Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hog Manure for Power Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  1:16:16 PM  Show Profile
Well, girls, this is probably the stinkiest post that I've made so far..... BUT, how timely!!

Here's an article on converting a whole small town to biofuel from neighboring hog farms. Sounds like a plan to me!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050913/od_nm/life_manure_dc

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  1:33:02 PM  Show Profile
Instead of killowatts, will it be baconwatts??

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  1:36:40 PM  Show Profile
You kill me Meadowlark!! We do need more of this type of fuel though. Maybe the oil companies will think twice!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  2:10:39 PM  Show Profile
I have a friend in MA who heats the water tank in her barn all winter with composting horse manure. It keeps the water warm enough to never go below freezing.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  2:14:19 PM  Show Profile
Of course, Robin! That makes perfect sense to me. I mean, how many times did I see steaming rising from the manure pile at the farm? Perfect use for it, isn't it? WE need to listen to our ancestors and begin to reuse some of their wisdom on dealing with things such as this!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  2:41:47 PM  Show Profile
Greetings from rainy wisconsin,
Just had to put in my 2 cents here. There is a book I have mentioned before called the Humaneur Handbook, It talks about how to compost all of the human maneur safely for use in your gardens and yards. Our kids out here in Wisconsin have been doing this for 3 years now and it seems to be a very efficient system. So the town recovering the manuer for fuel is a wonderful idea. The eventual recovery of the human maneur as a bio resource is also a great idea that is being done in a lot of other countries of the world and the author of the book spends some time in his book discussing the benefits to our environment if we as a country did this. There is a huge benefit to our water resource as well as our inefficient sewage systems. After reading this book I have done a lot of thinking and changing how we at our house dispose of a lot of things not just the human maneur. When done correctly there is no odor or damage to the environment and the pathogens are destroyed. I say horray for this town and its willingness to become one of the first in our country.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hog Manure for Power Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page