Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Are people really falling for it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are people really falling for it? Next Topic
Page: of 2

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  06:55:15 AM  Show Profile
I don't shop at Sprawl-Mart either. I understand why some people do and feel it's their only option, but I prefer not to. I've seen a number of documentaries, including the one you mentioned Beth and it put me off even more. The one that really impacted me though was one on Independent Lens on PBS called China Blue. It's not Wal-mart specific, but it shows the massive manufacturing push in China, and how girls much younger than myself are working through the night to make cheap jeans. It was hard to watch, but really interesting. When you see those low prices you have to ask yourself- Why are these so low? How can they make this for such little amount of money? Who gets the smallest chunk of it? Not Wal-mart, and not the big bosses...
What I really don't like about these big stores is the vast amount of 'stuff' everywhere. When I go in, it's like sensory overload, you know? It makes me feel uncomfortable and it's such a maze to find something- I may pay more at the little places (and sometimes not!) but I know if I go in there, I'll only buy the one thing I need, and not a lot of stuff I don't.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  07:03:07 AM  Show Profile
My problem with Wal Mart is that, although they have such huge stores, they don't have anything! In many cases, there is only one brand and one flavor. Or, if they do 'carry' it, it's always out of stock. And, as for their meats and vegetables, oh, please. Why would I want to buy a sirloin steak that is almost thin enough to see through for $8.00 when I can get the same one at Kroger or our local small grocery store, Rivertown, that's either prepackaged at 1/2" or better, or Doug will cut for me according to my needs, for the same amount or less? We do shop at WalMart occasionally, but more and more I've been shifting to our local grocery store Rivertown, the dollar stores and Kroger. At Kroger, I at least get treated nicely, and can get some good deals occasionally on their produce and meats. More and more I'm appreciating that we are not far from processing our own meats and vegetables. Please, June, hurry up! I need my fresh tomatoes!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  07:05:26 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Meg- I agree with the sensory overload. When I went the other day, I was great with all these beach balls, chairs, towels, suntan lotion all right there at the front door (and I LOVE THE BEACH!!!) but it was too much. I swear I feel like some of the shelves are going to topple over on me. I hate trying to find something like a jar of sauce just do to the sheer magnitude of the length of the aisles. Scary!!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  10:41:03 AM  Show Profile
my home is a small farming town in Louisiana---about 2500 people. Walmart's came in and built a big store. Well, in no time most of our Mom and Pop stores had to close because they were NO competion for Walmart's prices. After we were dependent on them, they closed their store . Calls were made begging them to stay open, petitions were passed, explaining that their store ruined numerous business' in our small town. The response was. they didn't make enough money on our store. I find that hard to believe because that store was NEVER without a parking lot full of cars and people inside. It serviced many small farming town surrounding us.

One of the major networks did a special on Walmart's and they stated that our store was the ONLY store they had closed due to lack of business to support the store.

Needless to say, as they shout about their giving to chairty and supporting the towns they are in ; I just shake my head.

PS----my town has grown so much that when I return to visit family, I don't recognize many of the people that are residents. No, we still don't have Walmarts, but we do have Mom and Pop stores and I love it.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  12:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080429/us_nm/walmart_rebates_dc

Hmmm...seems a timely article...

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  8:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Thanks for the link Heather...that is about right...of course they will cash it for free--because they know that the person will be spending that cash in their store...and if they can cut prices for this check--which mind you is appreciated, but not a "special occasion,"--then why can't they just lower their prices all together?? Because then they couldn't pull the wool over shoppers' eyes and wallets anymore!

...I could soapbox this forever!

Dirt under my nails and weeds in my hair...don't tell me I can't dress up with flair!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  03:32:22 AM  Show Profile
I too had heard about the business relationship Walmart has w/ its suppliers. It's pretty cut thorat

If we had a Whole Foods or Earth Fare just as close---no mater the prices, I'd shop there instead.

For cloting, I buy nothing from WM. Too cheaply made, too trendy and just plain ugly.

And happily, during the summer months, we hardly need anything from there.

There are 3 WMs witin the 30 mile radius of where we are. The closest 2 are actually equidistant, both at 20 miles. The one that sells liquor actually has the smallest selection of food items-but there is NEVER any waiting.

We also have a LOWES and I hate it. Customer service is bad. Happily, the local hardware store IS still very much alive and well. I know the store owner and (the only employee). Tom has been here in Seagrove for many many years. Kinda cool how you can find EVERYTHING here...from livestock feeds, canning suplies--always a bonus- to plumbing tools and sheet metal. Many times when the other bigger stores don't have parts, we always recommend Seagrove Hardware. Tom also takes the time to actually find what you need and asks questions about your particular project to further assist. Now THAT"S customer service! And the best thing is, he buys my eggs!
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  1:00:03 PM  Show Profile
I rarely shop at WM. I try to find it somewhere else whenever possible.
I work for one of their vendors, and at best they are difficult. If it were me, I wouldn't sell them anything as we probably don't make much, if anything from them.
I don't buy their smarmy "Green" ads either.

And Anna, I am like you and try to shop at my local hardware store whenever I can as well. The older gentleman who owns it, is so sweet and friendly.
I haven't had bad service at Lowe's the few times I have been there. The one by my work; they are pretty friendly and helpful there.
BUT if I can't get it thru my hardware store, I try to shop at a
semi-local Lowe's type store called Menard's first. They are usually cheaper than Lowe's anyways and they are a Wisconsin based company. I'd rather see them do well than give it to the big box guys.

I can't stand the Home Depot. I can never find anyone there to help, their prices stink, and their "Eco Options" bs just made me laugh!

For clothing, other than socks and undies, I try to shop at the thrift store first. If I can't find what I need there, I usually shop at Target, since their 75% off clearance rack fits my budget and I dont' have a lot of time to shop.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Apr 30 2008 1:03:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  1:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ok, I was in there (don't hit me) the other day with my neighbor. She was looking for flip flops when they had a "Code Red" drill..whatever the heck that was. It didn't seem too important because most of the employees looked like they were falling asleep. One girl was walking around eating while hanging up clothing. Hope I get the one with the stain on it!!

We went to check out using the self check out and the girl stood their, hoovering over us like we were going to make off with a pair of pink flip flops. She rudely asked us if that was all we had to buy- Yep- me and my old friend are the flip flop fiends!! Watch your shoes because I am coming. I guess because I was messing with the junk they had piled up front while I was waiting for my friend to finish, she thought I fingered something...grrr!!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  1:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay- so I am google nut and found out what the "codes" at walmart mean-

Code ADAM - missing child
Code Blue - bomb
Code Red - Fire
Code Orange - Chemical Spill
Code Black - weather warning
Code Green - Hostage Situation
Code C - Customer Service Sometimes used, when
cashiers needed
Code 10 - Dry Spill
Code 20 - Wet Spill
Code 90 - Management
Code 300 - Security
Store # - Backup needed.. (all male employees and security)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  1:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh!! Thanks Alee!!

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  2:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I have actually seen the Store# code before...you are apparently not supposed to bring propane tanks in to be filled...they are considered a bomb (even though they are empty), and the guy who brought it in is a beligerent fart...just plain mean. He refused to take it back outside...so, the yelling and cursing ensued, then they called the code....sadly, all the male employees that were working that day were of the more mature age..ie the door greeting type. So here is this 30 year old know it all yelling at a whole gaggle of older men....only in a small town WM!

Dirt under my nails and weeds in my hair...don't tell me I can't dress up with flair!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are people really falling for it? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page