Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farm Stalking Next Topic  

TElliott
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Terisa
Lebanon Oregon
USA
14 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  10:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see TElliott's MSN Messenger address  Send TElliott a Yahoo! Message
I feel like a stalker, but I'm in love with some land. I have visited this land several times over the last week or so, and just felt there is something about it - I'm always hoping the owners don't drive up and wonder what the heck I'm doing standing there haha! And my dream farm would fit right on it too! A huge garden, an archery range, a chicken coop, and room for my kiddo's to roam free with their dog.

My mother's neighbors sold their place; the buysers devided it up into parcels and are reselling them. (I think I mentioned in another post how discusted I was by that) Be that as it may! I took my kiddos on a walk up the gravel road to the neighbor's now empty old homestead, as the home that was there has been cleared away.

The little gravel road goes right up a line of emerald green grass to a big ole' cherry tree on the righthand side, with the home's space on your left - the driveway is a drive-around, so it circles around and meets the gravel road again. We walked up the driveway and stood where the house used to be and girls... it takes your breath away. It's all shaddowed with the shade of 6 giants - ancient douglas fir trees towering high overhead. And just beyond them the ground drops off steeply about 15 feet straight down a bank covered in crisp green fern to the Calapooia river. It's a small river you can wade across but it's still swift at this time of year. All around there is land green with life and just begging to be planted! If you turn your back to the fir trees you look out over the 3.5 acres (the middle of which really needs a little orchard on it, I think :) )to the gravel road and on the other side of that is an endless view of the Cascade mountains. A farm in the foothills - my newly forming farm girls at heart group is already deemed "Foothill Farmgils", so it's a perfect place.

I have no idea if the owners are selling it as it is, or if they will build and then sell. If they sell it as is, I may be able to scrape up enough to buy that baby, but if they build on it all will be lost. I'm taking a picture of it and keeping it on my fridge so that I see it and think of it. The power of positive though is unmeasureable! I believe that if it's not meant to be, it's because there is something even better out there but oooooh... I want that land! Light a candle for us!

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  02:06:56 AM  Show Profile
Oooo Terisa, the way you describe this parcel just set my heart to twitter too. I shall light a candle for you for your land and for your children to live and become part of this land. You are right if it is meant to be, then it is meant to be. It sounds wonderful and something is drawing you there for a reason.
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.wordpress.com/
My new apron's only blog!

Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  07:00:52 AM  Show Profile
Terisa, I hope it all comes into place for you. It clicked for us this year, and for a spot my DH has loved since he was a child. Keep positive. Hope it doesn't take as long for you :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  12:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It sounds like a beautiful area! I really hope it works out for you. Do you know who the owners are? Maybe you could call them and make an offer or at least ask what their plans are for the land.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  12:36:19 PM  Show Profile
What a beautiful picture you gave..
I could see it all..
This has to be right.. As clear as you made it for all of us to see!!
Everything possitive is sending your way Sweetie!!

Kathie

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

TElliott
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Terisa
Lebanon Oregon
USA
14 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  7:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see TElliott's MSN Messenger address  Send TElliott a Yahoo! Message
Thanks so much for the well-wishes, I appreciate it more than you know. My mother is making attempts to contact the owners to ask about prospective selling. I'm pretty close to my mom - she's a Foothills Farmgirl too! - and what mom wouldn't love to have her daughter live right up the road? It's quiet a drive up there for us from where we live now, and they always need extra hands to help with their small orchard. We love the work, and they love having us. We're more mouths to feed but you know the saying, every mouth comes with two hands. We'll just keep our fingers crossed and leave it to destiny!

Terisa~
Go to Top of Page

highlandgirl
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Cheryl
Colfax, WA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  9:05:56 PM  Show Profile
Terisa,

Keep up the good thoughts. Trying to contact the current owners is a good move. We were able to buy some land recently because we contacted the owners two years ago and developed a relationship. When they were ready to sell, they contacted us and the rest is history. My best wishes. Your description draws such a beautiful picture.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  5:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Terisa,
Am keeping you in my thoughts and sending best wishes and good vibes with tons of hope your way!!! I do so hope it works out!!! And please continue to keep us posted!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  07:16:08 AM  Show Profile
A farm stalker, rofl! I love it. I've been known to do the same sort of thing. Best of luck at getting the place, and do keep us updated!

