dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  7:12:09 PM  Show Profile
This is a favorite of my family and friends, and I thought was very appropriate for this website:

Apple Butter Ice Cream

1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups applebutter (homemade)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the sugar into the eggs and egg yolks until thickened and pale yellow. Beat in the flour. Set aside.

Bring the light cream to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan. Slowly beat the hot cream into the eggs and sugar. Pour the entire mixture back into the pan and place over low heat. Stir constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon until the custard thickens slightly. Be careful not to let the mixture boil or the eggs with scramble. Remove from the heat and whisk in the apple butter and cinnamon. Pour the hot apple butter custard through a strainer into a large, clean bowl. Stir in the vanilla. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until cold or overnight.

Stir the chilled custard, then freeze in 1 or 2 batches in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions. When finished, the ice cream will be soft but ready to eat. For firmer ice cream, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze at least two hours.

Serving tip: Hollow out an apple and fill with apple butter ice cream. Serve on a small desert plate dusted with ground cinnamon.

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  02:48:59 AM  Show Profile
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh This sounds sooooooooo good! I'm going to print it for my neighbor. She makes goat milk ice cream often. I'm looking for an ice cream maker but they're hard to find in September.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  3:22:34 PM  Show Profile
That sounds fabulous! I am going to have to try it. What a great idea for a simple dessert for Thanksgiving. Yum.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  3:27:11 PM  Show Profile
That sounds absolutely delicious. My ice cream maker was a casualty of divorce and I haven't replaced it yet. Do any of you use electric? My old one was the hand crank kind and I wonder if I would use an electric one more often. You know, like when you have 1/2 gallon of milk left that needs to be used up right away (like I do right now), just throw it in the electric ice cream maker.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  5:22:18 PM  Show Profile
The secret for me to having an electric machine is to keep the bowl in the freezer, clean and ready to go. That was usually the reason I didn't use my machine. I always forgot that the bowl had to be frozen. When it hits me that I want to make ice cream, I yank it out and get busy.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Apple Butter Ice Cream Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page