Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Pain In the Neck--Literally!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Pain In the Neck--Literally! Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  07:26:01 AM  Show Profile
I have had (what I think) is a pulled muscle in my neck since Friday evening--it really burned right before I went to bed...I put cold/hot packs around my neck Friday night and it felt better, but Saturday and Sunday have been miserable. It's making me really grouchy Now it's really stiff, and hurts all the way up into the base of my skull. Any ideas? I made a rice heat pack last night, and then used a bag of frozen peas, but nothing like that seems to work.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  08:19:56 AM  Show Profile
That's horrible Jonni and can give you a real nasty headache to boot. I can only tell you what works for me and that's my chiropractor who can take it right out. Have you tried getting your dh to maybe massage it? Also, it you can pinpoint a particularly sore spot, a little direct pressure on it can sometimes help the muscles to relax even though it really hurts to press on it.
Di
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  11:55:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Diane...that's what's happening. Feels like the whole left part of my neck and back hurt now...I've tried pressing on the most tender part (against the base of my skull) and it just about sends me to the roof! I'm going to keep trying that to see if I can relieve the tension (or whatever).

Justin has a tendency to rub too hard, but maybe I can get him to ease up a little. It feels really "hot" to the touch.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  12:46:05 PM  Show Profile
Jonni- When I get pain like that, I head to the tub and fill it with the hottest water I can stand. Now, I don't have a large tub, so I have to put my feet on the wall so that I can get my head down in the water and float. Adding a few Alka-Seltzer tablets right under your head will allow the bubbles to come up around you, helping you to relax. Soak for as long as you can. It really does help, although if anyone walked in on me I would be mortified! That's why I lock the door.
I hope you feel better soon!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  6:06:40 PM  Show Profile
I have occasional neck pain due to a car accident I was in 8 years ago. I have found using an anti-inflammatory to help a lot with the pain. I also do daily neck exercises and that has really helped stop the flare ups. I hope the pain goes away soon!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  7:16:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls. I am just now settling down (at 10:13) because we had family visiting tonight from Atlanta. I love having them, and I cooked dinner and took a couple of motrin. Felt better and laughing and talking made me forget it for a time...but it's back and it really started giving me a headache! I am doing some slow stretches and will get in the bath as soon as Jus is done--his back is acting up, too--we're quite a pair!!!

I think our tree cutting and clearing this weekend has caught up with us!

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2891 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2891 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  07:15:45 AM  Show Profile
Jonni We have a saying here at our house for situations such as yours & Jus's
"YN25A"
About 5 yrs ago Jim's BIL was trying to help cut a tree down at MIL's house & Jim's sister was over reacting & yelled to him "Be CAREFUL!!! You're not 25 anymore!!!" So Jim & I started saying that when one of us as aching & it has been shortened to YN25A.. Although you are still a baby, I can officially say to you now: YN25A... Unfortunately, Jim & I are now saying YN45A. HA!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  1:13:14 PM  Show Profile
I like that, for sure, Lisa! That may become one of my new "coloquialisms" along with my two favorites: "you can't buy that for a dollar!" and "you must think I came down with yesterday's rain!"....and I certainly feel more like the other side of 35 today (and I'm only 34!)

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  06:57:33 AM  Show Profile
As scary as it sounds, I'd recommend a chiropractor.

A few years ago I fell on my chest/neck and have had migraines ever since.

The chiro initially helped work out the major kink. I sufferd through 2 days of a sharp pain at the base of my skull before finally working up the guts.

The pain gets aggravated when I lift heavy items (hay bales mostly) and forget to shift the weight to my left. After the fall, I also went to the headache clinic in a bigger city. I have prescription meds that I take at the first onset of the pain. It works best if I don't try to fight it. Before realizing what was happening, I'd go through headache spells 9 or more times a month. Now that I know what mostly triggers the pain, I can alternate lifting techniques.

Please get it checked out ASAP. We are tough now, but neglected things like this will make us pay later on in our 50s and 60s
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Pain In the Neck--Literally! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page