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com http://mustangdiaries.blogspot.com http://marbletownangels.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  11:02:29 AM  Show Profile
The farm stalking had me laughing too-yeah-I've done that too. I do hope you get it-it sounds perfect. All the best!
Ellen
Go to Top of Page

fiddlers wife
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

ginny
pacific mo
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  07:11:23 AM  Show Profile
I admit it. I'm a farm stalker, too.

I had my eye on a place for years. It's a 2 story stone farmhouse. Abandoned, overgrown but still had appeal. I used to drive by all the time and wonder... Then I finally got up the nerve to pull over and have a look. I stood in the front yard and imagined it cleaned up, new shutters, porch railing, flower beds. Oh, it was lovely in my mind!The I walked around to the back, only to discover that the entire backside was missing! I've since spoken to neighbrs who said that someone bought it with the intention of adding on to the back. They didn't know what they were doing and went crazy with a bobcat, and part of it collapsed. Sad. :0( It had the deep windowsills, hand hewn beams - a diamond in the rough. I still like to drive by and imagine what it would be like if it were fixed up, but it would take a major feat of engineering to do it.

Ah, well, maybe when I win the lottery.

"She didn't get it from a gypsy..."

www.ginnymae.etsy.com
Restyled vintage elements featuring feed sack purses and totes
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  12:25:35 PM  Show Profile
We are farm stalkers too, except my husband will pull into the drive and approach the owners and ask if they plan to sell...sigh, I am embarrassed :)
I remind myself someday it could work!

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

http://lilsfamilyfarm.blogspot.com

Chapter http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2008 :  8:18:53 PM  Show Profile
you can always try to find out who owns it by doing a property appraisal search if you know the address.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  05:53:26 AM  Show Profile
DH and I have been stalking a farm. It is 52 acres with an 1800's brick colonial home, several barns, and my favorite, a mature fruit and nut orchard. The lady (a widow) who lives there wants a lot of money for it (as she should) but through investigating the location and the surrounding land values, she is asking almost twice the market value. While I understand to her it is so valuable, we can't spend as much as she is asking on that place, it would be a poor financial decision for us. We are hoping that she lowers her asking price or we win the lottery and can pay her what she wants for it.

I have felt so emotional each time we've been to look at it. Maybe it will happen for us I will keep hoping.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

iloveprims
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

TRACY
Phillipsburg NJ
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  3:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Send iloveprims a Yahoo! Message
I hope everything turns out just the way you want it and you get the farm, let us know how things turn out and I will send good thoughts your way.

http://wantingtobeme.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kelliraeb
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

kelli
Michigan
29 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2008 :  7:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Send kelliraeb a Yahoo! Message
I am kind of a farm stalker too. Whenever I am anywhere near the property we bid on I have to drive by and take a look. I have taken everyone I know to see it too. The house is nothing special to look at, I look at it with an eye to the future, what it will be eventually if we are lucky enough to get it. I probably doesn't look very special to anyone else.
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  08:49:55 AM  Show Profile
My best friends mother has embarrassed them for years by property/house stalking. She goes right up to their door and gives them her card and says to please call if they are ever interested in selling. About a week ago, she finally caught someone at home at a house they all have been pining for for several years now. And the owner laughed and laughed and said that that's how they bought THAT house! She had been eyeing it for several months and when she knocked on the door the owner said that she and her husband planned on living there forever and they wouldn't be interested in selling. Not 6 months later the lady got a phone call from the owner and said they had to move in 60 days, and did they still want the property. So the woman assured my friend's mother she would call the minute their lives took a different turn and they would need to move. IT WORKS!!!

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  06:11:34 AM  Show Profile
hmmmmm...hate to be the stalking party pooper but trespassing is a serious issue and most property owners post no trespassing signs for a reason. Please be respectful of those of us who don't want complete strangers intruding, coming to the door, or salivating on the property we worked so hard to get....

Dream for the property, wish for the property but please don't insist that the property owner participate in your dream....

Kim

Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farm Stalking Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page