Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Merger didn't work out, totally bummed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Merger didn't work out, totally bummed Next Topic  

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  6:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I know I don't post in here much often anymore, but I check in when I can.

I've run my own graphic design business for 6 years. Last June, I started working with a new marketing company that just adored my work, and they have begged me to come merge my company with theirs since July. I kept putting it off, until finally they said they'd pay XX/year (a very good salary) with benefits, and I'd only need to be there 2 days a week, and only put in 32 hours a week total if that's all I want. Sounded too good to be true, so at the end of January, I said OK, let's try it out.

First of all, I know they were busy busy. But several things were not right from the start. I was supposed to be a Partner in their firm, and they said their policy is to wait a year before anyone is made Partner. I understand this, I do. But if that's the intention, I want to be treated like one (to a degree) until that time comes.

Second, my desk had boxes under it, and the drawers had not been cleaned out. I dealt with this some, but it was irritating to me. If you want me so bad that you bother me for 6 months about it, make sure I feel welcome.

There were a few other piddly things. But what finally got me was this. After I came back from a 3-day vacation (and spent money, which I feel guilty for because I never do, but I thought I'd need some more work-appropriate clothes since my self-employment days are performed in jeans or yoga pants) they sat me down, and said they needed me there 5 days a week. If I was not prepared to give them this, they had already interviewed a guy who would be there 5 days a week. They would still outsource to me, as they love my work, they just felt they needed someone there full time.

I know that what they did was a panic reaction. Some of the things that came up in that discussion made that clear to me. As I said, this is a newer firm, it is doing very well considering it is so new. My work has helped build this firm, honestly speaking. If I were to be a partner, then surely my 6 years in self employment would have been an asset to them? I had solutions and experience that solved nearly all of the problems they were experiencing, and as I thought about it over the next few days, I found solutions for the other problems.

At any rate, on Monday I gave them my decision. I told them I was going back to my own company, and that I would be happy for the work they sent me and we could go back to how things were handled previously.

In the past week though, I have been really, really down. I was liking the thought of that steady check, since my hubby and I both are self-employed. We have some credit debt that we want to pay off, and I could see it going down and it made me feel so GOOD. I feel so guilty for that short vacation, and so stupid for buying work attire that I now won't need too often, except on client meetings. Since I bought these things out of town, there's no way to return them. I didn't spend a LOT, please don't think I went crazy, but I wish I had that cash for the card instead now.

To make things harder, my husband always worries about money. He is Mr Doom and Gloom, and my job is always to prop him back up and make him see the light. I'm finding this task very, very difficult right now.

I know deep down that we will be OK and I don't regret going back to Blue Sky for a second. My experience has reaffirmed that this is the right path for me, there are a million things I do that need me HOME and working from HOME. Working full time would not be an option, and I think it would kill our marriage, I really do - my hubby isn't good about cleaning house or picking up behind himself, so I know I would resent being breadwinner with 64 hours a week dedicated to my job and then spend my weekends cleaning the house. I just would like to see more money coming in through the door than there is right now.

My answers will come. I hope they come with a few thousand dollars, too.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  7:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Aww Lynn! I am sorry to hear the steady paycheck didn't work out! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  09:49:41 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Thanks Alee. (((hugs)))

I'll be OK. Some of my depression is hormonal (guess I can be glad I'm not pregnant too), and because I've had to be "Miss Pep Talk" for the past several days to my hubby, when I know I'm the one that could really, really use a pep talk from HIM. lol.

This is why God made women so strong. And we are called "the weaker sex" - HA!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  10:15:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lynn-

I know how that goes, being the supportive cheerleader to the other half can be really wearing in normal situations. But I think it is even worse when you need them to be the cheerleader for a little while. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sage
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Pam
Worland Wyoming
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  4:35:59 PM  Show Profile
Lynn; I admire the strong person you are to make that decision. Listen to your instincts, it sounds like you were uneasy from the beginning and you could have lost a lot in an attempt to belong to this company. You are better off in control of your own life.
Take a deep breath of that wonderful freedom that you gave yourself and go pamper yourself. I am learning the hard way that the path to a rewarding life isn't found through money earned but by finding that inner peace that comes from following our intuition to a balanced life filled with family and friends. Take care Sage :)

Farmgirl sister #140
www.heritagedesigns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  09:27:12 AM  Show Profile
I agree. Reading the story, I think you really would NOT have been happy with the company. And, as my mama said: "You can't use a paycheck when you're in the looney bin" (Translation: if the job is making you THAT crazy, ain't no paycheck big enough to cover that---sorry, she's from Hungary :) )

Anyhow, I am so sorry. If it makes you feel better, I'm on a crazy career quest to, and I am finding that I am getting picky enough that I want something to satisfy my SOUL, not just enough to bring home money. Not an easy task. Seems like so many employers don't know how to treat employees. I know money is tight, but I feel better things are coming your way.

