Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Housework- All one day? All things each day?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Housework- All one day? All things each day? Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  3:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How do you do your housework? I know everyone finds their own rhythm and it often depends on what the family is doing- but in a perfect day/week- how does it get done at your place?

Do you strive to get everything done in one day? And if so is you place a big place or a little place?

Do you have a rotation set per each day? Or do you just do things as they come and as you feel like it?

We can be pretty lackadaisical around our house so I am feeling the need to get on a better routine. My mom keeps her house very tidy and I didn't realize ours was so bad until our last visit home when Doug said "I'm jealous of how clean your parent's house is all the time."

I make sure we don't live in filth- but often times toys get scattered and our counter tops get cluttered. Then I find my self cleaning like a mad woman and wearing myself out for a few days and before I know it- the clutter monster has come back.

I know I need to get rid of things that aren't useful and are cluttering the house- I am such a pack rat. I have such a hard time getting rid of things because I never feel like things have outlived their usefulness until they are beyond repair and reuse even to the most creative imaginings.

What I would really like to do is get the house into ship shape, then have a quick clean up mid afternoon during Nora's nap and a quick clean up in the evening plus a daily list of chores. So say Monday is Laundry, Tuesday is baking etc.

So let me know your routine for inspiration please! I need it! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  4:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I do almost everything in about 2 days- maybe about 2 hours a day. Laundry doesn't count with me because that is never ending. Now, having said that, I don't have a lot of stuff in my house and I keep things simple. I don't have collections and I was never into knick knacks. I try to pick up as I go and clean up small messes.

De-cluttering and organizing to fit your lifestyle is my best tip. Don't try to make your home look like someone else's. I am far from the typical mom or the typical family. We like to be outdoors, travel, go out to try new foods, explore, so I don't need a showcase house. We have our beds for rest, clothing to be dressed, bathroom to get clean...you get the idea. Keeping things simple help. I pack a bag with diapers, wipes, extra clothes, water, food bars, camera, sun block, huge towel and some bug spray/bite ointment. This is my grab and go so I am not looking for the "bag" when we get the "let's go out" bug. I don't carry a purse. Instead, I bought a nice simple small bag from Title Nine Sports- I carry a small wallet, chapstick, keys, phone, tampons, coupons. Find what fits your life and do that.

I also don't do anything more than laundry on the weekends. I make sure food shopping, cleaning, paying bills, etc....are all done during the week. I don't have a lot of time with my family during the week, so weekends are cherished.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  4:29:20 PM  Show Profile
When my girls were small, Monday was cleaning day. I'd start in the bedrooms and work towards the kitchen. Beds were stripped, everything was picked up and all was dusted and vacuumed, etc. I didn't stop until the house was clean. And then that was it. Other than the odd load of laundry and keeping the bathroom and kitchen tidy, I did no major cleaning until the next Monday. This one day a week good cleaning made life much less stressful and I refused to be a slave to my house which had become so easy with three little ones.
I agree with Heather in that de-cluttering and organizing makes it all much easier too. Everything has it's place and you just have to get in the habit of putting it back when you're finished with it and so does everyone else! I might have a little OCD in that department, but I refuse to be the maid service!!
Di
Go to Top of Page

livelife
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Penny
Michigan
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  5:23:44 PM  Show Profile
At 47 that word holds a different weight than when I first married. It really has become a constant companion "old reliable". My dishes are old friends, bed sheets have become cleaning rags, the carpets and rugs are now in the garden under bark. Taking care of this old place and all "stuff" has fallen into a routine, I embrace it all now. When the boys were here is was the whole "shoveling snow while snowing"
and sometimes it got a little deep! Now I'm grateful for the chores I wake to every day. A 2 hour daily routine to keep the "minimum maintenence" works well and the once a week for the floors, frig, ect. keeps things in motion. Funny thing is... hanging clothes on the line has become a real treat! Keep up the good work
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Housework- All one day? All things each day? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page