Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need Ideas for Anniversary Next Topic  

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  6:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
My hubby and I are coming up on our 5-year anniversary. We want to do something nice and make it special, as the last three years we have done nothing for our anniversary due to money concerns. Or Christmas, actually...

Also we have been through some very stressful times. In fact, as I type this, I'm trying to remember the last time our lives were normal! I think it was 6 months into our marriage, before we bought our first home. lol.

We are ALWAYS working. We first remodeled our house, then bought a rental and remodeled it, then bought another rental and fixed it up. Then we had the tenant from HADES that threatened legal problems. Then we had three hurricanes go right over our house. Then we started house-hunting and looking at GA. Then we sold our house. Then we moved to GA - into a terrible fixer-upper of a house. Then we sold one of the rentals. Now we have nearly sold the other rental (closes Mon, we think). Meanwhile we've been fixing up the new house in GA. Then I herniated a disk.

That brings us to the present. And it doesn't mention the side projects we always get sucked into by family or friends, him working full time, me running two businesses (three for a while) the stress of working with an abused dog, or the myriad of other stresses that hit people in day-to-day lives.

We need to do something nice, preferably relaxing - especially since my back is still in rough shape! If we go somewhere, it has to be doggie friendly because I can't think of anyone who would want to watch our rotten furbabies. A kennel would be really traumatic!

We're willing to spend a few hundred. Haven't put a dollar figure on it yet. DH has a week off the same week as our anniversary(!), so with the weekends that comes out to 11 days. Even if we just stayed home and visited some cool places in driving distance, it might be nice. We are finally close to having the in-law suite finished and should be all moved in by October. October is also peak season for color here, I'm told.

We live in NW Georgia - 45 min. south of Chattannooga, an hour or so from Birmingham, and an hour and a half from Atlanta.

LifeSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kathy
DeKalb IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  08:14:31 AM  Show Profile
I don't know much about Georgia, but because I am a library geek I'll suggest this: Check out the travel section of your library (usually 917ish in the Dewey decimal system--I'm such a nerd). There are lots of books on Georgia, some by Fodors or Lonely Planet, and some even highlight the "out-of-the-way" or obscure things to do in your area.

Good luck! It sounds like you've earned a good long relaxing time. Best wishes to you!
Cheers,
Kathy

http://getyourhookon.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  08:51:36 AM  Show Profile
Maybe you should get what the spas call a couples massage. I have been wanting to take my hubby to get one. I don't know how much it costs or anything. Basically you go together to get a massage. I have been sooo stressed out lately so I can relate. I keep thinking my poor tense muscles could sure use a massage. It's not something I normally do. It could be a nice treat.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  08:53:52 AM  Show Profile
Some kind of retreat sounds like what you need. I don't know about Georgia either so I'm not usre whats in driving distance. A spa sounds like it could feel real good for you guys. I don't know what you guys are into though. There are so many different kinds of retreat places. I think Lonely Planet has a website you could check out, finding an out of the way place always sounds good to me.
www.lonelyplanet.com found ya a link to lonely planet

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  06:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Thanks girls!
I will check out Lonely Planet and see what we come up with. One place a nice, scenic, hour and a half drive through the mountains from here is Helen, GA, which was settled originally by Germans and has mostly German architechture. They've made it a tourist attraction but there are restaurants, museums (one museum even permits well-behaved dogs) and best of all: our favorite winery is just outside Helen. We can stock up AND get some for folks for Christmas. So that's one stop! If we need to stay overnight there is also a doggie-friendly hotel (see how crazy we are about our dogs?).

Kathy, I shall check the library - thank you!

Ordinarily our favorite retreats are hiking and camping - the kind of camping where there are no other campers for at least a mile. We like the quiet!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  07:14:39 AM  Show Profile
Yeah Lynn that sounds like a really nice trip. I would love to visit a winery but DH can't stand the stuff. I would 2nd the spa massage that would be real relaxing. DH and my idea of a nice relaxing time is to go camping. We love to be outdoors, you can take the dogs, and it's cheap. It's something where you could be alone and enjoy it. By the way...HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

Edited by - lonestargal on Sep 10 2005 07:15:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  6:36:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lynn
I didn't know you had a bad back? We use the http://www.georgiaonmymind.org/
They send me emails of specials. It is how I found Dahlonega and why I want to go to Barnsley.
With your back is sitting in a car to travel hurt? Just north of georgia in the mountains of NC is a virgin forest.Joyce Kilmer can't be beat to salve the soul.Huge magic pink floyd like forest and waterfalls and trout!
this http://gorp.away.com/gorp/publishers/foghorn/dog_geor.htm
tells you Dog-Walking Clayton and Henry Counties parks
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  11:18:52 PM  Show Profile
This is what we were planning but it was too cloudy so we just went out for a nice dinner instead, but we were going to pack a picnic lunch, and a thermos with something warm to drink, and take the telescope, and some warm fuzzy blankets out to do some stargazing. You can get a cheap telescope for 150.00-200.00, and a star guide at a second hand book store.. maybe next year we will have better luck.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  06:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I'm hoping my back will be better by early October and I can sit in a car for at least an hour at a time! www.georgiaonmymind.org is a great site, we go there a lot - much to do here in GA and the state parks are in great shape.

Stargazing sounds fun, Bobbi! What a neat idea. :)
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  08:34:42 AM  Show Profile
My best friend and her husband have a cabin rental business in Blue Ridge, GA. We stayed in one a year or two ago - very beautiful views of mountains, rushing rivers, etc. Helen, GA wasn't very far away. Check it at www.cabin-rentals-of-georgia.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Need Ideas for Anniversary Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page