it down. But I have a super recipe for pudding made from silken tofu, and that's great. I'm still trying to cut out the red meat and "white foods". I always have a better time of it in the Fall, because I can make lots of soup from scratch. I also eat a lot of eggs, fish, cheese and lately more fish - salmon is a favorite, and I recently cut out the farm raised fish due to concerns of pollution in the ponds and feed. Did you know canned salmon is wild salmon? Just found that out also. Going vegan, but the hubby & son want that red meat, ice cream and cookies!!!

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  1:24:40 PM  Show Profile
Luckily, both boyfriend and I love tofu. We have it often in broth based soup with crunchy green veggies like escarole, and then add mushrooms. It is very filling yet very healthy. We put some jalapeno in it for flavor.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2004 :  2:50:31 PM  Show Profile
Cecelia
My sinuses act up also, when I eat too much processed foods. But I also have allergies to some airborn stuff. I do eat red meat, but we get our meat from local farmers. We go in 1/2 with anotyher couple and split a side of beef. We used to get a pig every year from a local farmer friend but he has show pigs now. The locals are trying to squash his attempts at expanding his pig farm. Sad.

farmgirl@heart
Longaberger Lover and all things antique
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2004 :  5:55:47 PM  Show Profile
Well I guess I'm going to get out one of those cookbooks and look up some more recipes for tofu, maybe I just need to hide it well in other food! I'm really doing well cutting out the red meat, and I do feel better for it. I'm down to no more than once a week now. I read that if you simply cut down of meat for a year (and don't substitute junk food) you can lose up to 10 lbs. I just think it's better for your entire body. Does anyone eat miso soup?
I have some but haven't tried it yet - my thought is that it will be too salty.

Cecelia

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Suggestions: Previous Topic Healthy Eating Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page