Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 How did you find out about MaryJanesFarm?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic How did you find out about MaryJanesFarm? Next Topic
Page: of 2

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  09:00:39 AM  Show Profile
It would be interesting to hear how ya'll found out about Mary Jane Farms and made your way to the website & forum. So spill it...when did you first find out and how?

For me, it was about 3 or 4 years ago at Thanksgiving dinner with the family and my aunt showed me one of the magazines. I looked over it I dunno a million times that day reading the stories, looking at the photos. Then she told me that she was having her stuff in the magazine to sell. It was a nice "treasure hunt" to go on whenever I found out a new magazine was out. We had only one store that had the magazine.

I was able to get a few bumper stickers and I placed one on my mandolin case and one on the backglass of my truck when I had it and now on my car. When I carried the mandolin around, folks said they saw my farmgirl sticker first and asked where I got it. It's the one that has the little girl that looks like Mary Jane and says "Wave if you're a farmgirl."

During a state convention with my old job, we were near a Borders bookstore. The girls I usually were with always wanted to know where to get the magazine. Well I saw a huge stack of them and ended up buying them all but one. We always had a "small gift exchange" and my gift to them was the magazine.

To this day, I think Mary Jane's magazine is the only one that I've ever kept with the exception of a couple of photography magazines. The writing, the photography, and the feeling of family always comes across while reading the books and magazines.

I got onto the board back in 05 after seeing all the stories of other farmgirls. I participated in the Traveling Dolls, which were a hoot to have and enjoy for a few days and take photos with them. I did the mailart early on and I've done a few swaps.

So girls....how did you find out about Mary Jane Farms?

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  09:12:54 AM  Show Profile
I was in a Tractor Supply store,I always go straight to their books and magazines. I saw this book with MaryJane's Farm on it. Of course being a Mary Jane myself and a confirmed country girl, I grabbed this book and started reading.I was hooked. I got the book and went to the website and here I am. I should be getting her magazine soon. I had more trouble finding that than anything! Now I am subscribing.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  09:55:44 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I were killing time before we went to dinner in Hyde Park with his parents, so we stopped into this really nice bookseller called Joseph Beth. They usually have a table set up in the front, when you enter the door with a focus item...this time, it was almost like centrifigal force that I was pulled to this table...the whole table was set with Mary Jane's Farm (the Idea Book), notecards, journals, etc...I thought all of the notecards and accoutrements were so adorable, but it was when I actually opened the Idea Book to a section about cleaning vintage linens, I didn't even look at the price, I just knew it was for me. After reading the Idea book from cover to cover, I bought a subscription to the magazine, and that's how I found the forum.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  10:35:42 AM  Show Profile
I found out about MJF when I saw the Ideabook through my book club about 2 years ago. I have since bought 6 copies of it and 3 copies of Stitching room, given as gifts (all loved, of course).
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  10:59:23 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
You know, I can't actually remember. Isn't that silly?? I think I was searching "farmgirl" and this website popped up.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  11:04:40 AM  Show Profile
I am one of the oldies with Mary Jane funny how she has stayed so young and I have got so old. Now if that dont tell the good for her organic food I dont know what would. Any way I met her as you all know in Texas at Zapp Hall antique show. I was always having different ones come in and promising things about my merchandise so when Mary Jane talked to me I thought well I would never hear from her again. How wrong I was, about two weeks later , I got a phone call, since that day she has had my undieing love.As I have told you before words can not say what she and her family mean to me, now if she gets me started on the organic food I might just get as young as her.

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  11:22:20 AM  Show Profile
I found out through Gracie-katmom! How blessed I am that she did!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee
Farmgirl Sister #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  11:30:00 AM  Show Profile
I received a MJF magazine from my daughter, 'cuz she knew this was right up my ally... I was very impressed with the magazine, went straight to my computer & joined up...and have been blessed to meet the most wonderful, creative, talented caring ladies of all ages...
Thanx MaryJane for bring us all together.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
www.katmom44.blinkz.com

Edited by - katmom on Apr 05 2008 11:31:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  11:58:07 AM  Show Profile
I saw the "Art of the Egg" issue of the magazine for sale at Barnes and Noble one time on a trip up north to Provo and have been addicted ever since.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  12:21:54 PM  Show Profile
Rose turned me on to all of this. She had been following MaryJane for a few years with articles in the papers and such (Rose collects articles of successful, can-do women for inspiration). After she read a few of the articles, I was hooked and truly inspired myself. In my opinion, there is no finer person on the planet to aspire to emulate than MaryJane!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  5:11:07 PM  Show Profile
My mom ran across her book at a garage sale for $2. She fell in love with it and knew I would love it so bought me one for Christmas. I joined this site a few months later and am blessed to be surrounded by like-minded people!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt B
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Terri
Chillicothe OH
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  8:53:37 PM  Show Profile
I first saw the magazines in Phoenix, at Walmart, a few years back before moving back to Ohio.

