Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Are people really falling for it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are people really falling for it? Next Topic
Page: of 2

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  7:06:07 PM  Show Profile
I keep seeing comercisls about how much money walmart has saved people. If you go to walmart.com there is some rediculous figure about all the money they have saved people since 2005. How do they come up with this figure? We were going to walmart all the time at least once if not more per week. Every month we were just barely making ends meet. 2 months ago our walmart started doing a remodel and it was a pain to go in there. We started going to the other grocery store instead. The last two months we have ended the month with an impressive surplus in the bank account. Nothing else has been different. Walmart is NOT saving us money. What about you?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  7:11:59 PM  Show Profile
I'm personally not a fan of their "green" commercials...considering almost everything is made overseas, it makes one go, "really?"...I haven't been in a long time, but I did stop going because I found that, in the end, it all averaged out. I could pay less for say, peanut butter at Walmart and pay more for the jam and then turn around and pay less for the jam at Kroger and more for the peanut butter. I shop (and save) where I'm comfortable and I know that their employment practices are ethical (another Walmart issue).

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  7:14:33 PM  Show Profile
I stopped shopping at WalMart a few years ago when I found out they paid millions to lobbyists to try to get money diverted from public to charter schools (a few of which they own...)

So if they are green or not, I don't care --- I probably shouldn't shop at other "big box" stores but so far I'm not boycotting them...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  7:54:11 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I was just thinking of Walmart today, with the realization that all that "savings" is because of cheap labor in other countries...and I'm sure THOSE workers are barely making ends meet, or a living for that matter. Why would I want to support that? PLUS, everytime a Walmart goes up, those unique little mom and pop and independent businesses go down the tube. Again, I don't know what's so great about them, or larger corporations in general.

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  9:22:22 PM  Show Profile
I haven't set foot in a Walmart in about a year and don't plan on doing it anytime soon.
Wish that there were more mom and pops around here.
When we have to shop for things like meats we buy now offline from blackwing.com
and some of our bulk dry goods we get through amazon.com
I do shop at Winn Dixie sometimes but prefer Publix.
Walmart doesn't get my money anymore.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  04:57:02 AM  Show Profile
It's a rare day that finds me in a WalMart. I really just don't like shopping there, barring all of the controversy that swirls about them.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  05:09:21 AM  Show Profile
I think the biggest downfall financially for people is not making a list of what you have to have before going to a place like Walmart. I do shop there occasionally when my kid needs dry erase markers for school or a to replace a worn out folder for school. Also, tissues and paper towels (which last us a while around here because we usually use cloth towels and handkerchiefs).

If I go in with a list of exactly what I need and only buy those things than I am fine. It is the same with Target, Kmart etc.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  05:10:34 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Zan--we have allowed Wal-Mart to put our "mom and pop" stores out of business by shopping there. I, too, have limited my visits to Wal-Mart. The "straw that broke the camel's back" was when they removed their fabric section during a remodel of the store. Since that time we have had 2 small fabric shops to open in our area. I try to buy handmade gifts from local craft shops--may be a little more expensive, but at least I know where it came from and who is benefiting from the sale. (Makes me feel better anyway!!!)

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  06:03:21 AM  Show Profile
wal-mart put a lot of the smaller stores out of business by the time i got here----camden, south carolina---. i really don't like going to wal-mart, but there is hardly any choice. the produce at this store is horrible.....and it seems like most of the registers are closed most of the time, except for the self check out which takes five times as long because if you put your item in the bag or don't, fast enough, it stops everything and says there is a problem. anyway, i now drive about 27 miles (one way!) to go to a regular grocery store once or twice a week. (but i guess that isn't great either since it's using too much gas?????) what is a person to do??
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  07:13:02 AM  Show Profile
It really gets me that no matter where you shop, trying to find something made in America is just about impossible.This drives my husband crazy. He purposely tries to find things made in America.It's almost impossible. Wal-Mart is bad enough, but it isn't just them.Every store you enter is the same thing. Even our "American" cars, do you have any idea how many parts are outsourced to foriegn countries. And, how many American jobs are lost because of it? Even the simplest of products are imported all the time. Like canned mushrooms, for Pete's sake America can't even grow and can their own mushrooms? It has infilterated every single facet of our lives. Then everyone is so stunned that the economy is in the toilet. You can't buy things if you don't have job. I don't care how cheap it is. This has been coming for so many years. Sorry, I got on my soap box, but this gets to me so badly.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  07:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I live in a small town and when Wal-Mart came we all thought that it was the cat's meow...but since the new has wore off, it just isn't what I thought it was. They claim one-stop shopping, but it is like pulling teeth to get all of the departments to work together. It is also such a hassle getting the kids to stay focused long enough to get everything that we need. Just more stress than I need.

