CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  3:09:38 PM  Show Profile
we sure had a fun (and informative) time up in louisville the last few days.

early sunday morning we headed over the bridge into indiana for a lovely brunch and boat ride on the ohio river. then decided rather than hit some fun-sounding 'festivities' that were happening in town for 'derby day' .. we reeeeeeeely wanted to check out the BASS PRO SHOP .. they have SUCH fun stuff! Hank's kinda' clothes (a little too 'preppy' for me .. nevertheless nice clothing!)

i was ecstatic to find an ADORABLE 'real' child-size tent just big enough for lucas and sofia (bet that new baby that's due soon can fit in there too!) ... and matching sleeping bags! they also have matching 'camp chairs' .. but none in stock! when i head for toledo in a couple weeks .. i'll stop at the cinnci store . .they have lots!

then we went to our LOVELY Gault House hotel .. we were on the top floor (24) overlooking the water .. (there is a 25th floor .. but it's a restaurant!)

after checking in' .. we ambled down a few blocks to Fourth Street LIVE .. for dinner at HARD ROCK CAFE! i had a SCRUMPTIOUS chicken salad .. piled high! (didn't want to do too much 'high sugar' damage .. cuz' early next morning i had to be at my endocrinologist's office to get "LA PUMP"!!!

beautiful day .. but towards evening .. it was turning chilly! soooo .. back to our hotel for snuggling!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  3:46:18 PM  Show Profile
MONDAY morning .. up bright and early .. only one other person (a professor who works for the University of Virginia (his wife is a dean there). but they LIVE in Louisville! five months of the year they teach classes for U of VA students aboard and ocean liner. he will be meeting and teaching with Desmond TUTU this semester! WOWZER! i figgered HE was going to 'get' this pump-thing a lot better and faster than me!

well, i got 'hooked up' .. oh lordy! sooooooooooooo much to know and understand. but hopefully, my numbers will be more 'on target' once i get it all down!

spent about half-a-day there learning and pumpin' .. then .. i was on my own for the rest of the day and night!

we had to eat dinner by 7 p.m. ... (figuring out correct insulin amounts to pump into us!) ... and i hadn't even EATEN yet!!!

at LUNCH .. i shot up to almost 300 .. and i was SURE i had done everything right! i got all 'conflustercated' ... the 'warning' message scared the be-jeezuz outta' me .. poor hank is sitting with me at the BORDERS cafe .. and i put in a panic-ed call to my teacher .. i was in TEARS! she calmed me down .. (somewhat) .. and told me what to do!

(we were told to call her anytime DAY OR NIGHT with ANY problems, questions or concerns). thank GAWD we stayed in town .. we are a good hour or more from louisville .. depending on traffic!

well . the day's saga continued .. i am already looking back on it and laughing .. but it was NOT funny at the time!

later on .. we were leaving borders ..i had an armfull of purses, and books and pump equipment .. and it started to rain and the wind was blowin' like a hurricane and it was freezing .. and i had no COAT (jus' a blue-jean jacket).

hank is telling me .. (NO! .. make that YELLING) at me ... to get him the keys and he'd go the 4 blocks to get the car and come back and get me .. well, wouldn't you know .. they are at the BOTTOM of my purse .. and my phone rings .. it is my teacher calling me back from my earlier SECOND panic phone call! (she's left another class she is teaching .. sooo .. i'm in a 'PANIC-INGLY' hurring not to keep her out of class!)

I'm flippin' and floppin' and jugglin' and trying to test my blood sugars on the street without being blown to kansas .. and yep! i started CRYING .. (NO! ... make that WAILING) again!

i finally .. just run back down the block to BORDERS .. go into the lobby .. drop everything .. tell hank to find the keys his own 'dam' self! ... when Amy (my teacher) .. tells me to NOT measure myself again for a couple more hours .. it's only been an hour since i last ate .. and to wait to see if the insulin is working in a ocuple hours (i should be back down to about a hundred by then!)

i apologize profusely .. she soothingly tells me to 'calm down' ... she doesn't tell me until tomorrow to just IMAGINE how whacky my numbers have been on the insulin PEN .. and i never even knew it because i wasan't measuring or dosing correctly!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  3:58:18 PM  Show Profile
My goodness Frannie, felt like I was right there with on the telling of that true tale. How are you doing now.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  4:01:37 PM  Show Profile
CHAPTER THREE!!!

LORDY HAVE MERCY!!! we went to a wonderfully elegant (and good grief EXPENSIVE) italian restaurant on historic Frankfort Street .. i sit there and look at all the carb-laden foods .. and have absolutely NO WAY to figure out how many carbs in ANYTHING on the menu .. and TONIGHT and TOMORROW's readings are CRUCIAL to figure out if my pump has been figured correctly (ratios and such) ... by now .. what little i even remembered from junior high school math is lodged somewhere in my body other than my brain .. and i can't even remember what RATIO means much less fractions and multiplication and division!!! HA! .. i 'very vaguely' remember the words 'add and subtract' from first grade at this point! yep! MELTDOWN!!!

hank finally digs out a calorie/fats/carbs food book out of the bottom of my purse (they had been covering the car keys not long ago!) and asks me through smiling TEETH .. to choose anything on the menu that i want .. and HE will figure out 'about' how many carbs i will be injesting ... which of course, reduces me to racking sobs in this lovely, quiet little 'bistro'.

