Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Never, NEVER put plastic in the microwave.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Never, NEVER put plastic in the microwave. Next Topic  

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  09:37:47 AM  Show Profile
A "microwave-safe" or "microwavable" label on plastic containers only means that they shouldn’t melt, crack or fall apart when used in the microwave. These labels do not guarantee that containers don’t leach chemicals into foods when heated; the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not regulate these labels and has not developed any standards for them.

I always avoids using plastic in the microwave. Plastic + hot + fat is the worst combination. That's because most chemicals that leach from plastic love fat and high temperature speeds up the leaching process into the fat. For safety’s sake, it’s best not to heat foods in plastics. Ceramic or oven-proof glass dishes with lids provide safe and effective substitutes. To ensure thorough heating (which kills harmful microbes), be sure to use lids. Never microwave food in margarine tubs, yogurt cups or other containers, such as styrofoam.

The worst plastic, from both a health and environmental standpoint, is #3 PVC (polyvinyl chloride, or vinyl), which commonly packages foods and liquids. To soften PVC into these flexible forms, various toxic chemicals are added as "plasticizers." Traces of these chemicals can leak out of PVC into foods. It’s not just cling wrap we need to worry about. In some cases, packaging made from PVC contains over 50% plasticizers, added to increase flexibility of this inherently brittle plastic. PVC packaging for food can include plastic trays in boxed cookies or chocolates, candy bar wrappers, and bottles.

Microwave foods and drinks in oven-proof glass or ceramic dishes with lids. Never let plastic wrap touch food while in the microwave!
When purchasing cling-wrapped foods from the supermarket or deli, (especially fatty foods like cheese and meat) slice off a thin layer where the food came into contact with the plastic and store the rest in a glass or ceramic container, or non-PVC cling wrap.

Call me old fashioned.

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  11:19:24 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I actually never want another microwave! When we finished remodeling the in-law suite and moved into it, I told DH the kitchen wasn't big enough for the microwave.

I really only miss it early in the morning when I want to butter some bread and the butter is still hard from the fridge. I always have hot water on the stove for tea or something. And while it would be faster to reheat leftovers in the microwave, they cool off faster and just don't taste the same.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  6:26:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh gosh!!! I nuke things with plastic on them all the time, and I'm feeding that to my kids??!! Thanks for posting this, nuking with plastic is over for me!!!
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  8:11:07 PM  Show Profile
You've done your plastics homework, haven't you? Thanks for posting this info, Margret. Now I can print this out and know exactly why I dislike plastics.

BTW, you may know me as DevotedDecorator.
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  05:45:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kristin! LOL, Yes you sparked something in me, I had to find out more!!

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  08:24:06 AM  Show Profile
Margret- Thanks for that very interesting update. You know sometimes your intuition tells you something before you ever know it factually. I guess that's why we use very little plastic wrap! All those petro based products eventually breakdown in to more unhealthy byproducts anyway.I guess I love my vintage pyrex now more than ever! Thanks Margret, nice to see you back. How was the season? Did you ever get to the farmmarket or set up one of your own?

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  08:54:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi bramble.Yes, I was at the farmers market this year, my first year! And it went really well. I'm hoping to do it again next year.

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  4:57:23 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so it's bad to nuke plastic containers in the microwave, but I like to have a hot lunch at work. I bring my own to work cuz it's cheaper, and I made it at home so I'd like to think it's better than what I could buy. We only have a microwave to heat food. So, my question is, in what do I take my lunch in?
- Cat
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  5:32:57 PM  Show Profile
Cat - I bought four assorted sized pyrex containers with lids for the gang to take suppers to work in. The set was under $20 and a couple are big enough for good size suppers.
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2005 :  05:41:44 AM  Show Profile
Can you leave a glass dish at work for microwaving in? Or carry it with you. You can bring your lunch in plastic but put it on glass before you put it in the mic. If it's important enough to you, you'll find a way.

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2005 :  06:41:55 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, we also got a set of pyrex bowls as a free offer from the bank for opening an account. They have plastic lids for storage, but you could remove the lid before you microwave.

Also, if taking glass to work is too much trouble, you could buy a set of nice paper plates, like Chinet, and keep them in your desk. Remove the food from the plastic and then microwave it in the Chinet. My husband does this at work, because we keep kosher at home and the microwave is not kosher, so he doesn't make my tupperwares unkosher. He says it works fine.

You know, I don't use a microwave much, but when I did (when I was a teenager) I always noticed that anything microwaved in plastic tasted a little like plastic.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  11:05:13 AM  Show Profile
There was a great article about this issue in Organic Times (I think) in September. Or you can do a google search about it.

I firmly go by the addage that the dose is the poision. Can't tell you how many times in college I'd heat spghetti sauce in plastic bowls and see the warped sides from where the sauce had scorched.

These days I take all meals in glass. Pyrex and Wal-Mart have a good thing going. All the different sized bowls make for good lunch transport. Although I did drop a bowl and had to make due w/out my salad for that day.

We also live in the pottery mecca of the South, so when Pyrex is lacking, a pretty bowl from our potter friend makes a good container.

When heating, do remove the lid and replace with a sheet of wax paper.

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  1:55:36 PM  Show Profile
It makes me sad to see yogurt and cottage cheese, as well as milk, in plastic containers now. I remember when these things were packaged in waxed paper containers. Yep, I'm that old.

Dr. Andrew Weil has written a lot on this subject. I really like his sensible approach to medicine and lifestyle. It's an integrative approach, taking the best from all segments of medicine, whether it's western medicine, ayurvedic medicine, homeopathy, herbal, or whatever. And he's a Harvard educated doctor. He says he'd never eat anything that's been nuked in plastic. Just not good, because plastic molecules are driven into the food.

Corningware has been a good invention for this. Durable, tough going from freezer to microwave, doesn't chip, crack, or craze. And a good value, too.
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  2:10:02 PM  Show Profile
When I was a child, the milkman was still bringing milk in glass bottles. I wish they'd go back to putting milk in recyclable glass bottles. I've stopped buying our milk in the 4L plastic jugs. Eventhough it costs a bit more, I've switched to the 2L cartons.

I've wondered what foods were packaged in before plastics hit it so big. It's hard to find much in glass bottles anymore. I was wondering if frozen vegetables were sold before plastics were being used mainstream? What things do you remember?

Edited by - prairiemaid on Nov 18 2005 2:13:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2005 :  03:55:28 AM  Show Profile
I remember my mother buying hers in paper. The frozen viggies came in small square blocks. These days it's mostly in the plastic bags.

Also too, we have become a throw-away society and faster paced. Sit down dinners are an endangered species. These days it's all convenience foods for an on the go lifestyle. I say the only thing making it faser paced is whover makes the choice. .

I don't have kids, and can understand getting a meal together is a hassle. I have never really bought into the whole convenience thing. Guess when you grow most of it yourself, you can make it better and healthier than any. I will usually cook a large batch of something and freeze it. Can't get more convenient than that!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Never, NEVER put plastic in the microwave. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page