Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Anyone else trying to lose weight?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anyone else trying to lose weight? Next Topic
Page: of 5

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  10:39:45 AM  Show Profile
So last night after dinner (leftover Moroccan chicken w/almonds and dates, leftover couscous, leftover lowfat ratatouille, steamed asparagus) I was still hungry. I know, I shouldn't have been, right? But I only ate one chicken leg at dinner because we only had a little bit left. I popped some popcorn on the stove with a very little bit of oil (don't have an air popper, and I think air popped popcorn tastes like cardboard) and sprinkled a little salt on it (no butter) and my husband and I shared it.

I'm aggravated. I lost 4 pounds in 1 week, and in 2 more weeks, I haven't lost any more. I realize that what I initially lost was probably partly water weight, but I want the scale to move, darn it! I exercised yesterday as well as walking with my husband, and I'm going to do some more today.

Thanks to all for being so positive and supportive. This is such a great environment for it.
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  11:13:58 AM  Show Profile
That is so right about the walking! I started walking about 6 years ago after surgery for a herniated disk. I could walk for miles everyday if I had time. I find I do better if I have a destination or I'm walking in a scenic area. I don't do so good walking around my suburan neighborhood! BORING! I've gotten out of the habit of walking everyday, though, and I really need to get it going again. A good 3 mile walk can burn 350 - 400 calories, and it's good for the back, posture, breathing, everything! And it's low impact, so no jarring of joints! We really would be thinner and healthier if we got out of our cars more.
Marlene
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  1:53:20 PM  Show Profile
Ok, time to fess up :(

I have been totally bombing my diet, We had Pizza for supper on Wed. and I have just ate junk since.

One thing I will say that I really like about the WW Core plan is it incorporates alot of "whole" foods into your diet.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  1:59:35 PM  Show Profile
Bridgette, it's okay! Whatever you do, don't consider the diet scrapped because you slipped up. Just get back on the wagon.

So today I ate:

Breakfast: English muffin with butter and strawberry preserves, boiled egg, 3 Brazil nuts, pineapple juice

Lunch: 4 slices of smoked turkey on rye with sliced tomato and mustard, 1 plum, 4 Greek olives and a glass of OJ/seltzer mixed.

Tonight for dinner I'm going to make baked salmon with lemon and dill, baked eggplant with a little olive oil, some yogurt cheese, dill and garlic, some steamed green beans and steamed corn.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  3:43:50 PM  Show Profile
Amanda -- can I come to your house for dinner? YUM!

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  4:16:36 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have trouble with nighttime eating? I know you should stop at around 7 or so, but I start the munchie eating at 9:00 p.m. and go till about 11 or 12. The "Fraiser" theme music starts on tv at 9 and it's like a dinner bell. I'm off and running. I know I need to exercise more, but I HATE it. I don't think crocheting a doily wears off too much fat. Too bad. I lost weight on Atkins, but promptly put it right back on plus some. One good thing about Atkins is that you quickly lose all your cravings. I just don't think it's healthy though and I've never talked to anyone who has kept the weight off. Being over 50 and trying to lose weight is the pits!!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  4:38:37 PM  Show Profile
The evenings are my worst time! From about 4 in the afternoon until I finally go to sleep. I've been trying to sew in the evenings because when I get in my little room I forget about everything else. Except last night I came out and had ice cream!

Maybe don't watch Frasier -- LOL!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  4:43:20 PM  Show Profile
Jan -- I don't think Atkins is good for anyone on a long term basis. That much protein and fat puts an awful strain on your kidneys. I don't eat much fat and when I watch the low carb cooking shows on TV I almost gag at the amount of butter, etc that they use. But I know that I'm addicted to carbs because when I cut back on my sugar intake then I crave bread and pasta. Love potatoes too.

Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  5:03:58 PM  Show Profile
Kay, try gradually cutting out simple carbs - anything white - pasta, rice, bread, etc., and replacing them with the whole grain versions. Read ingredients - "whole grain" doesn't necessarily mean that - you have to make sure it's made ONLY with whole grains and no refined! Instead of white potatoes, use sweet potatoes. If you take your time and experiment with different brands until you find something you like, you'll eventually find you're only eating whole, complex carbs. You can still have potatoes and refined things occasionally - but for the most part, you'll be eating good carbs, which fill you up and take longer to digest. This will help alleviate the sugar cravings (says me, who ate another cookie today - but just one!).
Marlene
Go to Top of Page

blanket of stars
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kat
Hancock NH
51 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  5:41:44 PM  Show Profile
oh groan, I can relate especially to Jan - nightime! I start reading a book and want to munch. Potato chips are MUCH easier to eat (teeth) than baby carrots. Two health issues ( Lyme disease and knee surgery) keep me resting more than I'd like - fast walking is just too tough on the knees right now. I've tried just ridiculous amounts of health diets and tonight decided just eating less, only protein and veggies and a little fruit and lots of water. Dieting is so awful.
Go to Top of Page

potterygirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Tracy
Ironton Missouri
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  6:35:18 PM  Show Profile
An ongoing stuggle.... "Remember it is a way of living and eating well, NOT A DIET!"

For starters....this is the first time I have written anything on a/the Chat room and I hope I do everything correctly, who knows how it might show up! Bare with me!

As I have read through everyone's letters, we seem to have one thing in common..Losing weight. Some need to lose more than others, but it seems to be hard whether you need to lose 100 pounds or 5 pounds! It seems as though I have been on a diet all of my life...as a young lady and now 41 I think I have tried every diet except for the South Beach Diet. There has been WW, Slimfast, cabbage soup, low fat, low carb, counting and writting down everything through out the day...wow, how I could go on and on, but, talking about diets are exhausting!

In the last two years, I have been preparing meals/snacks for my elderly boss who is on a reneal and diabetic diet. Talk about learning a lot about foods and their contents. Well, of course I eat what I make for him. ( I do binge while out of his site...only because he is so restricted!! and, our bodies will allow for other good foods.) I have also been to many different dietitions with him and have helped myself and my family with what I have learned.

In the last year I have gone from 153ish to 133...In my late twenties...I got up to 170!) and, ladies, "NOW" I NEVER GO HUNGRY! I try to make everything from scratch, canned and boxed items from the store have everything you DON'T need! If you even take one day out of your busy week and prepare dishes/food and put in the freezer it will help your week go smoothly! The only thing I watch on labels is the sodium and sugar. Sodium does add flavor to your meals and at first when you cut it out things taste a little bland (and, yes, the guys won't know what hit them...) but, get Mrs. Dash and use your herbs to add flavor. Try it for a while, then when you use it...see if you don't notice that your feet and hands swell! Even my daughters notice now! It retains more water in your body than you could ever imagine! Sugar on the other hand...Splenda is the answer...once you figure it out! I have my own little cookbook of good recipes that we have tried if you are ever interested?!

I read the letter from Lynn in Georgia, "greyghost"...YOU ARE RIGHT!
Yes!!!! WINE, CHOCOLATE AND CHEESE CAN BE IN YOUR DIET! In fact as I am typing this I am having a glass of Merlot and a Truffle! When the book came out...French Women Don't Get Fat..I had to buy it. By this time I had changed my way of eating for almost a year and after reading it...It convinced me that I am not on a diet, but living better! It is not quantity...it is quality! I use to Do
The Dew..now, I can actually say that I am off soda (sometimes yes I have one...they just aren't the same, but I do have to try!) and now on tea and water. If I am going to have sugar...I want the best Chocolate that I can buy. Bissingers does seem to satisfy my craving.

This summer my oldest daughter returned from college and I did my best to help her loose some of the Freshman pounds. (didn't need but ten pounds...but..) I thought she was going to strangle me! She did not want to DIET on her summer...Just thinking of dieting made her hungry. Hey, I have been there done that and understand! By the time she went back to school she had only lost four pounds..better than nothing, right? Well, she came home one weekend and WOW, she had lost five pounds the first month! What a difference..she said that her and a friend are doing the French Woman Don't Get Fat method...(Well, she wouldn't even touch the book while it was by my bedside!!ha!!) Long story short...they are eating what the soroity house serves, but, they never finsh their plate and hurry to toss the rest! PORTION CONTROL! It works!