Dirt under my nails and weeds in my hair...don't tell me I can't dress up with flair!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  07:36:01 AM  Show Profile
I agree with all the above mentioned reasons, and aside from the fact that they put mom and pop businesses out (as does Target, Kohls, Kroger and other big box grocery and retailers), my major issue with Walmart is employment practices. At one point, an attorney I knew had 4 different actions going against the corporation and local management (within the state of Kentucky) for a variety of terrible infractions. Denying employees lunches and breaks, making them work overtime without pay--lots of overtime, and then, when the employee spoke up, indicating that they would lose their jobs if they DIDN'T do these things--usually the abuse took place in small towns, like Samantha mentioned, where there are few jobs. After delving into the cases, local management took their direct orders from a corporate officer, and weren't acting on their own. I think the Walmart we know now is a far cry from prior to Mr. Walton's death.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  08:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I loved Walmart when they first came into CT. We didn't shop at the Mall (too expensive) and we didn't travel far to shop. We had a little store, similiar to Walmart, called Ames but the company went under on its own. To be able to afford everything in one stop shopping was awesome to my Mom and I could take $50 and buy a whole wardrobe.

I think the quality is definitely lacking now. They seems to only carry their brand now and the stores layout just confuses the heck out of me.

The Walmart here does carry local produce. I am still learning the local stores and I agree, we need to support them but I can understand families who have no other outlet.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Sagewood
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

South Carolina
106 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  10:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Sagewood a Yahoo! Message
I agree Walmart is not saving us money. Their trick? Put it all in one place, and you'll spend the money cuz it's easy to get. Grocery stores, sell groceries..pharmacies sell 'pharmacy items'..when you go in these stores, you don't spend near as much money, because you go in for specific items..you buy them, and you're out the door. With walmart ..they carry it all, so you peruse the stores, pick up this, pick up that..I mean..gee..when you can buy groceries and furniture in the same place..now that's one stop shopping right?? SURE it is..and it goads you into buying things you would not normaly buy on a 'regular' shopping trip. No..walmart does not save you money..Walmart has created as sytem to urge, coerce and ply you to spend money.

I also agree with another poster, ...everyone sells items not made in america. Everyone. Did you realize there are 'no' musical components made in america today? Musical components meaning..stereo's...or the equipment that goes with a 'entertainment' system. And..too true about cars..Ohh Chevy..makes SOME of the chevy parts in America..but the rest?..made elsewhere from Canada to China. It may be PUT TOGETHER here..but it's not made here..goes for Ford too..goes for all of them.

I live in a very small town myself..can count the redlights in our town on one hand. But we are off a major interstate..so we have a 'superwalmart' now. Been here a few years. It put a lot of people out of business. Now, Hubby and I have very few other options, and we truly hate the walmart.
Hubby says.."You have to plan all day just to shop. The place is WAY WAY too big... By the time you are finished shopping you're either ready to kill each other..or so exhausted you can't plan on anything else the rest of the day!" I agree with him.

We have discovered that local farmers put on a farmers market here on Thursday and again on Saturdays. We now go. Between that and the big flea market that is about 30 minutes from us (sat and sun only) we now get all our veggies from either our own garden(which is NOT small), the farmers market or the flea market (big veggie vendor down there..the stuff is great and cheaper!!)
As for 'other stuff'..like socks, underwear, towels, paper products, yeah..we get some of them at walmart..we get some of them from other discount stores. We never shop more then once every two weeks. And we never go to walmart more the once a month. Big mistake to go to walmart more then once every three weeks..you'll be broke at the end of the month.
This is how we've dealt with it. It's hard, it really is..there aren't too many other choices of stores for us here, they closed most everything else.

