True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  1:17:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi, everyone.

I'm just barely starting out in life, 23 and still in school (thanks, Mama and Dad!). I'm just wondering, what do you think it takes to make it to the point where one can afford a homestead of their own?

I've been dreaming of having a bit of earth of my own for as long as I can remember, and I think I'm not asking for too much, just 5+ acres somewhere in Western Washington state. But since I've yet to start working in the "real world," I was wondering what everyone thinks I should do to start working towards that goal. I already have almost $11,000 in savings. Bo and I are also downsizing to a smaller and cheaper apartment to save some money. It's not much, but I hope it's a pretty good start.

I want to live in Washington state [read: expensive], and I've been looking at the USDA website and some real estate pages, but there's nothing available in the area I want that's less than $700,000-1million. There's no way I'll EVER be able to afford something like that after interest and inflation, I'm not working right now so I can't qualify for a mortgage, and it starts to make me feel like it's hopeless. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

http://yarnfoodcoffee.typepad.com/
The Age of Discovery in a Nutshell:
-I claim this land in the name of England.
-You can't claim it, we live here!
-Do you have a flag?...

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  2:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Marie- First, I think it is great that you are so wise and frugal at such a young age.

I don't know much about Washington State. Is there less expensive areas? I know there are a lot of Washington gals here, so maybe they can chime in.

I would keep things as simple as you seem to have them right now. Could you live on the land, maybe in a tent in the summer season or a cheap camper/mobile home until you know what you want?

Keep a good budget and don't try to buy everything at once.

I am 34 and not even close owning my own home, so you are doing fantastic.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  3:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Marie, I'm glad to hear that you are saving. So many young people your age are not and that is scary. My advice; finish school, live frugally, and when you are working start to look for your piece of earth. You never know where your career job will take you. Keep dreaming and live your dream it will come true. Be patient.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  4:30:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I'm outside of Seattle too. Oh girlfriend, its soooo expensive to buy anything in our area. But, Cle Elum isn't too far away and that's a whole 'nother ball game as far as price goes, or somewhere up north. We are doing pretty well (at 36 and 37 with 4 kids) but we still can't afford land here. As far as affording it, it is awesome you're already thinking about, but you have so much life about to happen to you. Keep your dream crystal clear in your mind, and always make choices that support it, and you'll get there in the most unexpected ways. We're now thinking of moving back to my hometown in Kansas and making the dream come true where it can realistically happen. We trust that the way will become clear to us, and it will for you too. Best of luck to you!

edited to add: As far as getting to the place you can afford it, you could be reading some great books on becoming financially free and it may get you moving in the right direction. I highly recommend the books "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki, and "Secrets of the Millionaire Mind" by T. Harv Ecker. They are both great easy reads, not at all about numbers or business, but just about how your thoughts and upbringing can really hold you back sometimes in regards to how you handle money and how to earn it. Plus "The Secret" is very popular now, and while its important to realize that no, you don't control the universe with your mind (Hel-lo people!?!), its important to have a clear vision of what you want, and that you allow yourself to believe you can do it and that you deserve it. Enjoy your journey!

Farmgirl Sister #138

Edited by - Aunt Em on Apr 13 2008 4:37:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  10:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much!

Heather-There are other areas that are slightly cheaper, but I've lived in/around some of them, and they're part of why I moved to Seattle. Too hot and arid in the summer and too cold and snowy in the winter=wild fires, caved-in roofs and bad attitudes.
And, as flattered as I am that you'd suggest it, and as much as I can keep up with an ex-military medic on a 3day, 9mile hike/camping trip (think I'm joking? I have pictures) and as much as I do enjoy camping, I don't think I could live out of a tent for long without going completely insane. Much to my chagrin, Bo likes to remind me that I am still a city girl, calling me his "little princess" when I get back from a weekend camping trip and whine that I get the shower first! Also, since I live, go to school, and work in downtown Seattle, there's nowhere to safely set up camp. Great idea, though.

Betty Jo-Great name, same as my Mama! Not to toot my own horn, but I am pretty proud of my ability to save money. I'm also pretty good at spending it, too, though, but I decided when I first got the beginnings of that nest egg that it was designated only for a down payment on a future home. And patience is a virtue that spinning and knitting have, thankfully, begun to teach me.

Emme-I've only ever lived in Washington state... [not including the first 6 years of my life in Marin County, California, but it's even more expensive down there!] so I am tied to this place... however bittersweet. I wish I were, not "brave" enough, but I wish I could go to the Midwest, where it isn't so expensive, but I would be too heartsick with not being near the Pacific Ocean.

