Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Any ideas for natural weed killer???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Any ideas for natural weed killer??? Next Topic  

littlehippiechick
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Tina
Bloomsbury
Canada
19 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  09:25:51 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone!

I was reading an article in a magazine a while ago about a natural weed killer. Now I can't find the article and have no idea where I did read it. All I know is that it had garlic in the mix. Has anyone ever heard of this, tried it, and know exactly what is in it? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for weed killer? Our garden was neglected for years. When we moved in, I tried my best to keep up with the weeds using good old fasioned elbow grease, but when I finished one row and looked behind me, 20 more weeds popped up. We tried the mulch, but that ended up being a disaster because the purple loose strife loved those conditions and took over the garden. This year we didn't even put a garden in because we've been working the soil and trying to get it ready for next year.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks
Tina

No man is ever worth crying over, and the one that is...won't make you cry!!!

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  3:28:13 PM  Show Profile
If you spray the weeds with full strength white vinegar, it will do them in.
In my area White vinegar can be bought at Save a lot for a dollar a gallon.

Plus you can save the gallon plastic jugs to put over seedlings or use as "trot line" buoys as my hubby likes to do.

I use white vinegar for everything........They probably call me the vinegar gal at save a lot. I usually by 5 jugs at a time!!
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  3:34:15 PM  Show Profile
hi Tina, have no idea what that natural weed killer might be. I can totally empathize with you regarding your weed situation. If this is any help at all let me offer this little story. In our 'welcoming garden', the weeds WERE in control, but after 6 years of amending the soil, planting the plants that seems to really thrive there, I am finally seeing a complete turn around. I now have control over the weeds and weeding that garden is actually a pleasure because the soil is so nice and the weeds so weak and spindley. I know 6 years is an awful long time, but I am convinced that it is 'time' that is the real winner here.. we plug along..weeding as we go and eventually we win! I'll also mention that Mary Jane has a listing in her book about a new kind of gardening cloth/cover that she swears by made here in Spokane, Wa. Check that out too!! good luck!
Julia

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

littlehippiechick
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Tina
Bloomsbury
Canada
19 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  4:40:18 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips gals! If I ever do find that recipe I will be sure to share it! For now, I will try the vinegar, and let time take it's course too!

Thanks Again!
Tina

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  7:24:08 PM  Show Profile
I've heard of the vinegar too. I've heard that you may have to do a couple applications but it will kill the weeds and supposedly keep them away longer than say Roundup.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  10:19:11 PM  Show Profile
boiling water poured into their roots has been said to work on some weeds.. I've had mixed results but it's worth a try...

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  11:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
My Mom (who is 69) tried some recipe given by a friend that included boiling water mixed with vinegar and vodka...said it didn't work too well, but after she drank enough of the vodka she just didn't see those darn weeds anymore!This is a TRUE story.
Go to Top of Page

littlehippiechick
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Tina
Bloomsbury
Canada
19 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  08:32:15 AM  Show Profile
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHHA! Now that sounds like a plan!!!

Husband: What are you doing?
Me: Oh sI'M jussssst weeeeeding...

I could think of a few people who would help me weed my garden then!

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  01:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Now you made ME pee my pants.......!
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  03:44:23 AM  Show Profile
Too funny!!!! LOL Ü

I once heard from a friend that using salted boiling water will kill the weeds off. Hubby tried it and yes it does work though we're not yet sure for all weeds or just certain varieties die off???

Good luck! Ü

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  07:15:14 AM  Show Profile
I have some weeds in my lawn that we're trying to get rid of. I wonder if I use the vinegar method, will it kill the grass too?
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  09:32:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Vinegar, salt and other methods of controlling weeds is also not so great for your plants nor your soil. It turns out the vinegar does not dissipate as quickly as once thought. I'm a moderator at a gardening forum and the last time this topic came up, we decided hand pulling and leaf mulch as a control were the way to go. We also are heavy on learning all about organic mulches and the different NPK values of leaves, rather than using commercial fertilizers which, over time, also do your plants and soil no favors.

I do use vinegar on the weeds in my driveway tho. I don't care if nothing ever grows there!

Edited by - greyghost on Aug 15 2005 09:33:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Anne
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

9 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  9:08:12 PM  Show Profile
I also hate the weeds and wish there was a quick fix to do them in. But, unfortunately, I think that any substance you apply to your soil that has the strength to kill a weed will kill anything else you try to grow there too.

I _have_ heard about turning the soil over in the spring, covering it with landscaping cloth, and letting the sun cook whatever weed seeds/roots are laying dormant there. Then you can either plant by making holes in the cloth and putting your plants there or pulling the cloth up. I've also heard that if you turn the soil over several times in the spring and let the sun get to it, that that kills the weeds too.

I've never had enough energy to try either one of these methods. . . instead I just try to accept the weeds as a part of nature.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  06:27:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Anne, that solarizing method of cooking the weeds also is used to kill nematodes and a few other soil problems. It's suggested to cover the soil in the hottest summer months, to give it a good baking.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  09:16:13 AM  Show Profile
I also read that after you solarize you need to amend the soil with a good, healthy compost to put back the stuff the plants need that the solarization gets rid of in the process of getting rid of the stuff you don't want.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Park Avenue
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Michele
Paradise Valley Alberta
Canada
57 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  3:41:54 PM  Show Profile
I used the vinigar on the weeds between my patio stones. It worked so well. They were dying by the end of the day.
What a great tip, that I had never heard before..now I'm telling everyone!
Thanks,
Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Any ideas for natural weed killer??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page