The dietition said...everyone can eat anything...but, in moderation and I believe it!

Ok...I have written my first chat room BOOK (sorry). Good luck to all.

"Skinny Cooks can't be trusted"

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  8:21:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kay for the kind words. Today was a better day. This morning I I decided to weigh and measure myself to make a realistic goal. I figure if I make small obtainable goals I will be more apt to stick with it. It's nice to have some place to go where you are understood. My DH encouraging but sometime he just doesn't get it that it is easier for men to lose weight than women.
I am going to try a diet that my dad's heart surgeon has put him on. It is called "No white at night"
Protein at every meal, walk everyday and not bread,pasta,taters,ect at the evening meal. My folks both went on it and they both have lost weight. Where as I am a carb baby, I'm gonna' try.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  11:37:36 AM  Show Profile
I too am a night time eater. I must have inherited it from my dad. I'll get up at all hours and get a cookie or piece of cheese. It's hard NOT to!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  2:39:54 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know if salt affects weight much. I know it has something to do with high blood pressure, but I don't know much more about what it does to your body. Besides the night eating, one of my other problems is salt. I don't like a lot of salt on my food, but I eat salt plain throughout the day. I just crave it! My mouth is actually watering right now thinking about it. My mouth waters in the winter seeing the salt on the sidewalks!! It's crazy, but I've been like this for years. My kids used to tell me they were going to get me a salt lick for Christmas. My blood pressure however is always on the low side of normal. I don't know if it's hurting anything, or if it's just a food craving. Jan
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  8:42:35 PM  Show Profile
Read this today and thought it was good.
"DOn't starve yourself. If you're hungrey, eat. Select foods form the base of the pyramid-fruits and vegetables.
Don't let occasional setbacks weaken your commitment to lose weight-expect them.
DOn't try to be perfect.
DOn't be on a timeline. Changing lifelong behaviors doesn't happen overnight.
Don't give up- you can do it!
Try working out a strategy to gradually change the habits and attitudes that may have sabotaged your past efforts. Make a healthier lifestyle -not the number of numbers- your primary motivation." Hopefully this will encourage someone, it did me.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  08:52:24 AM  Show Profile
I have to agree, I think we make ourselves crazy with the word "diet", it's alot of pressure! I also think we can eat anything as long as we don't over do it. I too had Lymes disease and my body hasn't been the same since. One good thing, I'm not gaining just can't lose?? I drink alot of water but it makes me feel bloated all the time but I still drink it because I know my body needs it. The only soda I drink is diet coke but am trying to wean myself from it for fear of the aspercreme in it? I think this is a good place to start with our lifestyle change, support is the key and sometimes you need support outside of your family, esp. if you have tried before and failed. I don't ever tell anyone I'm dieting, they expect too much, I just eat better, cut out the bad stuff and try to exerice daily. Age does have alot to do with it. Herbs can help too. Whole grains is a must! We cut out white bread years ago and our switching to wheat where ever possible. Glad to have this forum to vent, it helps too. Thanks!

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

crazymoose
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Caryn
Auburn WA
38 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  12:25:23 PM  Show Profile
Owwlady- don't know how concerned about your salt intake is, but my cousin-in-law, I guess that is what she would be titled, she craves and needs salt, she has Addison's and her body doesn't make adrenaline (sp?).

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)
Go to Top of Page

potterygirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Tracy
Ironton Missouri
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  1:11:32 PM  Show Profile
Greetings to all! As we all know...everyone's body is different. I am not forsure about salt (yes, it triggers high blood pressure, which I have) and, I do know that cutting out on sodium intake has helped my family. We did not notice for almost two months...we knew I had to really use herbs to add flavor to our meals! But, after having it out of our body long enough, when we went out to eat we all could REALLY taste it and within a couple hours our feet and hands were swollen, like we use to feel them when we weren't watching it! Salt does retain water, maybe just try it and see what you think?? I will be anxious to know how it makes you feel.

