Page: of 2

carolbrigid
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Carol
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  08:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Send carolbrigid a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kate, I wanted to thank you for the information about the Farm Credit Bureau. I'm going to visit their website today and see what they have to offer a poor single urban woman in the way of assistance. Well, I'm not poor but with the rising cost of everything and my salary remaining the same, it's all catching up to me..... thanks again for the suggestion. I would definitely buy really small, because that's all I want and need.

Marie, I hope you did well on your finals. Let us know!!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Carol

Farmgirl Sister #222
Member, Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  10:27:54 AM  Show Profile
I'm worried that a new Depression is going to hit, so I'm not even bothering trying to get a mortgage right now. Once all of this nonsense calms down (the war, rising cost of living, banks freaking out) then I'll start looking.

Farmgirl #181
Blue-collar born and raised, and dang proud of it!
http://yarnfoodcoffee.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2008 :  10:31:35 AM  Show Profile
I don't know much about that but I live in Arkansas and there are booklets the state sends out here with land listed that people stopped paying their taxes on and are up for auction or sale. It's pretty inexpensive down here in some areas but I live in a town so I really don't know what land is going for per acre. I don't think it is always great farmland as it is pretty rocky where I am in the North/Ozarks but there are a lot of cattle farms here and they seem to do real well.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

iloveprims
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

TRACY
Phillipsburg NJ
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  2:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Send iloveprims a Yahoo! Message
I think it's awesome that you are savings, when I was your age that was the last thing on my mind so I admire you. On that note, your young and there is nothing wrong with wanting AND having your own bit of earth, shoot I am 35 and while I have my own home I want bigger and more land.

First just do your research and keep on savings, your already doing an awesome job.

http://wantingtobeme.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  8:15:37 PM  Show Profile
I've enjoyed reading these posts on "realizing the dream". As you can tell by the number of posts, I'm very new to the chat room and I, too, am looking for the 5+ acres here in central North Carolina. While land prices (depending on exactly what area) are not totally out of reach, I have seen them steadily rise.

The issue with me is that I am not young, well comparatively speaking (I'm 50!) and have yet to get that parcel. It took me until my late 30s to realize that mom and dad were wrong--I didn't need a man in my life to help me financially and to lead me in his dreams. So when I did get married (for love) to someone wanting the same things as I, life became a crap shoot. Job layoffs, relocations due to job changes, etc. have made the last several years financially tough. We are just now in jobs we really enjoy and can now begin to save and look for our dream home (a small "structure" with lots of land suits us!).

Anyone else out there been in a situation like this? Is it too late to follow my dream? My husband and I both are in good health, have fun together, and enjoy life with our friends--and our four cats! I guess I'm just looking for encouragement.

To you that have posted in this forum, congrats on saving early and realizing the importance of following your heart and your dream. You are wiser than you realize.

Darlene
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2008 :  8:24:35 PM  Show Profile
Aw, Darlene. *giggle* Thanks, I try.

I like to think (in my whole 23 years of experience and wisdom) that you're never too young [to knit/wear shawls] or too old [to learn to surf/buy a home] to do anything.

I hope, when I'm your age, my man and I are as happy as you and your man seem to be. To you, I offer an ancient Greek blessing: "Upon touching sand, may it turn to gold."

Farmgirl #181
Go to Top of Page

kelliraeb
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

kelli
Michigan
29 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  6:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Send kelliraeb a Yahoo! Message
WOW! I live in Michigan, where real estate is still reasonable. I watch television shows all of the time and I cannot imagine how people afford to buy homes that are so expensive. But they do, and you will too. Keep on saving and planning.

Kelli
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2008 :  8:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Kelli:

Actually, I can't stand those huge, McMansion type houses/townhomes. I love cute, quaint, little bungalow-style homes (notice how I say "home" versus "house.")

Some examples of what I mean:
http://www.rosschapin.com/Plans/Cottage/Hilltop/Hilltop.html
http://www.rosschapin.com/Plans/Houses/Kaleah/Kaleah.html

But my favorite, so far, is this one (with some alterations, of course! Daddy raised a good little architect.)
http://www.architecturaldesigns.com/small-house-plan-3435vl.asp

Farmgirl #181
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  8:07:13 PM  Show Profile
For some of us the journey has a few more curves and just takes a little longer. I'm in my 50's as well and have just recently bought a place that will let me do at least half of what I want to. I still don't have my place in the country (trying to stay close to my parents and grandma, whom I help), but I do have a what is considered 2 city lots and the back "lot" is becoming my garden/farm!! There are neighbors on both sides of me with roosters, so next year I will be getting some chickens to join in. I have also found out that I am in the light industry zoned section, so it gives me a little more flexibility for some stuff!! I just can't have the goats I want, have to have at least an acre - boo hoo .

My suggestion is to start doing little things. My ex's idea of a homestead was totally different from mine, so it didn't happen the way I had hoped. But I kept trying to have a garden, had goats a couple times, learned how to make butter, cheese, and yogurt. I grew up canning, so I kept it up. I also learned how to dry produce and jerky.

