Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic The solar test.. Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  11:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Having just moved, I fell way behind on laundry and for some reason, I had a mountain of towels to wash. So I did one huge load of towels along with a large load of dark clothes. I place the clothes that I don't hang dry in the dryer and set it for 40 minutes. I put the towels outside on my porch over my chairs so they look like they were intentionally place there, in that hot TEXAS sun and decided to see who would dry faster. Well, the towels won and they are WAAAAAYYYY Thicker than any piece of clothing I own. I can't wait until next pay day, I am going to get some rope and some hooks and set up a few lines in the garage since we live in a rented apartment house with no yard and rules. Even with the garage door closed, the heat alone should dry everything quickly. YEE HAW!!! I am back in the clothesline business.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  11:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather-

That doesn't surprise me a bit! Wyoming is a lot like most parts of Texas climate wise. Hot and dry. I always thought as a child that I physically couldn't sweat more than just a little "glisten". Then we moved to a moister climate and I realized- that air is so dry it just zaps any moisture off your skin before you even realize it is there! I remember watching the tar in the streets boil in the summers and how we would have to water the lawn at 3 or 4 in the morning to avoid burning it.

Also swamp coolers work better than air conditioning in super dry climates.

I am so jealous of your clothes line! I hope to convince my dad to put one up this summer! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  11:33:26 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am lucky my garage is in the back of the complex, only facing one other neighbors garage, and you can really see in from the road. If anything , I will take the extra bedroom and hang up lines. That is what my Aunt used to do because she didn't want the neighbors seeing her "personals"!!! HA!!!!

It does get humid here starting in May or June but even then, the sun is so hot that things dry fast. Now, again, I am a sun worshipper and most people who are not from here think I am nuts but I LOVE IT!!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  11:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather-

I love the sun as well. Growing up in weather where it often got around 105-110 in the summer and we would still be outside riding our bikes, running through sprinklers, playing with the dog- It was great! I can't wait to be in my hometown for the summer! My favorite time of the year!

(Okay, I say that about every season!)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  9:56:22 PM  Show Profile
Heather,

Before I got my clothes line up I use to just put clothes on the hangers and hang them from the closet doorjam. Lightweight items were hung from the shower rod. We kinda looked like a Chinese laundry, but it worked great. Then an area Kmart went out of business and I was able to buy an expandable rack which I put in the bathroom. It's all about improvising and making it work. So far it work just fine.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic The solar test.. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page