Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Honestly, I am tired of the dog.. UPDATE
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Honestly, I am tired of the dog.. UPDATE Next Topic
Page: of 2

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  09:29:16 AM  Show Profile
I agree with letting the dog live out life comfortablely. I'm in a similar situation with our old Lab. Since we adopted her from a rescue we don't actually know how old she is, but we've had her for 12 years. For the past year she has been completely incontinent (sp?) and now is not allowed in the house.

I think hubby is being selfish and not considering all the things you have to deal with while he's gone. I don't think he's looking at the possible financial disaster either, just wants his dog alive. You're around the dog every day and know how things are progressing. You'll know when something needs to be done, like putting him down. And, you're strong enough to make that decision for the benefit of the dog. It's not a loving act to keep a pet going because we can't let go.

I know you'll do what's best for everyone involved.

Good Luck
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  10:21:18 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Talked with the vet today and as it seems, Chloe is just getting old. I know 8 doesn't sound old, but she spent 3 years living in h**l with my hubby's ex wife. She was left out in the Texas weather, all year round, under fed, under watered, collar growing into her neck. The vet thinks that this is where all the problems started and she was grateful we have loved her over the past 3 years. Her suggestion was just to let her live it out, watch it as it goes and when I feel the time has come, to do what is most heartfelt and right for Chloe. It does make me sad but denial does not help the situation. I cannot change that we live in a townhouse without access to a yard, I can't change that right now. I can only do what I can do and when things get to the point of just downright absurdity, it will be time.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  11:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- I know you have one of the larger sized boxers and unfortunately for large breed dogs, 8 can be quite old. I hope that things get a bit easier for you and her as well. Have you tried to Stress-Ease plug ins that you can get from the pet shop- I have noticed that those can help a bit. Also they have the piddle pads that are scented to make the dog want to potty on them. When all else fails- there are doggie diapers. One other thing you might consider is buying some laundry baskets and a getting some cinder blocks. Before you leave put the laundry baskets with cinder blocks in on each couch so she can't jump up on the couches and close the doors to the bedrooms. I make sure Sky has a blanket in the corner (she likes to "hide) that has a window to look outside and she stays there whenever we are gone. I then just wash the blanket a couple of times a week in case she has an accident but with her hormone treatment she has been accident free for a while.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Honestly, I am tired of the dog.. UPDATE Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page