Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Yarrow for animals Next Topic  

GoatMama
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

The Scrublands of Eastern Washington
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  6:23:41 PM  Show Profile
My poor doggy has an inflamed salivary gland. It looks like he is growing another head on his neck! The vet can't get him in for a while, so I'm wondering if I can treat him with yarrow for the inflammation? Has anyone used yarrow for inflammation? Is there a better herb I could use for that? Is it okay for dogs to have yarrow? Thanks.

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2008 :  06:18:16 AM  Show Profile
GoatMama,
I will use yarrow tincture on myself and DH for internal (sore throat/congestion) and external infection treatment, but have no idea if it is anti-inflammatory, or how it would do on our canine buddies.
How long before the vet can see him, and can his office recommend any home treatments in the meantime? Wouldn't that sort of inflammation respond better to hot compress treatments? Those were recommended when my dog had inflamed/infected anal glands. Just use a rag or cloth soaked in hot (not scalding)water and hold it against the inflamed area until it cools. Repeat several times until the water cools, and repeat process 2-3 per day.

You could probably add the yarrow to the water for this process, which would likely be safer than administering the yarrow to your dog internally.

Good luck!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Apr 02 2008 06:20:02 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Yarrow for animals Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page