Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Oprah the Cocker has False Pregnancy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Oprah the Cocker has False Pregnancy Next Topic  

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  10:28:03 PM  Show Profile
Well the fun never ends in the Enchanted Wood. Along with Bagel and his cancer (my poor baby boy) I had a scare with my Oprah when she was acting clingy and weird. She had milk and I knew that she had not been bred at least not to my knowledge. We spent the night in the emergency clinic and finally had xrays taken. She has a false pregnancy - Has anyone had that happen. She is in whelping box, I am not ready to move her back to her own kennel cage for the nights and I want to keep a close eye on her. She really scared me. I love them all so much. She is enjoying getting some special food to eat and is slowly coming back to normal but I have read this can take some time. Yikes guys, send me some protective blue and white light, I need it bad.

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  06:04:29 AM  Show Profile
Gee, I have heard of dogs having false pregnancies but we've always had male dogs, so I don't know what to expect. Do you need to watch her for emotional distress when she relaizes she doesn't have any pups? Didn't you use stuffed puppies to comfort one of your other dogs who lost her litter last year? Poor Oprah, hope she (and you) will be okay soon.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  08:53:33 AM  Show Profile
Our Doberman had several false pregnancies she would carry her ball around and whimper make "nests" and generally act weird. That ball was mothered something fierce let me tell ya. She had milk each time too. Funny thing was that when we did breed her she was the worlds worst mom. Don't worry Oprah will be fine.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  6:13:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy, when I was a tech, a lab came in with this same problem. Like Kathy said, she generally took awhile, but then the milk dried up and she started acting like her usual self. Haha, I guess the problem with the animals is that there really is NOONE to tell them it isn't so...and I always thought it was an interesting study in how the mind and hormones are stronger than anything in leading them to believe something is so true that their bodies do the unexplained.

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Onionhead
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Melissa
Oklahoma
22 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  3:18:33 PM  Show Profile
My Siberian Husky did not right a while after all her puppies were given away. She was very attached to those giggle balls that made giggle noises and would flip out when you wanted to play fetch with her....because you were throwing her baby....let me tell ya it was weird. We took her in as well and she had cancer developing in her uterus, so they had to take everything out....and she's been back to normal ever since! Has she been spayed? Might be your only option if she doesn't snap out of it and some underlying problem inside could be the culprit....hopefully they could see something like that on the X-ray, but maybe not.......deffinatley if it doesn't get better, I would take her back to the vet ofcourse....kinda like them broody chickens, just frustrates the daylights out of ya LOL!
Go to Top of Page

Onionhead
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Melissa
Oklahoma
22 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  3:19:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Onionhead

My Siberian Husky did thatt right a while after all her puppies were given away. She was very attached to those giggle balls that made giggle noises and would flip out when you wanted to play fetch with her....because you were throwing her baby....let me tell ya it was weird. We took her in as well and she had cancer developing in her uterus, so they had to take everything out....and she's been back to normal ever since! Has she been spayed? Might be your only option if she doesn't snap out of it and some underlying problem inside could be the culprit....hopefully they could see something like that on the X-ray, but maybe not.......deffinatley if it doesn't get better, I would take her back to the vet ofcourse....kinda like them broody chickens, just frustrates the daylights out of ya LOL!

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Oprah the Cocker has False Pregnancy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page