Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Anyone else trying to lose weight?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anyone else trying to lose weight? Next Topic
Page: of 5

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  9:51:30 PM  Show Profile
Linda -- glad you're here. I excited to say that I got on the scale today and I've lost a total of 20 and a half pounds!!! I'm taking it 10 lbs at a time because if I think of the 100+ lbs I need to lose it's too discouraging. I'm surprised I lost any weight this last week because I bought a bag of those Halloween pumpkin candies (like candy corn). In three days I ate the whole bag!!!

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

Park Avenue
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Michele
Paradise Valley Alberta
Canada
57 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  05:57:08 AM  Show Profile
wonderful Kay!
I can not keep any halloween candy in the house until the day before.
There have been years I bough the candy 3 times!
Michele
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2005 :  2:06:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,
I found a great article...
http://www.unknowncountry.com/diary/
Boy, Anne really hit home with me!
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2005 :  2:06:35 PM  Show Profile
So I've finally lost a sixth pound. Geez, this is going slowly, but it is happening, so I can't complain too much. My husband and I have been going on long hikes every Saturday into the forest preserve near our place. We then walk along a trail that was made of some old railroad tracks. We log somewhere between 4-6 miles on a good day. It's invigorating and I'm sore the next day, but it's a good sore.

I've also been lifting weights, in my ongoing ambition to be able to do a push up. I just went out and bought bigger dumbbells today because I've gotten too good for the small ones (no inferiority comoplexes, ladies. When I went to buy dumbbells, I bought 2 and 3 pound ones. I've just bought my first set of 5 pounders. Nothing huge). Baby steps.
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  10:33:33 AM  Show Profile
Well, here's an update. I started Weight Watchers on 9/28 and I'm down 8lbs as of today. I know if I start exercising I'll do even better, but that's where I get stuck. Years ago I loved to exercise, now the love affair is over. I'm finding it pretty easy sticking to the diet. When I get night cravings, I eat cucumber slices in vinegar/sugar/water. It's such a strong taste that it takes away any cravings. Besides I love it! I have stopped eating salt. I will still lightly salt my food, but I don't eat it straight from the shaker anymore. The craving seems to have disappeared. Hope all you ladies are doing well. Hang in there. Jan
Go to Top of Page

potterygirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Tracy
Ironton Missouri
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  5:18:27 PM  Show Profile
Greetings....Six, Twenty...even two pounds are GREAT!!!! Job well done ladies!!! I totally understand with the Halloween Candy. Use to I would buy bowls full because it looked nice during the October month, BUT, I was the one who ate it before the kids came around! Now, I buy it the day of. My brother has lost almost 25 pounds on WW! I have never tried it....but, it still seems to be working by making everything from scratch....no sugar OR salt! I believe in it for myself! Keep going and best wishes! tln
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  3:33:33 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!!

If you did not see the Oprah show today on Heart health and overall health for women, I would like to suggest that you go to Oprah.com to read about it. The message certainly got my attention since I need to drop 100lbs, exercise and clean up my diet.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  06:43:03 AM  Show Profile
Jan, have you thought about doing an exercise video? I'm totally self-conscious about people watching me exercise (except my husband. He thinks it's sexy). I mostly do videos at home.

Tracy and all other candy-eaters, I get what you mean. My husband recently got a can of Pringles and I ate almost the whole thing. I just can't trust myself around junk food. I get my sweet fix through nutella and chocolate milk, which for some reason, I'm much better able to eat in their proper serving sizes.

Connie, so glad to see you here. We take it one pound at a time. I would like to drop a total of about 40 pounds, though I'd be happy with 30. So far I've lost 6, and I've been at this for two months! It's frustrating, but it's a good thing to know I'm doing it the healthy way.

Speaking of heart health, my husband and I have taken to doing a little bit of running. We mapped out a path around our neighborhood that's exactly one mile. We were both able to get through running/walking the one mile both yesterday and the day before. I have 3 more goals:

1. To run 1 mile without stopping to walk
2. To run 1 mile in less than 10 minutes
3. Eventually, to increase my distance to 2 miles without stopping, and do it in less than 20 minutes (this is a far, far long term goal, but I'm confident that if we keep it up, we'll make it).