I also have a desire, and I don't know how realistic or possible this will be, to have my own yarn cafe, serve good food and coffee alongside offering organic and locally produced yarn and hand knit/woven products. This is probably unlikely to happen, but I won't stop dreaming. If nothing else, it will give me something to do with my rather unusual major: Fiber Arts (I'm majoring in yarn! It's so kooky and perfect for me. I love it!)

Even if I could qualify for a mortgage outright, I could never get a decent one in the current market. It seems that no one can even get a loan right now, the banks and financial institutions are being so tightfisted. And there's so many foreclosures!
I just closed my C.D.–because I'm trying to get an account at a credit union–after 18 months at a 5% interest rate, and the associate said, "Well, if you'd like to restart the account, we've got this great rate right now... of 2%!"
I grabbed my check and ran.

No matter what recession we're heading for, I'll never stop dreaming about my own bit of earth. No matter what, I will have something, maybe not more than a few acres, but I will have something.

Edit: By the way, Emme, what's Carnation like? How much snow did you get this year?

-Do you have a flag?...

Edited by - N Marie on Apr 13 2008 10:59:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  11:40:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Marie - I've lived in Western Washington all my life 50+ years. The prices around here for property are ridiculous now. DH and I sold our house in Enumclaw about 5 years ago and wanted to build a small house closer to our family near Centralia/Chehalis. DH works out of Seattle, so we wanted to be as close to Seattle as we could afford and Centralia/Chehalis was about 90 minutes on I-5. We looked and looked and looked at property and for 5 acres, the most reasonable we found was $65K and there were major drainage problems on it. We made an offer and someone else offered full price the same weekend. We ended up buying a house in Elma, closer to the beach, but the weather is grey all the time. Not to discourage you, but another thing to consider when building in Western WA is how difficult the building requirements are. There are so many restrictions on what you do with your land it's really tough if not impossible to do what you have in mind. Two of the worst counties for this are King and Thurston. We have lived here all our lives and when we got serious about building our homestead, after many years of searching and researching, we bought in Montana. We were able to buy 21 acres for $9,000 and we built our own house - no permits, no inspections, no restrictions. Prices have gone up since we bought our land, but there still are few restrictions on what you can do in our county. We have a very low crime rate there also - we have left lumber, and equipment there for almost 4 years and noone has ever bothered it. It's not for everyone, but be sure you consider everything before you decide where you want to be. Western Washington is beautiful - I think it is one of the most beautiful places in the country, but there isn't much left as far as affordable land. Real estate prices are coming down all over the country though, so who knows what could happen. Good luck!! Building our place was the best thing dh and I have ever done. We still live in Washington til he retires, then we will move there - but the time we do get to spend there is the best!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  12:17:56 AM  Show Profile
Sherri-Thanks for the reminder on building requirements. I've heard from other people that King county is the worst for restrictions, but I was already pretty sure that there's no way I could afford (or stand) to have property that close to Seattle proper.

My dad (big Greek guy, scary-looking but super nice) owns his own business building "Spec Homes" in Yakima, so I'll have my own source for any possible questions... or at least he can tell me where I need to go ask. He's also offered to help pour the foundation once I'm settled on a location and have the property. I can't wait to help build my house! I think that will be the best part! Daddy's little power tool wielding angel. That, and I can try to get my hands on some of that sheep's wool insulation, http://www.goodshepherdwool.com/, instead of fiberglass. I've heard contractors love it because there's nothing hazardous that they might inhale or get imbedded under their skin. I showed Dad, and he's considering using it in his own business.

I've been thinking about Sequim, since Mama and I started a tradition last year of going to the Lavender Festival. She wants to move to Western Washington, too, but Sequim is too small for her, or at least she says so now. It is a very small town, which has its benefits and drawbacks, but it's also so beautiful, and the weather is great, and I would never again have to drive for hours to get to the beach. And how many people can say that they can see another country's coast from their back yard? Yeah, I think I'm liking Sequim more and more, but I'm not falling in love with anything until the time comes that I can afford to.

I've also considered Vashon and Whidbey Island, but the prices there are starting to shoot up and space is becoming more scarce since many others with more money have the same idea. Bo says Bremerton is a no go. I'll take his word on it, seeing as he's lived in this area almost his entire life.

It'll happen, just not within the next 5-10 years... I hope...

