Gerta
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Nancy
Dawson Creek B.C
Canada
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  7:42:30 PM  Show Profile
I would like to know what everyone else does to get rid of slugs. I am over run with them they eat and eat everything. help.

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  8:29:24 PM  Show Profile
I tried a remedy recommended by a friend around my strawberries this year and it worked...dried horsetail. I just pulled it and let it dry on trays in the greenhouse, then mulched around the strawberries.

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  8:37:53 PM  Show Profile
I use crushed egg shells. the slugs do not like to cross over them. So far it has worked and my slugs are huge. Hope it works for you...
Go to Top of Page

crazymoose
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Caryn
Auburn WA
38 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  09:41:17 AM  Show Profile
Ducks will eat slugs. Slugs do not like to cross over sharp objects. I have heard marigolds are supposed to keep slugs away.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)
Go to Top of Page

amystew
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Amy
Eureka CA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  10:08:10 AM  Show Profile
I have a friend who makes a little morning ritual of hand-picking them. She takes the plastic bag the newspaper is wrapped in and wanders through the garden, checking on everything and picking up snails and slugs as well. They all go in the plastic bag (you can sort of pick the slimy slugs up with the bag) and then she ties a knot in the bag and dumps it in the trash on her way back in.

I use a pet-safe snail bait called Sluggo. It's iron phosphate coated in cornstach. I was also pleased to see that my youngest hen, Bess, has developed a real taste for snails & slugs and will find one that's bigger than her head and run around the garden, squawking loudly to show off her treasure, before murdering it with her little beak! Gross, but at least she's earning her keep! (not to mention the eggs that she'll eventually get around to laying.)

I don't use the Sluggo in the area where the hens forage. Even though it's pet-safe, chickens love to peck at little shiny objects, and I was afraid they would go around hunting out the little pellets and ingest too many of them...not to mention the fact that it would be a waste of bait!

Gardener, chicken lover, worm wrangler

http://humboldthens.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  10:25:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
On a side note, and just because I find it amusing, my mini poodle is also an excellent slug and snail deterrant. He eats them like candy when they're out!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  11:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Sluggo and Diatomaceuos Earth are the bestproducts to erradicate slugs!
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  1:57:17 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Beer in a saucer. If they gotta go, they may as well go happy.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  7:19:42 PM  Show Profile
Marigolds !!!! ROFL
They eat my marigolds so fast you wouldnt know I had any.
shirley
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  4:55:25 PM  Show Profile
Marigolds get credited with deterring a lot of stuff that they just don't. Not bunnies, not slugs, not anything. The beer in a saucer works great. I put them around the plants that the slugs prefer (my hostas mostly) and it seems to do the trick. I love the image of the young hen running around with a slug in her mouth.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Slugs how to get rid of them Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page