Now is the point where I have to tell you how proud I am of my husband. He was the "fat kid" in school up until he suddenly lost about 20 pounds and grew like 3 inches in the summer break between his sophomore and junior year of high school. He went to a small school in Rhode Island, and gym class, understandably, was hell for him. He's been putting on a little weight since we got married this summer, nothing major, but his pants are tight, and it really bothers him (he thinks he's that fat kid again). We attribute this weight gain to 3 things: 1. he used to work as an engineer on a construction site, which entailed lots of walking, 2. He now works at a desk job in an office where there's tons of free food available all the time, and 3. He really likes my cooking. He hadn't run a mile since he was in school, and when he had done it, he had to walk most of the way. He said that he was afraid, the first time we ran, that I would take off and zip around the block, while he would make it about 1 block, whimper in pain, and crawl home.

The first time we did it, he ran/walked at about the same pace I did. The second time, he thought the first time was a fluke and he wouldn't make it. Well, he totally outran me, and he didn't feel bad at the end at all. I'm so proud of him. I think he shaved at least 1 minute off his time between the first and second times (We didn't have a stopwatch, but I probably did about the same pace both times). I hope we can keep this up, because heart health is so important. We're both young people (he's 26 and I'm 29) and we both want to live long lives. This is a start.
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  06:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Amanda-I really should get out my step aerobics video. It's really not too bad to work out to. I'll put the step in the middle of my living room so I can't forget!
Connie-I saw the Oprah show you're talking about. Very graphic reminders of how important it is to take care of ourselves. My guy is 80lbs overweight and a lot of his weight is the "beer belly" they were talking about. I've told him over and over how dangerous that is. I talked to him last night and told him about the 40" waist measurement for a man and let it go at that. You can't force someone to take care of themselves.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  08:28:16 AM  Show Profile
Jan, I know what you mean. The hardest part is that guys don't like to admit it, but they're sensitive about their looks. You say, "Honey, I love you and I don't want to see you become unhealthy by gaining weight." He hears, "You're a fat, disgusting slob and I don't find you attractive anymore." Of course, we love our husbands and this couldn't be farther from the truth.

Ironically, they can't see this about themselves, even though we're trying to lose weight to be healthy, too, and I've never doubted for a minute that my husband finds me attractive. It's a subject that needs to be approached with a lot of love.

Edited by - ivmeer on Oct 20 2005 08:28:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

BillieKay
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

BillieKay
Centennial Wyoming
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2005 :  6:42:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi. I joined WW 6 weeks ago. I am doing the points thingie and have lost 20lbs. My mama has lost over a hundred lbs in the 9 months she's been doing it. I don't feel like I am on a diet. Plus I am learning how to eat.It really is a "life style" change. Good luck to everyone.
Bright Blessings,
BillieKay
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  11:03:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Congratulations BillieKay to you and your Mom! It's sounds like you're doing great. Are you both exercising along with your dieting? It sounds like you must be to have lost so much so quickly. I'm stuck right now holding steady for the last two weeks, but at least I haven't gained!! Keep us posted on your success.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  6:30:39 PM  Show Profile
Congrats to all those that have lost weight!!! I have not lost anything and I'm getting really ticked about it, of course it's my fault because even though I take a pilates class a few times a week, my eating habits are pure crap. The pilates alone isn't enough either, I need to ride my bike or walk or something. My problem is I don't know HOW to cook healthy. I live in Texas so everything is fried if you eat out, we eat a lot of Italian food and marrying into a Mexican family we eat A LOT of mexican food. I need to get my rear in gear and do something about it though before the weight keeps creeping up and up. You know it's bad when undies are getting tight !!!
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  09:51:06 AM  Show Profile
Kristi, you've got to buy a Moosewood cookbook! They're vegetarian/fish cookbooks put out by a restaurant in upstate NY. I recommend Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home and Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites

http://www.moosewoodrestaurant.com/cgi/store.cgi?cart_id=6879674.14495&page=./Html/merch_books.html
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  2:45:41 PM  Show Profile
Can I jump on the bandwagon? . I have now officially lost 30 lbs since June..woohoo! My favorite jean skirt hardly fits anymore, but I'm not complaining! I weigh 10 lbs. less now than at my lowest weight (in 10 years) 3 years ago (did that make sense?). I still have 20 more to go to goal-weight and am happy to see the support on here for all of us on this same journey!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  3:03:35 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Molly, that's great. Of course, you can jump on. I hope to keep this going until I reach my goal weight.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  6:01:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ivmeer