-Do you have a flag?...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  07:22:41 AM  Show Profile
Carnation is great! It isn't as far as you think. Only about 40 minutes from Seattle. We got about the same amount of snow as you did in Seattle. We're still down in the valley, so we're not in the elevations that got SO much this year. We love it though 'cause its so small town, but so close to everything else. You know we've got a great Farmgirl chapter out here! Email me if you want more info. Wed love to have you come out! Next meeting is April 27th (or is it the 28th? Anyway, its on Sunday at 2:00 for a gardening clinic). :)

Farmgirl Sister #138
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  07:53:13 AM  Show Profile
Sequim is really nice - I love the Pennisula. I would agree with Bo on Bremerton. Emme is right - Carnation is great - close enough to Seattle to not make it a big deal to go to events and still has the country feel. Lots of great places in Western WA if you can swing the land prices.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  11:28:22 AM  Show Profile
Emme-That would be fantastic! I've been trying to find a chapter near me. And turns out my calender is wide open that day, so far. I'd love to come!
There's a meeting coming up for the Seattle International Film Festival, which I've worked at for 3 years now (wow), but I'm not sure when and I can't miss it. I'll let you know if there's a conflict, though the meeting is usually over by noon.

Sherri-It's too bad that Bremerton isn't nice, because the prices are so inexpensive right now for big houses. But Bo's pretty adamant about it, you agree, and I know nothing about the town, so that' that. Sequim is gorgeous, and there's always something available, so that's a possibility. I don't really care that it's so small, considering that Seattle is so close, and I don't really go out to clubs at all anymore so it's not like I'd be missing it. Too much money and too many attitudes. I can invite friends over and play bartender for pennies.
And can you imagine waking up every morning in early summer to the scent of lavender on the sea breeze? Heavenly.

-Do you have a flag?...
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  11:11:57 AM  Show Profile
Ok, Lavender is one of my favorite fragrances (right after OLD roses) I wanna live where there's lavender on the sea breeze!!! But, I'll never leave California.

Your statement about "sheep's wool" insulation really caught my attention Marie. REALLY? Wow! I've got a whole FLOCK of sheep (25 so far and 5 pregnant ewes getting HUGE!!). All this time I've been using it for bedding for my Pot bellied pig (the lanolin's great for her skin too). Hmmm... I'm going to have to look into that....

Good luck on the land hunt, by the way. Like the other ladies have said, keep that dream up close and out front. You WILL live it, and maybe even sooner than you think! That's the greatest joy in life I think-- all the surprises we find while skipping down our life path!

Besides, with the housing "market" basically in the toilet, something's gotta give. I mean, it's not OUR fault the banks and loan company's got so darn greedy they were handing out loans like candy to people who didn't even have teeth!!! We should not have to suffer for that. But, like I said, a BIG change is coming.

You might look in to some of those forclosed homes and properties. If you keep building that nest egg, in a year or two, you just might be able to buy a house and/or land with the CASH you have!!! The lenders don't want PROPERTY, they want MONEY!!! and they will unload the property any way they can to obtain it. It's sad that SOMEBODY else's dream got foreclosed on, but that was THEIR FAULT, and the fault of their loan company, not yours-- OR mine!

I watched the whole housing "BOOM" here in California and knew from the get-go what a mess it was going to be. It was almost like God himself were saying to me--- "Oh no kid, you don't want to get in the middle of THIS one!"-- My husband actually wanted to buy a piece of property near where we live, before the bubble exploded, but I fought him tooth and nail and he didn't understand why. (at the time I didn't really know either, but I trust my own instincts) Now he's thankful that I didn't give in. Especially since someone in HIS family bought into the whole "real estate frenzy" and we (and another family member) actually gave THEM money to help keep them from losing their home.

As for me, well, I'd be perfectly happy living in a TENT, as long as the ground beneath it was MINE! Keep your chin up Marie! You WILL find your little piece of heaven right here on earth! hugs and smiles ~~ Tracy
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2008 :  9:31:35 PM  Show Profile
Oh, geez. My family moved from Cali to Washington when I was 6, and I have heard of asinine house prices in Cali ever since. I can't even imagine what it must be like right now, considering what ludicrous prices some places here are going for. A 2 bedroom house in Seattle city limits goes for over $400,000!

THIS HAS GOT TO STOP SOMETIME SOON,... hasn't it?

Farmgirl #181
Save the tuna! Eat more prey fish!
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070624132617.htm

-Do you have a flag?...
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 02 2008 :  10:12:36 PM  Show Profile
The housing market in California has pretty much stalled. I see a lot of "For Sale" signs coming down and the "For Rent" signs going up in their place. That's what my brother and Sister-in-law decided to do with THIER place. It was on the market for two years, but in the meantime, they had put a down on ANOTHER house-- which I could NOT understand.

