Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 How starchy is spaghetti squash?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How starchy is spaghetti squash? Next Topic  

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  10:52:23 AM  Show Profile
I'm having 2 friends of my husband's over for dinner tomorrow night. I'm going to make a chicken dish that specifically calls for home-grown tomatoes, and I'm going to use the tomatoes I bought at the farmer's market. The chicken recipe also calls for a bell pepper, a zucchini and an onion.

I was also going to make small red potatoes with rosemary and garlic.

Now, the question....I have a spaghetti squash that has been patiently sitting in my cupboard for a couple of weeks. I have a recipe for a cold spaghetti squash salad that calls for chick peas, onions, red pepper, tomato, cider vinegar and basil. I was thinking of omitting the tomato, because there are so many in the chicken already, and subsituting another vegetable, maybe broccoli.

It's been a long time since I've eaten spaghetti squash, and I remember it being more like a vegetable than a starch. The recipe from the paper says the salad contains 14 grams of fiber, which would indicate that it's more veggie-like than starch-like.

So my question is, does spaghetti squash behave like most winter squashes (i.e. starchy and used as a substitute for potatoes, etc.) or vegetable-like (more like summer squashes in consistency).

Can you help me?

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  11:39:24 AM  Show Profile
I wouldn't consider it starchy at all. I say much more like a summer squash than winter, unless you way over cook it then it gets more mushy.That sald sounds really good.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  11:51:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the help. I'm going to make it, then.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic How starchy is spaghetti squash? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page