Kristi, you've got to buy a Moosewood cookbook! They're vegetarian/fish cookbooks put out by a restaurant in upstate NY. I recommend Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home and Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites

http://www.moosewoodrestaurant.com/cgi/store.cgi?cart_id=6879674.14495&page=./Html/merch_books.html

Are they all veggie/fish books? DH won't eat veggie meals, has to have meat and only eats MAYBE 3 types of veggies (I know, I'm still working on him to at least TRY something else) and none of us eat fish. Occasionaly I'll eat shrimp but that's it.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  07:02:45 AM  Show Profile
So if you husband won't eat vegetables, make them and eat them yourself. Yes, the cookbooks are veggie/fish, but mostly just veggie. There aren't a lot of fish recipes. Some of the recipes do have shrimp.
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  07:20:28 AM  Show Profile
I've been following along with you all for awhile and have gotten such helpful tips and you are all such an inspiration. I'm trying to get serious and get in shape-not just drop pounds, but eat better, exercise and just take good care of myself. I'm trying to do it slow and make small changes that will stick. I just made the switch from white bread to whole wheat/grain and fruit for snacks instead of cereal bars or other junk. I'm also walking more and doing situps and lifting 5 pound weights. I'm trying to add yoga and something aerobic on a regular basis. I'm a fast food junkie so I need to really work on that. Good luck to us all for continued success.
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  07:43:14 AM  Show Profile
I am also trying to lose weight~~ I have been having breakfast of cereal, mid morning snack of boiled egg and dry toast.Some of the whole grain and poppy seed is really good all by itself..Then a salad with some turkey lunch meat or something with another boiled egg-really makes it yummy and cuts down on my bread intake since I am not making a sandwhich...Then another mid noon snack of yogurt or fruit and a little peanut butter..and then dinner..Portions, portions, portions~~ I cut back on my dinner portion and not having to sacrifice my meal..
I need to loose about 30 lbs...and I have lost about 13..
Just in time for Thanksgiving!!! I may not be having smaller portions that day!!
Good luck and congrats to all who are trying to lose the extra pounds...
Jan
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  08:20:15 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Molly! You must be doing something right...I finally broke through this morning and lost another pound. I actually got off my couch and did some aerobics, maybe that did it. Does anyone watch "The Biggest Loser"? I can't believe how much those people lose in a week...10, 13lbs. I realize they're working out day and night, but that still is a lot to lose in one week. Jan
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  08:25:57 AM  Show Profile
Jan, if it makes you feel better, I read an article in a magazine about how much damage you really do from going off your diet. The article described a pretty extreme case: suppose you eat a pint of ice cream and 2 packs of M&M's in a night. According to the article, if you assume that you'd already reached your baseline needs for the day before you started eating the sweets, you'd be consuming a whopping 1,500 calories over for the day. That translates to a half a pound of fat. Not that much.

So go to the Thanksgiving table hungry, eat a little dessert after dinner, don't pig out on leftovers for a week, and don't weigh yourself for a while. I bet it won't do nearly as much damage as you think.
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  10:43:55 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jan~~from another Jan....I have been watching the Biggest Loser -I am not much for reality tv -but I think this one has such good motive..I cant believe the pounds those people have lost!..and how different they look!!What a major acomplishment for them~Dr Jeff has been the most remarkable to me...
Jan (from Illinois)
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  11:22:40 AM  Show Profile
I love "The biggest Loser", not only does it get you motivated, but you learn all the tricks of the trainers and how to eat better which is the secret to any good diet. I've read so much on dieting, from one extreme to the next, and come to realize, the best way to go about it is to take it slow, make life style changes, eat better foods, no junk, more whole grains, etc. And exercise is a must, even little steps turn into big steps! And having a place to vent like this is a key to success also, thanks for being here!!

" Age is mind over matter, if you don't mind, it dont' matter"

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  12:57:15 PM  Show Profile
Ok-I blew it today~~ We had "snack day" at work today and I HAD to try everything~~
Guess I'll get back on track tomorrow..

Didnt get a chance to mention..Last week , when I opened my salad container I bring to work, There was a worm inside...I generally buy the pre cut, bagged salad mix....It wasn't just a little worm...it was like a small tomato worm !!!! Yucky~~ And--It was still alive and well!!
At least it wasnt a half-o-worm!
It will be awhile before I can eat salad mix again...Head lettace is probably better for me anyway...
Jan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anyone else trying to lose weight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page