Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Little titmouse this morning, right at our door...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Little titmouse this morning, right at our door... Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  09:56:40 AM  Show Profile
collecting items for nesting. I love all the birds, but those little things are TOO cute with their crest and big black eyes! Sweet little thing, kept stuffing as much as it could into it's beak. Justin just put some dryer lint out so she'll have some better "selection"

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  11:20:10 AM  Show Profile
Aw...they are really cute. WE have a cardinal building a nest in the bush outside the kitchen window. She was really irritated at my hubby today when he was out there working in the garden. She had work to do and he was definitely in the way!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  5:02:06 PM  Show Profile
They are cute! I love the song also-one version of it sounds like they are saying "pretty bird, I'm a pretty bird"!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 03 2008 :  5:38:50 PM  Show Profile
I agree, Jennifer!!! The one who looks at me while I'm on my porch swing REALLY thinks he's a pretty bird. He sings so loud sometimes I have to go Pssst! because he's sooo close!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

mrsmorgen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

morgen
coudersport pa
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  05:36:10 AM  Show Profile
We just had a little bird move into our birdhouse and the whole household is excited! There aren't many birds we haven't identified around here but this one is new. We are so excited!
morgen

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..
laura ingalls wilder

www.laubers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  06:06:55 AM  Show Profile
what does your bird look like, Morgen? I love birds, and we have a big book to identify with. Maybe I can help.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  4:41:53 PM  Show Profile
I put up a wren house this year. I really miss the ones our neighbors had in Ohio...such a pretty song!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  4:44:58 PM  Show Profile
Shirley Jean, we'll have to confer because I have a couple of new finches this year and they are SING SONGY!!! So cute though...

Sarah...I have wren houses up, but apparently they prefer the inside of MY home--we had 3 inside last year. Talk about a nightmare with 3 cats and 4 dogs...I'd come in an everything was knocked over, but that poor little thing was still swooping around! Left all my doors open and eventually she/he went out!

I do love birds, though!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  5:10:11 PM  Show Profile
Jonni - if they are extremely sing songy - they may be a type of warbler. There are many warblers and some of them look similar to finches. I have had the American Goldfinch, and the Purple Finch and the House Finch, which has a purplish head and a brown body. The warblers have bigger eyes, and sometimes flick their tails a lot. They also use snake skin to line their nests.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 04 2008 :  6:47:18 PM  Show Profile
How interesting, Shirley Jean...these two (I believe a pair), were a bit larger than our gold finches, and one had a distinctly reddish head. In the dusk, I thought they're bodies were dark plum, but I think probably gray. They were just going to town with their chirps, Shirely and it didn't seem to be in a pattern that I've heard before (or could discern). At the same times, the doves were chasing each other about and I was standing stark still to take it all in!

Well, in light of that GIANT snake we saw a few days ago, they'll be in luck!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  06:08:40 AM  Show Profile
Jonni - I was reading about purple finches. They are described as a sparrow dipped in raspberry juice. The female is more brownish grey and her striping shows more on her breast area. The house finch has a purplish reddishhead and a brown body. Both birds have a lighter and fatter beak than warblers, so that is anohter way you can decided which it is. But I think your choice of it being a finch is probably right. my book says both are very musical. I hope they make a home near yours!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  08:49:16 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like them, Shirley Jean...Say, what's the name of that book? I have a small audubon guide because we have several "passers through" that I don't recognize and look up (like an Eastern Towee who hung around for a few days in the middle of April and is now gone), and I was able to find him, but I'd like a more comprehensive book. Sounds like your's is a good one!

I'll have to go out tonight and see what they're singing about this evening. So loud, they were!!!!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  09:28:18 AM  Show Profile
We have two. Peterson Field Guides - Eastern Birds, and National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America. Both have illustrations of the birds rather than photos, which I like better for some reason. We have kept a bird list since we got married thirty years ago, and we have 70 different species of birds on it! I have seen a Rufous-sided Towhee.....is that the same as an Eastern Towhee? They are called that because thatishow they sound "toooooooeheeeee". Each of my books has one but not the other, and they look similar.

Anyway, enjoy your bird songs!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  09:31:00 AM  Show Profile
It is the same bird, Shirley Jean! The guide I have only called him an Eastern Towee. Very pretty bird, though, and always by his lonesome. Thanks for the book names...I really do love to identify them and we participate in the backyard bird count every season. Do you?

I write them down in a little journal, and date them, so one day (if we ever have children), they can look back and see what a goofball their mother was :)

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  10:14:39 AM  Show Profile
You are a sweet girl, Jonni, who cares about people and birds and animals - except maybe raccoons :) But you are not a goofball!!! I would have loved to see a list like that made by my mom.

I have always wanted to participate in the backyard bird count but have never done it. I see it advertised in the papers here, and someday I want to do it. The rarest bird I ever saw at our feeders - a Indigo Bunting. One day I came home for lunch, and at the feeder was a turquoise bird ....so beautiful. I read that they are really black, but their feathers are so irridescent that the sun makes them look deep turquoise. It returned each day for three days and then was gone. I was so glad to have seen it!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  5:59:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Shirley Jean...and I have news to report. Your (book) description was right on about those purple finches. I believe I have 2 males and 1 female...the BOYS are the singers, fighting over her. I had supper on the porch tonight and watched it all unfold. Soooo nifty, the way these birds court. I have to laugh at the poor doves, though. The male dove swoops down and chases the poor female dove all around the feeder. She just runs and runs! Cracks me up!

You should participate, especially with the travelers you get. How awesome to have seen that Indigo Bunting. I just don't think they come our way!

Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  10:43:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jonni, I just love the titmouse too. We have a pair who have been coming the back door to pick cat hair out of my welcome mat. She is amazing how she stuffs that little beak full of white fur to line her nest. I have tried to keep the mat clean but she does a much better job than I do. Entertainment just doesn't get sweet than watching her!

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  05:38:36 AM  Show Profile
They are too cute, Lea! Over the weekend, I had to go buy some squirrel pepper to mix in with the black oil sunflower because the squirrels are eating me out of house and home, and I was a little concerned that it would "scare" the birds away, too, but they've been out in full force, including those two little ones, the Titmouse(s). I crack up watching them--and her mate, well, he just hangs on the chain of my porchswing and hollers at me, looking at me with those big eyes, while I'm outside reading!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Little titmouse this morning, right at our door... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page