I mean, why buy ANOTHER house when the FIRST one isn't even paid for yet? Does not make any sense to me. If you had a ton of money and could pay cash up front, ok, I get that, but when you struggle to make the payments on ONE house? WHY would you want to buy another one? Like I said, I'd rather invest my money in LAND that I can build a house on, even if I have to live in a TENT in the process! ~~~Tracy
Go to Top of Page

kindacrunchymom
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Diane
In the thumb Michigan
94 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  3:40:28 PM  Show Profile
Well, I don't know about Washington, but I can tell you how DH and I did it. He bought a 4 acre parcel when he was 22, land contract because he couldn't get a mortgage at that time. He worked and paid it off by the time he was 29 (I think it cost about $40,000). Then, he and I met...

He bought a tiny house in the middle of nowhere for a song, and paid that off too. After a couple of years, we got married, and a year after that we started to look for property. We found our current parcel, again land contract, and fell in love.

We were able to use the money from the tiny house and the first parcel of land to fund building our home ourselves. It took six months (DH had help) and a lot of panic attacks, but we did it. We are on 4 acres on a dirt road, and our house is average to small (1700 sq ft). Nothing fancy, but we do have a huge front porch and a lot of energy efficency. I was 31 when we moved in, so not too bad.

I guess my best advice would be to buy something and try to pay it off asap. Even if it isn't your dream property, you can make improvements as you go on, and it is good leverage when you find that "dream" parcel. Plus, there is nothing like the feeling of having land that it paid for, no matter how small. You might also want to find a land contract, because with a nice down payment and decent credit, most sellers will be okay.

Good luck!!

Farmmom to my 3 year old farm tot, and wife to a country boy!
To learn more about me, here is my blog:
http://mcadmom.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

gafarmwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

244 Posts

Pam
Georgia
USA
244 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  12:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi N Marie. I can tell you how my husband and I did it. It was a long time ago, before you were even born and times have changed but not the principle of it. We started out with the land. We found a 7 acre tract that was owner financed. We found a mobile home that we could buy, paid for. We concentrated on paying the land off and build a small house ourselves,paying for it as we built it, over 3 years.We also bartered/swapped work on the new house. I was 27 and my husband was 30 when we had the land and house paid for and we had 2 young sons.
We did not use a credit card ever, we had a budget and stuck to it. I shopped thrift stores. After 4 years we sold that land and house and made a good profit and went from there.
I know everyone can't do it that way, but I still think the main thing is doing as you are, save..save..save. I think it is great you have savings at your young age.
I just know you will find the right piece of land. Just have patience. One day it will happen.

...Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference... ~Robert Frost~

Life on a Southern Farm
http://georgiafarmwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  11:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Okay, along this line of questions about purchasing farm land, does anyone know if the government has grants or loans available to help for those who wish to pursue farming? I have thought and thought about purchasing a small, very small farm here on the opposite side of the country - I'm in Maryland - but I would have to sell my house, and now is probably not the time to do that. Just wondering if anyone knows??? Thank you.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  12:05:48 PM  Show Profile
Carol, I've got nothing but time to do the research, just not the funds to actually get started. Haha! So here's what I've found so far, hope this helps!

The Small Farm Resource
http://www.farminfo.org/

USDA Rural Development Home Page
http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/

American Farmland Trust
http://www.farmland.org/default.asp

Women in Sustainable Agriculture
http://attra.ncat.org/newsletter/attranews_0306.html

Center for Rural Affairs: Funding Sources
http://www.cfra.org/resources/beginning_farmer/fundingsources

Farmgirl #181
Save our oceans! Eat more prey fish!
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  12:08:18 PM  Show Profile
According to Suze Orman, WA is the cheapest state to live in. Of course, one doesn't farm in downtown Seattle, but here on the East side of the state (read arid) there are lots of small farms and lots of big ones too. Since we only are taxed on our ability to spend and not on our earning capabilities, it is much cheaper than those states that are taxed both ways.

Just my two cents worth.

Betty
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  12:14:22 PM  Show Profile
Betty, I lived more than half of my existence in Yakima, so I know ALL about how arid it can be. Can't stand that kind of summer heat anymore.

That's why I moved to Seattle, and why I'm looking at property in the surrounding counties.