Sage,
The Hedgewife
Are you a Hedgewife?
http://hedgewife.blogspot.com/
Hiding in the broom closet.
http://sagewoodfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  11:51:25 AM  Show Profile
Ok - ya'll can slap me, but I just got back from the place. (hiding) Actually, I use to work there in mgmt a while ago and could tell you all kinds of stories, but probably the funniest is the stuff that folks use to take back. One thing though that I do agree with that Walmart has done is that every worker wears the same color shirt/pants, whereas before it was anything goes...whether it was a ratty ole shirt or whatever, just as long as you wore the infamous vest that always got in your way of trying to do anything. I never buy dairy or produce there simply for the fact that I know how long it can sit out in a pallet before being placed into the cooler. You would be surprised.

I do my grocery shopping mainly at Kroger because they carry a LOT of Kentucky Proud (what we call our Ky farmraised products) and I know some of the farmers that sell their produce through them. You know that you are supporting that local family.

However, Walmart is cheaper on several things that are commonly used for us, but sometimes Dollar General and other stores are cheaper than Walmart. It's give and take. Why did I go there today? Well, I had to run to several different type of businesses and they are all centrally located in one area. When gas is $3.59, you learn to cut out. We have Target & Meijer over in Lexington, but they are both so much higher, even with coupons, unless something is on clearance. However, we go to Walmart maybe once a month if even that. Too much of a hassle to leave our small town to head to one of the bigger cities for Walmart. We have Kmart but it is horrible on high prices and I've been in there 2 times in 2 years...however the one in my ole hometown has lower prices.

I do have to giggle when I hear the commercials from Walmart because they are all of a sudden on this "green" kick to be the "cool kid in the neighborhood" so to speak.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  12:08:35 PM  Show Profile
mmm... at our walmart they still wear whatever they want!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine78
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Cynthia
Western Nebraska
106 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  2:50:47 PM  Show Profile
I rarely go to Wal-mart anymore since we moved to an area where there aren't any. The nearest one is 65 miles away. In the beginning I hated it because necessities are more expensive at the local store, but we save money in the long run. Those impulse buys in Wal-mart really add up. Toby had to go the other day for engine oil and Emma and I rode along. I fugured she needed formula, etc, etc and I stuck to my list which helped. At the checkout I pulled out my nylon bags, when we got the total I asked if that included the "use your own bag discount" and she just gave me a blank stare. I told her that our local store gives a nickel back per bag. I figured Wal-mart didn't do that, but it never hurts to ask. Nope, not Wal-mart. Boy, they're really into being "green" like their commercials want you to believe. Honestly, it wouldn't bother me if I never went into one again.

Cynthia
www.vintageprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  4:11:11 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
What I love is Walmart is now trying to sell re-usuable bags at like $9 a bag. You would think they would give them away for like a month or something and give you a discount for using them. The thing I noticed last time I was there was they put one thing in a bag. Someone really needs to teach them how to bag.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  5:58:26 PM  Show Profile
I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart due to what they have done to jobs in this country. I went with a friend to one once & noticed that the so called "savings" was cheaper prices but for items that were sold in smaller sizes then what other stores sell. If you do the math, you'll see you get a lot more for a slightly higher price elsewhere. Wal-Mart will never see my $!

dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  6:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I haven't shopped at WalMArt in 8 months. I can't stand that store and I'd rather go to Big Lots, Ollies, or Kmart than deal with them.

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"A friend is someone who does things that count, but never stops to count them"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  6:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Our WM gave out the reusable bags on Earth day...and it was ironic that even though they were giving them, half of the people they were handing them to wouldn't take them. So, I asked if I could have an extra 2 bags, and the lady told me no, that they were told 1 per customer. So, I sent my hubby and my brother in after them. Sadly, I asked a friend if they had any left, she said that they had 2 boxes of 500, just sitting in the back. I love the 3 I have...they are light weight and sturdy! I just couldn't believe that being the "Green" store that they are they were being soooo stingy!

Dirt under my nails and weeds in my hair...don't tell me I can't dress up with flair!
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  6:58:31 PM  Show Profile
I have been a long time boycotter of Mal-wart. I find their overall practices completely abhorrent and have picketed the construction sites of a few of them. I have told my family for years and years that they were not in fact saving money and it is only recently that my mother said to me "I should have been listening to you all along..." I don't make this stuff up, I told her. I htink more and more people are starting to understand the value of local economy and starting to support these big box stores less and less. there is a change collectively sweeping the masses.....and I like the sound of it!