With the changes that I have made in preparing food in the last two years... I have also changed how I serve it to my family. Presentation is EVERYTHING! We always use linen table cloths and napkins at dinner too! If I am going to work this hard in the garden and kitchen.... I would like it to be a work of art! Slow your meals down and enjoy....the slower you eat the fuller you get QUICKER!
Tracy
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  05:52:03 AM  Show Profile
I see that everyone is reluctant to say anything after the weekend, including me! I have to say that I confess to being bad over the weekend. My husband and I shared a milkshake and an order of hand-cut french fries at the most amazing place near our apartment. We'd never gone there before, and it will be a while before we go there, but it was heaven in a cup, and the fries were incredible, too.

I've got to stop feeling guilty, because half a milkshake and half an order of fries aren't the end of the world, but I'm still not losing more weight. I've been working out more this last week, and I'm getting my period soon, so I hope I'm just retaining water.

What about everyone else? How was your weekend?
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  09:36:22 AM  Show Profile
Shake and fries, Chocolate, soda... I think one of the things I have had train my brain is that it is ok to have fun food. It isn't wrong, but just eat them in moderation. I would get on such a guilt trip if I "strayed" from healthy eating. It only would make things worse. So I allow myself an occational treat, like a good piece of chocolate, my favorite black licorise (Panda) or a choclolate shake. We have had so much junk advertising thrown at us that we really need to sift through it all and find the good and reasonable. Genetics,age,ect play a big part. What works for me won't work for someone else. The biggest thing is to get away from comparing myself against the cute 23yr olds who have never had children that remind me of when was 23 and looked the same. I will never look like that again, but I can be healthy, that is my goal. Besides a friend recently said to me, " Who wants a skinny G'ma? I'm not a G'ma yet, though I hope soon, I need to be where I can set a better example to my 3 three daughters and future grand kids.
Oh, and Amanda, weekends are always the worst for me as we often are out and about so snacking and such comes much easier. Its ok to reward yourself after a week of the norm. You are doing fine!

Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  10:42:22 AM  Show Profile
Pizza! I had pizza this weekend! I love pizza.
You're right about the shake and fries, Amanda. You did fine - after all you split them with your husband and you won't go there all the time. About 3 times a year, my husband and I go to Cold Stone Creamery and get whatever we want. I like the Mud Pie Mojo. We eat some of it, freeze the rest and work on it for the next 3 or 4 months. Not great, but it's our treat. I like to make ice cream, too, but again, I don't do it more than once or twice a year. It's just too tempting!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  11:10:07 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of ice cream, I discoved a wonderful treat this summer without the guilt, has anyone else tried Edy's slow churn versions with half the fat? My favorite is coffee, and they taste like the real stuff, yum!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  11:19:16 AM  Show Profile
Did someone say the P word???? I love PIZZA!!! You know most of the food groups are on pizza, grains, dairy, vegetable, proteins/meat! I love to make a homemade crust, with whole tomatoes sliced, basil leaves, a small amount of mozzerella cheese and olive oil to coat the crust and bake on a pizza stone in my oven. I sprinkle with a little gray sea salt and pepper. Ahhhhhh.....pizza heaven. I just eat 2 small slices with a green salad.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  11:42:32 AM  Show Profile
Pizza has to be good for you, esp. the tomatoes and olive oil. I too make a home made crust and want to try a whole wheat crust, has anyone done this? Sounds good. Now I want pizza.......ack!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  12:01:15 PM  Show Profile
I believe this type of pizza is called a magarita pizza. Had it once at a pub style restaurant and I've been making it for myself at home since. I've even made it on a tortilla and it's still great! Yum, think that'll be on my menu for tonight! Fresh tomatoes and fresh basil are in stock at my home!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anyone else trying to lose weight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page