Saving money is great, but start doing little things now. You will have a lot to do once you get out on your place, learn what you can now, have a garden even if it is just in containers to start. Get your hands on produce to can, freeze, or dry. Build a solar box and use it to cook your meals. Read everything you can get your hands on even if you don't think it pertains. Its amazing how one little sentence will come back to you later on when you are trying to solve a problem. You will be amazed at how things will start to come together for you. Be open for unusual possibilities.

Good luck on your search!!!

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!
Go to Top of Page

emtfarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Darlene
North Carolina
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2008 :  8:36:21 PM  Show Profile
Marie, Kelli, Mary,

Thank you for your thoughts and encouragement. I've been busy the last couple of days cleaning and trying to downsize (with not much luck) so the canning I'd planned to do, didn't work out. But Mary, you are right about doing all those "country" things in the present and not wait for the future. I took a week off from work and had my days planned out--clean out kitchen cabinets one day, clean closets next day, etc. Whew...I'm going to have to go back to work just to get some rest. Whoever said they would be bored if they ever retired...well, I can't imagine!

Thanks again and I encourage each of you, too!
Darlene

"Learn CPR...you may one day save a life."
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  06:27:57 AM  Show Profile
Good for you for already having a savings. I waited until I was 40 before I bought my first house, in part because I did not know where I wanted to live. Also talk to who you think you might go through for your mortgage. Many times your loan gets sold afterwards. I've been with Wells Fargo for every and they keep their loans. Other folks may have different experiences. As a first time home buyer there are different options. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. When you buy a home, in the end you will pay twice due to interest. I am working with mine to place another large chunk of money down to lower my payment. I don't have to do a refinance, but just a recalculation.

The biggest thing to remember is that whatever you put down on your house, you will need half again as much for immediate purchases. There will be areas that need painting, a few repairs, maybe furniture. Then it is also good to have a little more aside to live on. I made sure my pantry was well stocked and that for several months I could live out of it with only a few trips to the store. If you get a homestead, you'll want to be getting a few animals, chickens, goats, whatever you want. That is a cost you should figure. Don't let this overwhelm you! As I said as first time home buyer you may not be required to but a large amount down, but make SURE, ABSOLUTELY SURE to get a fixed rate. That is what is hurting so many folks right now.

It can be a bit overwhelming but doing your homework will put your mind at ease. What do you need now, what can wait a few years. Someone else mentioned having a job in place. Good idea.

Best of luck, Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  10:19:14 AM  Show Profile
Laurie,

Thank you! I've already done many of the things you've mentioned, but it's nice to know I'm going about it the right way. I've already thought about all the things I want/need/can live without (and what wants I can sacrifice to meet my needs).

My Dad is an electrician by trade, but now owns his own business building and selling houses, so he can help me with planning and design if I get an empty piece of land, or with remodeling if I get land with an older house (it's also nice knowing what building/decor supplies are cheaper right now!) I've thankfully already got a lot of furniture, mostly family hand-me-downs, and a few choice items from IKEA (I love my solid pine table and my couch!), and some other pieces that my parents have in storage for me to have someday. I also know how to build some pieces of wood furniture, and my Dad can help with that, too.

I've talked with a friend who knows everything there is to know about any kind of animal, and she and I discussed how some animals are less cost-effective to raise on a small scale, like cows (though I will have one little milk cow, for my own use.) Chickens are a must, and I know that I can butcher them myself if need be. I also have been trying different locally-grown veg. to see what I like enough to grow for myself. I talk to farmers at the markets, and ask them how difficult each item is to produce (I recently learned that, in city, you can have a bee hive on your roof, so that way the bees don't bother anyone, and city-dwellers can produce their own honey!)

I've heard of so many people having problems with their loans (losing them, new bank buying the loan and raising the rates, banks charging twice in one month!) that there's no way I'm signing anything without advice from a lawyer, and unless I'm absolutely comfortable with the terms.

I've pretty much got most of the bigger decisions, now it's just a matter of saving enough money to make it happen... and wait out this recession

Farmgirl #181

Edited by - N Marie on Jul 19 2008 10:21:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  11:16:40 AM  Show Profile
Best of luck to you.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  2:06:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Marie:
Sounds like whatever you decided you are headed in the right direction. You are wise, indeed! Stay in school, get your degree or degrees. Good idea on getting the smaller place to live. Think positive!!!! Maybe buy a used house and move it to land you buy. It's such fun fitting an old place up. Remember, where there's a will, there's a way. So nice to see you thanked you mom and dad. Take care. Much luck on your dreams. Dreams DO come true, Marie.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  5:08:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow Marie! This is so cool! I am 20 and I go to school in Seattle! This is so exciting! And your question totally pertains to me as well. All I want is some land-it doesn't have to be a ton...just about the same as you 5+ acres would be perfect!

Chelsey
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What's it take? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page