Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 chicks on Friday....now I'm worried !
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic chicks on Friday....now I'm worried ! Next Topic
Page: of 2

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  05:19:45 AM  Show Profile
Anna I knew about Mt. Healthy hatchery they are just 2 hours away from me. But thanks for the info tho ! Our local feed dealers usually carry them. They just didn't have the breeds I was looking for. I think I have about all the breeds they carry on my farm.
I know Ideal is not responsible for the crushed box..believe me I know that someone through the postal service was careless. I just wished Ideal would put a tracking number on their chick shipments so they could be tracked. That was my complaint with them otherwise they were super nice when I called them .When i called Ideal they shipped when they said they were going to its just the post office missed putting them on the truck. If I hadn't called the post office and insisted they check in KY. They would have sat another day.But it worked out and I have a few more grey hairs !!! Part of the job of loving animals I guess.

My chicks are doing super now. Glad to have them. I already have 22 chickens total from over the years. Some of them are 10 years old and some are just 2. They are good girls and I am slowly losing the older ones little by little.I never new some breeds of chickens could get to be so old.

I wanted some really different chickens than I am use to having.
I ordered Barnvelders,Salmon Favorelles, Partridge Chantecleres,Speckled Sussux, Buckeys (had to have those since I live in Ohio) and Welsummers. They all looked like intersting breeds and all lay brown eggs. I read the Buckeye breed was developed in Ohio around 1936 by a lady just for Ohio. I thought that was kinds neat. I can't wait to see what these chickens look like once they grow up.
Well I'm off to the barn to feed my nubies.....and April has still not had her babies. This makes day 4 she is over. More grey hairs coming.....lol
Linda

Each day is precious...take a few of those minutes for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  05:43:58 AM  Show Profile
I am sorry your experience was bad. Hopefully, the chicks will be strong and you will get all of the birds you have ordered.

We have ordered meat birds every year and egg layers every other and they all survived. The hatchery generally puts in a couple extra too.

We have used most of the hatcheries mentioned and they are shipped on Tuesday and arrive 5a on Thursday.

I did have a scare one year, we ordered from 2 different hatcheries and expected the 5a call. No call until 10a with only one box. It was not until late in the afternoon I received another call for my other shipment.

There was a year no hatchery would ship because of the scare of the bird virus'. So, they have changed who can be a carrier (airlines).

We used our incubator for awhile and at night we would stick some new chicks under a hen. We have only had one hen who stayed on her eggs long enough to hatch out a clutch.

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

http://lilsfamilyfarm.blogspot.com

Chapter http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mrsmorgen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

morgen
coudersport pa
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  05:47:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh i am so glad th chicks are ok! I would have run to get them too. I am so sad about the other half that didnt make it! Mine are shipping today and I am so worried about them. poor little things. Welsummers is a beautiful name, I have to go look them up!
morgen

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..
laura ingalls wilder
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  06:49:48 AM  Show Profile
It finally happened. April finally had her babies !!! I thought she had 2 because that is what she always has.After helping the second boy out I got a bonus and it was a girl !!! She practically rifled out ! They are all very good size for trips. Last year I had 5 sets of trips. This year I only had 1 set of trips and 1 set of quads. I have 14 babies total on the ground. More than I need...8 boys and 6 girls. But at least kidding is done for the year. I am tuckered out as much as they are. What took 1 hour to do chore wise is now taking 2 1/2 hours twice a day. I am supplementing the quads with bottles and will start with the trips too.
Chicks are still doing fantastic. I love the ones that look like chickmunks....I think the Barnvelders and Welsummers are the ones that look that way from the discription on My Pet Chicken Website. Its cool to get something different for a change. Still love my old standbys....they have been good girls.
Well gonna go and feed myself now. Going to have poached eggs and homemade cardamon bread. I'm am starving.Take care.
Linda

Each day is precious...take a few of those minutes for yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2008 :  03:25:15 AM  Show Profile
I firmly agree about the tracking number.

Wonder why they don't use one?

I'd have been livid too

We now have 55 chickens of various ages. The youngest are doing very well. Half were graduated to a larger coop outside. The silkies are still in an out building where I can continue to get my hands on them. IDEAL had partridge silkies this year which are very pretty, and I also ordered 3 Milli Feur or whoever you spell it. The millies are so calm. Their feathers are soft but not puffy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic chicks on Friday....now I'm worried ! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page