Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  10:42:05 AM  Show Profile
I'm moving to south eastern Washington at the end of June!! Yay!!

AND soo, I've been considering some different ideas for little ways to supplement my income from my job. My living expenses are going to go up a tad when I move, and I'm trying to brainstorm some projects or such that will bring in a bit of moolah.

Any of you ladies have ideas? What do you find to be productive? Your etsy shops? Ebay selling?

My boyfriend's mother brought up medical transcription. Anybody here do that? Know anything about it? She thought it might be something I could do around my normal work hours, but I'm not sure if I'd need any formal training.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  11:00:17 AM  Show Profile
Jodi

You can try at home customer service. Alpine Access and Live Ops are real. MSN reccomends these companies. They pay 9-10 dollars per hour. You need a phone and computer and can set your own hours. Typically you will need to commit to 20 hours per week. How it works is that you take orders for items. If you see an ad for BowFlex and there is an 800 number that number is being routed to someones home. Basically these jobs are taking the place of call centers.

hope this helps

small farms give big benefits
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2008 :  9:54:21 PM  Show Profile
Hmm, I like that idea, actually. Do you know websites or contact info for those companies? I might just do a search online in the morning to see if I can find more details--I'm interested in finding out more about them. :)

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  2:16:12 PM  Show Profile
Where are you moving in SE Washington? Just curious.

Marcia

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  3:58:08 PM  Show Profile
Walla Walla county! :D I can't wait!

Go to Top of Page

nelia48
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Cora
Spring Hill FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  4:50:20 PM  Show Profile
I did medical transcription and my sister does it now in her home. Do you know medical terminology quite well? It does pay well, but you have to be fast, as Dr.'s what it back promptly. Find out what the going rate is in your area. My sister has the tapes mailed to her and she emails the finished product back to them, so there is no travel time involved. It used to be she would have to drive all over town, come home and type, print it out and drive it all back. Now she doesn't have to do that anymore. If you have any questions, ask away! Cora

http://hiddenrichessecretplaces.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  11:21:36 AM  Show Profile
Walla Walla is 66 miles west of us! You'll love it there. Very nice place. Lot of vineyards and wineries. There is a great Farmer's Market there too.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  1:01:00 PM  Show Profile
Tamara, thanks for the good info. As soon as DSL/cable comes to Bonners Ferry, ID, I am so going to do customer service and save it all for an RV.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2008 :  4:17:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh, that's GREAT to hear! I was really hoping they'd have a nice farmer's market! Are there farmgirl chapters around there...?

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  5:36:11 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Marcie where are you? I am in Prosser
Jodi - I have family in the walla walla/touchet area. They do have an awesome farmers market as well as a great store in College place called ANDY"S you'll have to check it out.... My mom isnt a farmgirl per say - but works downtown walla walla at the christian supply center - she is always up for new friends:)

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  07:14:47 AM  Show Profile
Rene, I've heard of Andy's. Don't they sell some bulk foods? I can't remember now, it's been too long. Seems like my mum got a brochure or catalog or such from them once... hmm...

~Jodi

Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  4:59:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I just wanted to let you know my take on Ebay selling. I have been selling on Ebay since 2002 and it is not that great. If you have something really unusual and unique you might get enough bids to make it worthwhile. Always look at how the item(s) you want to sell are actually selling for before you list. You might be suprised how poorly some things sell for and it is not worth your time. There are lots of fees involved in selling on Ebay, your listing fees, final value fees, paypal fees. Ebay keeps raising fees and the final value fee is going up to 8.25% and they add in the shipping charges as part of the final value.
My user name is idcityrose if you want to look at my ratings but I list infrequently. Also you do pay for your listing even if it does not sell, of course there is no final value fee for non-selling items.
One great tip if you do decide to try it: contact the postal service and sign up for priority mail boxes. They will provide them for free, even ship to you for free, just for using their services. I love priority mail as things ship quickly so less time at the post office to get lost or damaged. The buyer pays for shipping so you pass that cost on.
The recession has also hurt sales (postage costs have also gone up) so look around at what you have to sell and see if those items are selling BEFORE you list. I do OK sometimes, other times I really don't break even after the time involved in packaging and shipping.
I am going to open an Etsy shop very soon. I think this might be a better route for me to go. I do have a full time job and lots of meetings each week so not a great deal of time to list things. My etsy shop will be for our chapters (Mountain Farmgirls of Idaho City) members so will be a variety of things from jewelry, to clothing!
I hope this helps, I really am finding ebay a losing deal these days.

Some people look for happiness; others create it!

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Supplemental income? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page