Oh, and in Monday's paper, the front page showed plans for new vertical urban farms. It was the weirdest thing, but a great idea. (If you look closely at the computer-generated image, you can see a picture of American Gothic on the outside of the elevator shaft!)
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/365448_urbanfarming02.html

Farmgirl #181
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  12:19:04 PM  Show Profile
Buy small and grow large. If you start out with only one acre (and if you look, you can find one you will be happy in for awhile), and get some equity built up, then you can upgrade to more acres. Hubby and I started out in a small house, and it allowed us to enlarge. There is no way we could have just jumped into the big time unless we had an inheritance or something! And keep being a saver! Nothing is so great as that - it just takes time to reap the benefits of a frugal lifestyle, but it happens. Look at where you are already!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  12:33:19 PM  Show Profile
Haha, actually, Jeannie, I just happened to get an insurance check when I wrecked my first car (it wasn't hard. It was a Ford Focus. Those things are built like tin cans. It was scary, 15-25 mph collision and it was destroyed!), then a few months later my parents gave me $2000 for whatever I wanted. I automatically told them, "Beginning of a down payment on a house!" instead of "That new dress and those shoes and blah blah blah." I could have really gone to town with that kind of monies. It burned a hole in my pocket all the way to the bank.

Now, I've gained almost $1000 in interest, plan to switch to a better bank with higher interest rates, and drive a Jeep Wrangler (heh heh. Just try to dent my bumper. It's made of steel!) and only drive it a few times a week (Bo has it the rest of the time, which is fine, because then only one of us is paying for gas instead of both.)

And, I've been making meals almost entirely from ingredients in my [well-stocked] cupboards, and buying fresh stuff at the neighborhood farmer's market. That's a heck of a lot cheaper than eating out all the time, which I used to do, and I get to practice and perfect my cooking skills. I made banana bread from some yogurt that needed to be used up, and it was delicious. Bo ate over half of the loaf before I even got one bite!

Yeah, I'd say being frugal is the best thing I ever did for myself. Now if only I could find a thrift store with as many hidden fabric treasures as everyone back east, then I'd have a new wardrobe for pennies. I'd be walking in high cotton!

Farmgirl #181
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  1:23:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi marie-I just wanted to pat you on the back for all you've done to follow your vision. I think it's great. I don't live in your area, but I do know you're in a very trendy place to be, which as you have already found out translates into $$$$$. Keep saving and I do hope you're doing something with your savings so it's working for you instead of just sitting around. I suspect you may have to buy and sell a time or two before you find or are able to afford your dream, but who knows. Patience is a virtue as they say. Good luck!

Carol, I am not aware of anything at the moment that provides grants. I do know the farm credit bureau is available to help with loans and I do know there are certain programs that help you do certain things once you actually own property. You might call your state's ag extension service and see if they have any suggestions. You also might start off with something small that is owner financed (that's what we did) and buy and sell your way up.
kate

"You only have what you give...""
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  8:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Marie, Oh my goodness you ROCK!!! Have you checked out any of the sites you listed yet? I can't wait to see what they have to offer. Maybe some hope... thank you so much for listing those! And thank you to all you farmgirls who gave me information, suggestions, and hope. I'll get there and I don't care if it's one acre. That would be like a mountain to me...
Marie, you should be so proud of yourself, saving all that money for a downpayment, and following your dream!!! Never lose sight of that dream and you will get your farm...

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  10:29:56 PM  Show Profile
I have checked them, but I'm still nowhere near ready to make that kind of leap. I'm still in school, and honestly not quite ready for something that huge. I'm still trying to keep believing that I can someday own my own yarn cafe (an organic cafe and yarn store, all rolled into one!) Sometimes I wonder...

But, now's not a good time to be reconsidering life goals. It's finals week, and I'm very worried about my math class. Suffice it to say that I could have been a bit less lazy this quarter, and the professor and my classmates have been a nightmare!

So, yeah. Really bad time to question my dreams, seeing as my sanity is hanging by a thread as it is. Hahaha... haha... ha. Wish me luck, ladies. I'm really gonna need it.

Farmgirl #181
Go to Top of Page

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  07:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Oh Marie, I do know how you feel - math was never my thing. I always had trouble with it. I'll say a prayer for you that things turn out well. I love your idea for an organic cafe and yarn shop! How cool is that?? It would be great. Good luck with the finals!!!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Go to Top of Page

farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2008 :  07:25:43 AM  Show Profile
Good luck Marie! math bites, so I feel your pain. (((Hugs)))

"You only have what you give...""
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What's it take? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page