Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 No More Dogs! - The Big Set-up -Pic Update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic No More Dogs! - The Big Set-up -Pic Update Next Topic  

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  12:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I swear I meant it when I said it! Honestly, I was set up and framed like a painting!!!
A little background might be helpful here: To start off, I'm allergic to practically everything, but especially dogs and cats. We rented for a long time but finally were able to buy a new house several years back. Since we finally had our own yard, I agreed that we could finally get a dog, if everyone helped take care of it. That would be Buddy, a Chesapeake lab, from the pound. Well, the "everyone" turned out to be ME. Dog hair is my evil enemy!
Not only that, but we are finally able to renovate and build out the first floor (split foyer house) and have the rest of the house painted. Getting estimates as we speak, so we will be starting very soon, and the house will be in disarray for a good bit. That being said, this is what happened...

The girls and hubby were walking Buddy around the block. One of our neighbors finally sold thier house and they stopped by to chat with her. Oh yes, they found a wonderful condo, its huge, its got a pool, etc, etc. Unfortunately, they won't be able to take Britches, of course, so they'll be taking her to the animal shelter next weekend.

Y'all can see where this is going!

They came home. I said "Nope". All three of them pestered the heck out of me all evening. Finally, I said I would have to think about it and meet the dog the next day, plus I had other questions. The next day ended up getting a bit hectic for me with a project, so they so thoughtfully volunteered to go over and ask the questions for me. I can hear them coming up the front steps, and funnily enough I hear "extra" footsteps. This is what they say...
"Don't worry, Mom, this is only a trial run. If you still say no, we'll take her back" Okey, dokey!

Now this is the punch line... She's a Bassett Hound! Now you tell me

Thought I'd add her picture. Like anyone could say no to this face!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Edited by - chicken necker on Apr 21 2008 7:12:19 PM

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  12:47:17 PM  Show Profile
I say, you're one good lady! I'm always amazed at how many states and housing developments have outlawed dogs and cats...ok, I'm being very snide, here, but I am giving you all the credit in the world for taking that little thing in--and keeping Buddy with all your allergies. Aside from making you sneeze, he's gotta lower your blood pressure a little, right? :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  12:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Sherry - it's so funny to read your post and see how they were collectively able to break you down: you started with a 'nope' and, as the evening wore on, you wore down to a 'think about it - meet the dog'...you know they had you there, right??? You're a very cool and wonderful lady - and there's a special place in heaven for all us 'accidental - please mom - he's small and won't eat much - I'll take care of him' dog moms! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  1:07:27 PM  Show Profile
Yup I'd be a sucker to a basset hound too! Love those droopy eyes and long ears!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  8:21:38 PM  Show Profile
Ooooooohh! I just wanna kiss that face! I know she's got a good home, but poor thing. To think that they would take her to a shelter! I couldn't turn her down either!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  8:26:50 PM  Show Profile
Awww. There are two Bassetts on the corner that "greet" us when we (me and my two furry kids) go out for the paper or mail. Neat dogs. I do hope it works out for you
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  8:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Aww! What a sweet face. I like basset hounds- but after having one live down the block from us that would always invade her territory- Sky isn't particularly fond of them. She is the first dog that I have ever personally known to take a dislike to a breed and not to just an individual dog.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  06:12:19 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, thanks for posting this uplifting story! Looks like you have a new entertainment team ---keep us posted on the "Buddy and Britches Show" won't you? You are a sweet mom; indeed! Lucky Britches, I sure hope she does give you some happiness, and no allergy attacks!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  06:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Only the hardest of hearts could resist that face. She made me say 'What a good girl' to my computer screen! :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  08:07:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh my did you get suckered into THAT one!!! But, I'm not one to talk. I live on a farm with 5 dogs, (3 are chihuahua's, so I guess we can count them as ONE dog!) 2 cats, 4 horses, 14 dwarf dairy goats, 19 sheep (Jacobs and Babydolls), chickens, a duck etc... etc... Oh, and I forgot the QUEEN of the barnyard-- my pot bellied pig, Opal! Not to mention the husband and 3 teenage boys! As you can see, I'm quite the animal lover. (the husband and boys are proof of THAT! ha! ha!) If it has feathers, fur and four legs--I'll take it! It always breaks my heart to hear people say they are taking their "beloved" pet to the pound. Bless you for taking in that creature. Looking at that picture though, only a very hard hearted person could have resisted that face! God bless, and enjoy your new friend!! -- Shepherd Girl--
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  11:30:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Awww, she's so cute Sherry! Can't wait to see her when we have a meeting down your way!! I agree, who couldn't resist those droopy eyes??

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"A friend is someone who does things that count, but never stops to count them"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  5:20:57 PM  Show Profile
Good for you! It's nice to hear a happy ending story. And what a face she has!!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic No More Dogs! - The Big Set-up -Pic Update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page