Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 What is your favorite domestic Goddess chore?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What is your favorite domestic Goddess chore? Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  6:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have decided to give myself the title of "Domestic Goddess". I am a stay at home mom, and I have decided to honor that role in my family. Perhaps I will make myself and apron with the words "Domestic Goddess" embroidered on it!

Anyway- I have to say my favorite chore has got to be vacuuming. Because that means all the toys and mess is cleaned up, the dusting is done, and the house has a lovely fresh clean feel to it! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  6:47:41 PM  Show Profile
I enjoy doing laundry...separating the loads, picking which scent of homemade laundry soap I'll use and then folding it all after it's dried. I also like to do the ironing, very relaxing!

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  7:18:12 PM  Show Profile
I love to scrub things...finding some dirty spot and making it all clean and shiny. I also like to vacuum and watch all of the dust bunnies disappear =)

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  7:24:27 PM  Show Profile
Ironing and vacuuming are my favorites :) I think it's because they are the finishing touches to a clean house/clean clothes :)

(dishes are my least)

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  8:14:23 PM  Show Profile
I would have to say laundry. Although I prefer to fold than put away. I also like to load the dishwasher, but hate to put the dishes away - I made that DD's job.:)
Go to Top of Page

farminmama
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  01:39:59 AM  Show Profile
Yep...me too...I like to vacuum. That's the completion.

I like to clean up after big meals...like Thanksgiving, Christmas, just having guests over. That is the best. I do most of those dishes by hand. Everyone has gone home, the house is quiet, life is full and content. It doesn't get any better than cleaning up after a big meal (I could really do without the days cooking ahead of that though)! :-)

Jen
sweetheart to Harley
mama to 3 beautiful angels...^i^ ^i^ ^i^
farmgirl Sister #151
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  06:15:07 AM  Show Profile
I like doing dishes by hand. I could wash nearly every dish in the house by the time it takes to run a dishwasher cycle!

I like how clean it makes me feel. Plus, I have a great view from my kitchen windows!

My new blog! http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  09:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Mine would be cooking. I practically live in my kitchen!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  09:49:23 AM  Show Profile
I like dusting the best. Or mending, if you count mending as a household chore. My favorite thing is to make something useful again. It fills a hole in my soul.
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  09:54:44 AM  Show Profile
I guess sweeping with a broom, it's kind of a calming thing to do for me. I also enjoy doing the laundry, especially after it's done and up.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  10:28:33 AM  Show Profile
Cooking, vacuuming and ironing. No particular order. I like to dust, but with 4 dogs, I'm dusting a bit too much to "love" it anymore!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  12:46:23 PM  Show Profile
I'd have to say either 'tidying' - just putting everything back into it's place nice and neat, or baking (which really isn't a chore!) Being able to spend a whole day kneading and waiting for things to rise, then the smell that comes from the oven.. mmmm.. bliss.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2008 :  2:46:04 PM  Show Profile
I am like Meg and like to tidy up things. Otherwise, I HATE housekeeping. I wish I had a magic wand, or could twinkle my nose like Samantha on Bewitched!

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  11:06:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Sherry - cooking. Other than that - would love to have a maid!!!

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  12:36:39 PM  Show Profile
Hanging the clothes out to dry in the sun, and then going and bringing them in, they always smell so good.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  09:17:46 AM  Show Profile
Alee~ I love the whole "Domestic Goddess" title. ;) I joke around with my boyfriend and tell him that my apron is my domestic goddess cape (I think I may have actually got that idea from a poem MJ ran in one of her magazines a year or two back).

My favorite task would probably be cooking or ironing. My least favorite is dishes...yuck!

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  12:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
My Favorite chores would be Planning meals and Cooking them. All the other chores I dread. Alway have and always will. I used to have an excuse when my house was untidy because of my 5 children but now that it is only the cat and my DH I have to keep it clean.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

gardencottage
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Kelley
Oxnard Ca
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  05:40:45 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm...there isn't much that I don't like!
But I guess that I would say laundry and tidying...

It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.
~Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  05:55:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kelley, how can I entice you to come live with us? Just kidding :D Laundry just isn't my favorite because I always feel like I am running behind. If it is just one load- it's no big deal. Guess what I am doing today! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Edited by - Alee on Apr 15 2008 05:56:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  08:30:49 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I love the domestic goddess title. Mine is vacuuming too. It is so rewarding to see the difference.

But I hate moping. I worked at Subway sandwiches through high school and had to mop every night and just don't like it so much. And laundry is never ending, huh? Recently I decided the problem was that we think we need to wash our clothes after every time we wear them, who knows if they are really dirty or not. So, I this weekend I went to grab a pair of pants from the drawer and found some leftover meal on them, grabbed a second pair and the same or similar remains on the leg. So, the third pair are finally clean. Guess that technique doesn't really work unless I check to make sure they still appear clean.

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  11:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Meg! That is too funny! I have been working really hard to hang up my clothes as I take them off if they still aren't dirty. I have worn a skirt 3 times now and miraculously haven't had any Nora induced messes smeared on it yet! Woo Hoo!

Actually the biggest laundry around here is #1- Husband #2 Diapers #3 Cleaning rags.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  11:49:15 AM  Show Profile
I too love to hang clothes on the line to dry and bring them in. They smell so good.

I also have gotten into the habit lately of wearing my clothes several times before washing them, as long as they aren't dirty. I'm trying to get my kids into the habit, especially jeans.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

livelife
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Penny
Michigan
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  5:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Hanging clothes on the line 2 hours before sunset, at that angle the world is all aglow. Then I like to take them down in the morning before the chickens are fed.

In His presence
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2008 :  6:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Penny-

I love that image. Right before dusk is one of my favorite times as well. I love the quality of the light- rich and golden without being scorching- especially in our northern summers which can get so hot! I bet the clothes smell amazing after their night outside- but do you find they are a bit damp from dew?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

livelife
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Penny
Michigan
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  05:08:39 AM  Show Profile
Alee- Well, my "before the chickens are fed" is actually around 10am, & ya it makes for a great ironing session with the clothes damp... pre sprinkled! (Would like to find one of those little aluminum screw tops that fit on a pop bottle to sprinkle clothes with...)

In His presence
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  08:07:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Penny- how about making your own sprinkler by poking holes in the plastic bottle cap?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What is your favorite domestic Goddess chore? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page