We had a very brave young waiter who ventured towards to table to give the heimlich maneuver .. or whatever other life-saving procedure i might need!

i SOB: "DIE-----ah----m----a----di----a-be-e-e-e-t--iiiicccc!!!!" the poor man is about to run dial 911 .. when hank assures him 'all is well' .. that we'll just need a few moments!

finally, i order FIVE shrimp .. half a cup of RISOTTO (the devil incarnate i'm sure!) and then notice the shrimp have a 'lemon-garlic-wine' sauce on them .. which about sends me running out the door and down to McDonald's .. THEY have a 'carb-count' menu and i'll know EXACTLY what i am injesting while having my 'fatty-heart-attack' meal!

hank hurridly flips through the calorie-fat-carbohydrate book .. like he had superpowers to read each ingredient in the entire book in a nano-second .. and comes up with less than three carbs for an entire quart of 'lemon-garlic-wine' sauce! NONE for the shrimp and a HUNDRED carbs for a WHOLE CUP of rissotto (at this point .. i didn't even want to know that THAT was cookoed in that might add 4,000 more carbs!) .

our sweet waiter creeps back to the table and assures me that he has understood my dilemma and discussed it with the chef .. who also happens to be a DIE-----ah----m----a----di----a-be-e-e-e-t--iiiicccc!!!!" and has sworn on his grandmother's grave that he won't overdose me!

well .. i gobbled down my TWENTY-EIGHT DOLLAR five shrimp .. sopped up the syrup with my fingers and choked down the risotto ... (after giving myself a 'guess' at the carb-count!) (i think i went with the HUNDRED for risotto and to hell-with-the-SAUCE count!)

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  4:06:51 PM  Show Profile
CHAPTER FOUR .. (ANYBODY STILL WITH ME? you might want to read all the way through in case YOU or a 'loved-one' ever becomes a : DIE-----ah----m----a----di----a-be-e-e-e-t--iiiicccc!!!!"

We were going to go to a double-feature movie .. but i opted to go back to the hotel room and not be tempted with POPCORN .. and besides .. i had to monitor my sugars .. and i figured a darkened movie theatre might not be the best place to attempt this feat! AND .. i had a HUGE instruction pump manual to read and understand before the following morning .. AND .. at 10 p.m. .. midnight .. 2 a.m. -- 4 a.m. -- 6 .. am and upon WAKING .. i had to get up and MONITOR my blood sugars (by the way .. EVERY time they had dropped to about 60 .. despite the fact that i took 'juice' between them .. we were not supposed to eat ANYTHING .. but to CALL AMY in the middle of the night.

after my 'theatrical' phone calls to her all day .. i didn't have the heart to! she told me the next morning that i definitely was SUPPOSED to .. so she could have me 'change' my 'basal rate' (the constant insulin drip) .. to see if that would keep me from dropping .. NOW .. i have to do that all over again TONIGHT!!

OHHHH YESSSSSSSS! she will be gittin' some phone calls if i drop below ONE HUNDRED!!!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  4:13:08 PM  Show Profile

'NUTHER CHAPTER!!

today's class was much better .. amy said i was much calmer today .. i told her i CHOSE to be calmer .. and listen more carefully! she said this was very typical of some of her patients!

we had to 'change' our pump site TWICE .. this has to be done every THREE days of my life .. forever and always unless a better 'mousetrap' is invited (or a CURE is found!) from my lips to god's ear!

amy lowered my BASAL rate (drip ... drip ... drip) and today SO FAR .. i've been pretty much 'on target'

say a little prayer for me that my NIGHT readings go as well too!

i told amy that after having type 2 diabetes for about ten years now and type ONE for about a year and a half (on the syringe pen) .. NOW .. i FINALLY truly FEEL LIKE i have DIABETES!!!

she said everything should get pretty 'routine' for us soon .. it's much like learning to use a computer or cell phone .. "I ADDED:" (except that you can KILL yourself on the pump .. but unless you are driving your car while on the phone (or computer!) and not paying attention .. those are not as 'sensitive' FEATS to accomplish as this pump is!