Also--and you'll forgive me if I'm having a "city farmgirl" moment, but I REALLY think you need to sit hubby down and teach him to be more supportive of YOU in this instance. Or, at least get him to clean during the week :)

Big Hugs!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  8:35:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lynn,
It sounds like they really wanted someone to work full-time in the first place and they dangled the carrot of partnership just to get you there. Partnerships are usually put in writing up front if they're serious. I wouldn't beat yourself up over this and I would see if you could write your new clothes off as a business expense. I would take special note on how they did things in their company, good and bad, and benchmark this experience for your own company. ; ) I would accept any work from them and my prices would go up a little too.
Good Luck, Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  6:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Thanks everybody. I appreciate all the insights, very much.

If I'm really honest with myself, I will tell you I am tired of graphic design. I'm looking to change everything right now. I've become something of a hippie, really - a friend calls me an activist though I really think of myself as an informant. I do a lot, lot, lot of reading to keep up with what is going on in our country and with our food here - stuff I know most of you know all about and care about too.

I'm also really drawn to plants, and the outdoors. I could spend my life out there. I don't care really how much money I make, but I know I'd love to work for/own an organic nursery.

Anyway, I am laying plans to use those interests - they probably will not make money right away, but maybe they will do OK. I think now, after this past debauchle, I'm looking for what my path and calling really is supposed to be.

In the meantime, I am back with my own little company and loving it. Back to cooking real, wholesome meals for dinner, and spending time in my garden and watching it grow. I keep weird hours with my business at the moment, but I'm running it how I want to.

Thanks ladies! (((hugs))

PS: Tina, you are right, I can deduct those clothes. Makes me feel a little better.
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  10:47:46 PM  Show Profile
Well now Lynn, you are sounding an awful lot like me. I just turned down a job creating a farmer's market in North Carolina. I've been an artist for some time alongside that. When I first arrived in NYC, I worked full time as a vet tech in an office wih very demanding staff and some serious high brow clients with some serious demands. People thought my job must be heaven because I work with animals. Well, the animal part was fine but the other 60% was making me MISERABLE. So, I eventually went part time and focused on my other love, arts. Finally, this year, I left altogether and work taking care of pets in people's homes. I work loose hours, I have more time--maybe not as much money, but I am also transitioning outdoors, or something more farm oriented.

Umm...I might have posted a blog about it here and there...but anyhoo, the point is that everyone deserves to do what makes them happy. It's definitely not a bad thing, then, that you left that stifling company. :)

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And Blogs:
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  08:24:09 AM  Show Profile
Lynn, I think weight be neighbors. I live in Plainville. We just moved here in Feb. I am going back and forth from here and Buford Ga. I am staying with my daughter and grands and husband. At the end of last month the 1 job I had the chiropractor let me go because I was sick. He said he needed someone reliable. I had been with him for the opening of his business. I was a 1099 but, we had to work a schedule. So I am going to go to the labor board and see what I can do. I understand what you mean about wanting to do something more than what you are doing. I to have become some-what of a hippie again. I am 51 so I grew up in that era. I am hoping to open a salon in Plainville and have my own business. I am a Master Cosmetologist and a Licensed Massage Therapist. I hope things look up for you....If we are neighbors maybe we can get together and chat sometime about what we would like to change in our lives.
Chat soon
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  08:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Hi Deborah, we are indeed pretty close to each other. I'm guessing about a half-hour drive away. I'll email you, or you can contact me from www.blueskydesigngroup.com Would love to talk to someone else who is going through life changes.

Zan, I hear you! I have decided that I have run into a brick wall every time I have looked to steady employment. Either I always hate it, or the job changes and I wind up hating it. It never works out. Ever. So I need to figure out what I need to do from here, and how to get there. It's taking longer than I would like, but I am trying to be patient. I'm a big gardener, and gardeners learn to be long on patience.

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  09:26:17 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'm rooting for you, Lynn :)

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

And Blogs:
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  10:53:00 AM  Show Profile
Lynn, I just emailed you....

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Feythe
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Jana
Decatur GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  8:05:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lynn,
Good for you for listening to your intuition. I worked in a full-time corporate job for many years, but the last 10 have worked from home after taking the plunge. Some years have been really rough, but overall, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Some people need a social, daily work environment to thrive, but I've found that being a contractor really suits me. Tip to share with you: something I say to myself when a plan doesn't work out is, "My good lies elsewhere." And we can say it with conviction, because it's really true! Finding our yellow brick road is a process and not always easy, but we have helpers along the way.

"Disappointment is drawing conclusions too soon." - Abraham-Hicks

All is Well.
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Merger didn't work out, totally bummed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page