I found this wonderful group of ladies while searching the internet for information about aprons, one of my loves. I found you all, I guess it was meant to be!

Proud Farmgirl Sisterhood #168, Aunt B
http://www.hummingbirdsprings.blogspot.com
http://www.hummingbirdsprings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  8:55:08 PM  Show Profile
What kindof crazy person would put Mary Jane's book at a garage sale?!?!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

cathy cobblestone
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

cathy
greensburg ky
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2008 :  8:58:28 PM  Show Profile
I found out about Mary Jane through her biggest cheerleader in my neck of the woods - Frannie! She couldn't say enough great things about her - and after I actually got to meet Mary Jane - I totally understood why she sang her praises. So now I'm hooked and everybody I tell gets hooked too - her energy is contagious. So, thank you Frannie, thanks for the introduction and for your incredible efforts in securing Mary Jane and her sweet farmgirls' visit to our wonderful Greensburg, KY. What an incredibly positive influence you both have made on my life! Cathy

www.cobblestonefarms.blogspot.com
www.cobblestonefarmsgiftshop.com

Today is a gift, live it!
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2008 :  07:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
I was in line at Whole Foods and saw this beautiful cover with eggs on it (I think)I picked up the mag and knew I had to have it! I went home and brewed a cup of tea and read it cover to cover. That was it! I was hooked.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2008 :  08:49:57 AM  Show Profile
I found the No Place Like Home issue at our local Kroger, bought it, brought it home, read the whole thing and went back to buy the other 2 copies to share with my sisters. I've been hooked ever since. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2008 :  12:05:50 PM  Show Profile
In years past I recall parusing the magazine.

A few years ago we were going through that yearly plague of ladybugs invading the inside of our house, and I did a google search to see if there was any information about this pain in the neck problem

The web site popped up,,,,did in fact answer the question quite completely and also provided a connection to other farm girls out there with similar interests.

I made sure to save the web address in my favorites and got into the habit of checking in every couple days.

It's been so helpful and like having pen pals from all over

You guys are the best!
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2008 :  2:27:21 PM  Show Profile
I was just learning about organic things and very interested in anything I could read on the subject---I was in Kroger's at the magazine rack and there it was. I had no idea who, what , or where this magazine came from, but it had organic on its cover. I bought it, read it cpver to cover in one sitting,and the rest is history. Interesting that since I bought that magazine about 3 years ago, I have not seen another in our Kroger's in Lake Charles. I guess it was meant just for me !!!! Hee hee
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2008 :  2:43:16 PM  Show Profile
I know, I couldn't believe anyone would sell her book at a garage sale...and for only $2!! That lady must have been crazy!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2008 :  4:33:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KYgurlsrbest

My husband and I were killing time before we went to dinner in Hyde Park with his parents, so we stopped into this really nice bookseller called Joseph Beth. They usually have a table set up in the front, when you enter the door with a focus item...this time, it was almost like centrifigal force that I was pulled to this table...the whole table was set with Mary Jane's Farm (the Idea Book), notecards, journals, etc...

Holy cow Jonni - I SO remember that display! I thought it was the coolest thing to see and a great promotional tool. It was up on the top floor right there by the door at the "intersection" where you turn left or right or go downstairs. Great location and eyecatching.

I'm loving hearing how everyone found out about the farm, website, and board. Keep em coming! :-)

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2008 :  4:52:19 PM  Show Profile
I bought her magazine a few years ago, and the rest is history. Love it here.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2008 :  6:59:00 PM  Show Profile
I was an avid reader of the forums at www.welltellme.com which is a site all about healthy eating and living, and there was a post where we all listed our favorite websites, and someone listed MaryJanesFarm. I zipped on over and was hooked right away. I got the Idea book from the library to find out more, and as soon as I got it home and read a few pages I ordered one of my own. MaryJane has inspired me in so many ways, and its funny to say she's truly changed my life!

Farmgirl Sister #138
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2008 :  9:03:25 PM  Show Profile
I believe I bought my first issue of MJF at Barnes and Nobles bookstore in Mobile, Alabama in 2004 but I didn't get on the website or forum until 2005 and didn't get active on the forum until May of last year.

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Apr 06 2008 9:05:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  10:13:44 AM  Show Profile
Keep em coming girls...I love hearing these stories and I'm sure Mary Jane does too!

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  10:15:58 AM  Show Profile
Exactly, Jess! I love Joseph Beth...they take all the time in the world to make books "wanted"...

Go to Top of Page

Sage
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Pam
Worland Wyoming
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  2:10:09 PM  Show Profile
About two years ago my daughter Alee began talking about this absolutely wonderful place she had found. An organic farm run by a kind, genrerous, supportive person - Mary Jane. Then I started reading the posts on the forum that Alee mentioned so often. I fell in love with the friendly chat back and forth, the caring atmosphere and the wealth of information the farmgirls have to share. Then I started bartering and what fun!!!! Sage :)

Farmgirl sister #140
www.heritagedesigns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic How did you find out about MaryJanesFarm? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page