Well ya-ya's .. this is certainly an adventure to be had!

may you NEVER become a "DIE-----ah----m----a----di----a-be-e-e-e-t--iiiicccc!!!!"

xoxo, frannie

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2888 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2888 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  4:15:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh Frannie you poor baby girl you. Thank God for sweet Hank! I hope your numbers are OK soon! I have a dear dear friend that is in your shoes & would love to get the pump, but hasn't bit the bullet yet. Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  4:19:42 PM  Show Profile
hi nance .. i feel fine now .. jus' finished my dinner (had to finish eating before 7 .. i was a 'little late. then can't eat again until breakfast .. and call in those nightly readings (IF they were around 100 .. so we can 'adjust' my BASAL insulin .. ha! all ya'll are gonna' know as much about this disease as I do!

lisa .. thanks .. have her check her insurance .. mine paid every penny .. and of course, i'm hoping they are going to pick up the tab on the 'supplies' too .. which are MANY!!!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  4:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Frannie! I hope you are feeling better! Since you numbers were juggling around so much- do you think that might have had something to do with your breakdowns- oh and not to mention you had a lot of stress! I think you handled it much much better than I would have! I am so glad you will have this tool to help you stay healthy!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  5:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Hi Frannie,

So glad that you will be able to better monitor your blood sugars now. As bad as things seem with the "journey" you had to take to get the pump I am sure you will be really happy you have it once you have a chance to get used to all the stuff. Ive got family members with Type 2 diabetes. It is great that you are being proactive and doing what is needed!

Audrey
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  6:32:21 PM  Show Profile
oh alee darlin' .. you jus' gotta' understan' my 'humor' .. when tellin' a story!!

i've been known to uhhhhhhhhh ... 'EMBELLISH'*** (see note below)... from time to time!

.. and o.k. o.k. .. i honestly, only WHIMPERED ONCE!!!

i do think a 'few' tears flowed when sittin' in front of that sammie at Borders Cafe .. wantin' it but not wantin' to whack my numbers outta' line!

i did indeed get 'ANXIOUS' at the 'corn-fusion' of it all .. and 'flusterated' .. but i tend to 'calm down' pretty quickly too soon's i know i'm not gonna' keel over dead on the spot cuz' i pushed a wrong button!

i am so appreciating all the e-mails and postings encouraging me in this new 'adventure'.

o.k. here's the 'footnote' explanation of the word: EMBELLISH:

.. i downright LIED! (but didn't it make for a few giggles though!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  6:38:17 PM  Show Profile
i have this WONDERFUL pillow that a friend from Georgia sewed for me .. after visiting for a few days when i invited a doll teacher to come to our doll club to teach .. (i always had girls coming from all over the country (whom i had only met ON-LINE) to take these classes .. and they would ALL stay at our house .. and we'd stay up almost all night long .. telling story after story after story .. and chiles .. i'm tellin' you ... i could 'SPIN A YARN' .. and this new friend brought it to my attention that .. she KNEW when an 'embellishment' was about to be perpetrated by me .. because i would ALWAYS .. very excitedly, start the story with:

"GURLZ!!!! .... I HAVE A STORY TO TELL YOU .. AND I "SWEAR" IT'S TRUE!!!!"

she sTitched me a pillow with that 'saying' on it .. and i adore it and laugh every time i look at it!

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  05:58:02 AM  Show Profile
oh watta' night!!! had to do the 10 midnight 2 4 6 8 readings again. i dropped low twice and had to call (at 2 and 4 a.m.!!!) and get my basal numbers re-adjusted .. and 'treat' my lows!

i don't know how that poor chile' does it with us all calling her all night long! (she did 4 different classes on monday and tuesday!) AND she's newly pregnant. i sure hope she is getting paid a TON of money!!

it's chilly but sunny here in kaintuck this mornin' .. and i'm itchin' to get my hands on those rag chilluns and git to stitchin'. what cha'll doin' today?

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  07:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Frannie! LOL And I am just as gullible as can be! You could tell me the sky had gone purple and I would have to look up to check!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  10:12:26 AM  Show Profile
well, i might be believe that purple sky myself if i don't control my sugar LOWS ...with trepidation, i asked what happened to us eventually with tooo many sustained and years of HIGHS and LOWS .. she said too many highs and i would be jumpin' around on stumps with a seein-eye-dog .. tooo many LOWS .. and she would easily be able to convince my addled brain that the sky is indeed PURPLE!

o.k. .. those might be MY words .. she was a little more gentle about it.

you gotta' keep your sense of humor .. what is the alternative!! xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  11:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Frannie- All joking aside- My grandfather refused to control his blood sugar- ate whatever he felt like and did indeed have an amputation of his leg. Before he passed away they were talking about needing to take the other leg and possibly his arms as well. Please take care of yourself!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  12:55:41 PM  Show Profile
i have friends who have had major complications too. Type TWO diabetes (which can surely lead to Type ONE) is one of our country's largest growing health problems. And i truly believe from what i have read .. that most americans do NOT take care of their diabetes as they should. It is such a complicated disease and so 'individual' to each person.

Your poor grandaddy! So very sorry. You take care too .. even though it does not necessarily have to run in families .. there are also lots of families where it does run rampant. xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  2:04:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Frannie, I am just loving these posts. They sure make me giggle.
I got diagnosed with type 2 last year, but so far with the medication I take and diet/keeping busy, I keep it in check.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic back home from luh-ville! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page