[size=1]
~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  03:35:29 AM  Show Profile
I had tried boycotting for a while but ended up almost breaking the bank shopping at another higher end grocer.

In small town it's the "gotcha" factor.

If I had just as quick access to another Kroger I'd be going there in a heartbeat. Far as I know, this company is still locally based in Cincinnati. There's one in Cary, NC but I can only get there when I shop once a month w/ my mom.
Go to Top of Page

createmyworld
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Beth
Akron PA
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  06:29:39 AM  Show Profile
You have hit on a topic which I am passionate about and although lately I lack the time to respond here as often as I'd like, I felt the need to put in my "two cents worth" on this topic regardless of my schedule. I too have boycotted Wal-mart and I am proud to say that I have not spent one cent in a Wal-mart for about 7 years now. I always try to buy from locally owned businesses and I always look for items which have the made in the USA tag on them if there are a variety of choices of the product which I am seeking (and yes, there are still a few scant items which one can find that are made in the USA). Also, I strongly limit (at all costs, unless I can't find it anywhere else) shopping at other"big box" stores such as Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, etc. not only because I found out that I wasn't saving any more, but also because the big box stores destroy open space with new and massive construction (many times taking over farmland), they destroy free competition and locally owned business by promoting a mindless consumer culture.
Wal-mart is a huge reason why many of American companies felt forced to move their manufacturing to other countries (mainly China) where the cost to produce is cheap, leaving our factory workers without jobs. Wal-mart is also the cause of many American manufacturers who went out of business trying to meet Wal-mart's price demands. PBS produced a documentary specifically targeting how Wal-mart is hurting America which is well worth the viewing. It was a Frontline documentary. If you have a cable or DSL hook-up, you can watch it on your computer... if you're like me and still on dial up, you can maybe do a search for a copy of it on vhs or dvd. The link to watch it is as follows:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/view/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  06:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I just had a conversation with a local quick stop owner. I was asking about the prices. I compared the sunblock my son uses- $2.99 at Walmart to $4.50 at his store. What he told me makes sense. He first of all can't buy in the same capacity as the big stores- they order 1,000 for their store while he only order 50- makes his cost higher. He gets deliveries of things like this once a week where Wally world gets it daily- multiple times in fact. He can barely employ the 10 people he has to keep the store running at minimum while how many employees do you see standing around in Wally world doing nothing???

If anything, it makes you think....

Having said that, I am lucky to live in a touristy town where there are a lot of antique dealers, hand made items, local business. I do shop at Wally world as a last resort and it is close by. The last time I was in there for some towels that I do like from them. What constantly amazes me is the garbage people load their carts up with to buy.
Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  06:41:07 AM  Show Profile
I get emails from a group called WakeupWalmart, that I signed up for last year at the Boone County Fair. At that time, Walmart had just finished construction on a super Walmart on Houston Road (where there is also a Target, Kohls, Dicks, Lowes, Home Depot, every furniture store imaginable and every chain restaurant you can think of). Then, Walmart decided, along with the City of Florence, that they were going to put in a smaller Walmart near the top of my mother's street, about 1.5 miles from the newest one on Houston Road--because they didn't have enough storage space and that store was already being "shopped" to the point they couldn't restock quickly enough. The City's take was that Florence needed the "jobs" that this new store would provide, but the community fought back--we all attended city meetings crowded out in the hallway so they had to choose a bigger venue, demanded traffic studies that they weren't going to do because they thought everyone would simply say, "Oh yay! Another Walmart!" (you can't get around this town now in less than an hour), and cited countless employment misconduct practices Walmart had been convicted of. Personally, I was told by a Florence City Councilman that the Walmart was going to be built "no matter what" the community wanted, plain and simple, and that we should just stop worrying about it and deal. They received SUCH backlash, that the County P & Z smacked the development plan down before it even got to the city level....so it didn't get built, but I understand Walmart is coming back with a new plan next year for the same spot.

I simply couldn't believe that this city would need not one, but 2 Walmart stores within a 1.5 mile of each other--that sell EXACTLY the same crap, and treat their employees EXACTLY the same crappy way. Seeing those folks at those meetings proves that you can make a difference in numbers.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are people really falling for it? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page