Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Purchasing Herb Plants / Seeds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Purchasing Herb Plants / Seeds Next Topic  

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2007 :  9:20:55 PM  Show Profile
Is there any particular nursery that would be best to go with? I can do most annuals from seed, but perennials, I was planning on purchasing starts, bulbs or tubers from a nursery. Any reccomendations!?!?
Thanks
Cristine

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  07:41:17 AM  Show Profile
Bump!

Just bumping this up for other farmgirls in the Commonwealth of Virginia to share their sources if they would ... another Virginia Farmgirl wants to know!
Understandably, each region has its' own individual nurseries, but are there any in our state that can be personally recommended?

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2008 :  4:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Go local! Talk to your farm co-op, the gals at your farm market who sell herbs (if you can track them down at this tie of year) or, of course, local herb farmers with plants to sell. Then there is the wonderful Virginia Cooperative Extension for resources and tips. The one at VA Tech is the granddaddy http://www.ext.vt.edu/ . Local COunty Extension offices often either sponsor or know about nonprofit programs that include plant sales -- great specimens, great prices, good causes. James Madison University has a big plant sale every year at the Carrier Arboretum, I think. Then there's the wonderful one at Oatlands in late spring (that's neaer Leesburg). I frankly don't know of any commercial nurseries I'd recommend, but would love to hear of some.

If you're anywhere near Washington DC, the Bishop's Garden at National Cathedral on Wisconsin Avenue sells great herbs that are well worth the slight extra price considering what a fabulous getaway your otherwise free visit will be. BRING YOUR CAMERA!

Also for farmgirls willing to drive a bit, there's the Smile Herb Shop in College Park, Maryland, and Behnke's (pronounced Benk'-eez) Nursery near the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center (home of Jim Duke, author of Green Medicine -- he got hooked at Smile, by the way). The center is near the University of Maryland's College Park campus on Route 1, IIRC. Smile is off Route 1 just inside the Beltway. You could hit all three places in one easygoing day. Smile's Web site is http://www.smileherb.com/ . You should probably e-mail Tom or Linda to ask when/if they'll be selling herb plants this year from their big garden out back.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2008 :  4:35:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Rosemary! Some great tips, and I totally forgot about Oatlands! That's an easy and pretty drive for me!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2008 :  8:42:04 PM  Show Profile
Jo, if you make it to Oatlands this year, why not let me know? Maybe we could meet and share a drink under one of the nice shade trees.

I'll try to remember to post the dates for the herb sale when I see notices beginning to appear here.

Mara
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  10:53:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mara,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I was waiting for the Calendar of Events to be posted at the Oatlands website: FINALLY!

http://www.oatlands.org/ce/list.asp

Unfortunately, no plant or herb show is listed for this year. So, I called to find out if they are planning one at all.

The person answering at Oatlands said that No, they won't be having any plant or herb show this year. (sad face.)

Can't wait to get my stuff planted. I already bought a gorgeous Rosemary plant and have been keeping it inside during cold nights... it is going to take center stage in my planned-out-to-the-ninth-degree 2008 Herb Garden. Only 15 more herbs to go...

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  3:31:16 PM  Show Profile
Aw, Jo, that's such sad news, indeed! I wonder if they've abandoned the whole herb show idea from now on. Seems to me they would have said something about 2009 if they were skipping years nowadays. Rats!

Be sure you give that Rosemary plant a place to hide from drying winds (especially in winter)! They like to be up against a sunny wall rather than out in the open.

I've been filling in my bare spots through Johnny's Seeds this year. I ordered a Seeds of Change catalog back in January and never got it, even after a=calling them; they assured me it was on its way, just a little late. That was early March. Hmm.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." Stephen Colbert
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Purchasing Herb Plants / Seeds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page