Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Anyone else trying to lose weight?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anyone else trying to lose weight? Next Topic
Page: of 5

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  08:53:10 AM  Show Profile
Want to be supportive of each other? I know that people on diets (myself included) can be quite tiresome about it, talking about what they ate that day, how much they lost, etc. Does anyone else want to be tiresome with me?

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  09:05:59 AM  Show Profile
I am! Plus I have the added problem of a sluggish thyroid.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  10:19:45 AM  Show Profile
I'm seriously trying to lose weight on my own without having to do the whole Weight Watchers thing, go to meetings, pay the money, etc. I'm just going to eat healthier and start exercising. I would love to be tiresome with you! I want to be lean and mean by the time I hit 55!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  11:21:16 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like a plan. There are 2 Organic groceries here in Kansas and I have joind a Jazzercise group. I'll need to do that when I go home in 2 weeks also. My doctor put me on a new thyroid medicine but I still keep gaining. I think I need to have the dosage increased too. I'm still tired all the time.

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  12:51:57 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to start by complaining. Today I really wanted to exercise, but it was just too hot in my apartment. I'm hoping I won't be too tired tonight by the time it cools off. Maybe my husband and I will go walking, which we've been doing lately.

Today I ate:

Breakfast:
1/2 bagel with lox and neufchatel cheese
sliced tomato
1 pear
seltzer water

Lunch:
2 banana pancakes with a tiny bit of syrup and no butter
1 poached egg
lychees
seltzer

Snack:
5 Brazil nuts

Tonight for dinner, my husband and I are going to have some leftover cold rotisserie chicken, plus some cucumber salad (I bought it from the store. Usually I would make this but we were eating in the park. It doesn't look like it was made with any oil), and some leftover ratatouille that I made with very little oil. (The recipe called for 1/2 cup olive oil. I used about 2 T and it makes at least 8 servings).

So far I've lost about 4 pounds in 2 weeks, from 165 to 161. (I'm really embarrassed about my weight, since I'm not very tall. I am big boned and big busted, though, so most people think I weigh about 140). I'd like to get to 125.
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  2:05:48 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I just started back following the WW "Core" plan. I just follow it on my own.
I don't have the money to spend to go to the meetings.

I weighed on Monday and was 174. I would like to be 140.
I walked a mile this morning with my dad (+1.5)

Today I ate:
Breakfast- Granola bar & Diet Sunkist
Snack- Strawberrys and yogurt sprinkled with a tiny amount of Mini choc. chips
Lunch- Ravioli with tomato sauce and ground turkey, 2 breadsticks (-4)
Snack-Banana or orange
Supper-Salad with Steak & peppers
Snack-Homemade Icecream (1 scoop)

This is also a really great site I like to use to keep track
http://www.journaltosuccess.com/
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  3:51:30 PM  Show Profile
Good luck, Bridge! I'm sure you can do it!

Report back with your progress, ok?
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  4:35:03 PM  Show Profile
Amanda, I would love to be tiresome with you. I've kept my weight down all my 53 yrs until the Doctor put me on some meds that quickly added 40 lbs!! He immediatly took me off the meds, but I have yet (1yr later) to lose the weight. Nothing fits, I can't stand doing things with this extra weight to lug along. I've had luck with Weight Watchers in the past, so I'm going that route again. I do it on my own, no meetings etc. This weight seems really stubborn, although I haven't gained even 1 lb since he took me off. It's just that I can't seem to lose what I've put on. I use the old WW program instead of the new points system. Too tempting. I think a farmgirl weight loss support group would be great.

Edited by - owwlady on Sep 13 2005 4:37:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  5:00:25 PM  Show Profile
I am trying too. I have about 22 lbs. to lose for me to feel comfortable again. I too have no clothes that fit and I feel just real horrible. I won't go swimming with my family, stay covered up when we go to the lake and it's just bad. I am 162 right now and want to be at least 140. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be my pre-prego weight which is 130 but I think that's pushing it right now. My mom and I have started a 'belly and buns' workout class 2 times a week and I've been walking but my eating habits haven't improved at all. I still eat Italian food most nights, although I have switched to whole wheat pasta.

Today I ate:

skipped breakfast (bad I know but I was busy and normally I don't skip)

lunch: celery stick with 1 laughing cow cheese wedge
couple bites of macaroni & cheese
salad

dinner: was REALLY bad and had chicken and shrimp scampi with pasta and a glass of white wine. (it was WAY yummy though!!)

Everyday I say I will do better but I don't. I just don't have any will-power I've tried Slimfast and get hungry, tried South Beach Diet and it wasn't convenient with the rest of the family. So I've come to the conclusion that everything in moderation but I need to do better. Good luck to all of us, together we can do it!!!

Edited by - lonestargal on Sep 13 2005 5:01:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  5:36:22 PM  Show Profile
I went on the Rosedale Diet and lost 30 lbs in some obscenely short amount of time. I want to say I was losing about 5 lbs a week and I don't think that I am too far off on that estimate. My husband also lost a LOT of weight in a very short time. I went on the diet to be supportive of him because he is diabetic and I wanted to lose weight too. I'm not on the diet anymore even though Dr. Rosedale thinks it should be a complete and permanent lifestyle change, but I've done pretty well at not regaining. I have to warn you though, don't rely on the nuts too much for the between meals snacks because I did that because it was easier than preparing the other snacks and now I can hardly stand to look at a cashew. I'd still like to lose another 15-20 lbs but I am in the dress size I set out to be. It was just so easy to stick to it because of the quick results. We sort of "fell off the wagon" at our wedding, but we still try to stick to the basic principles and watch carbs and keep good fats in the diet, bad ones out.

I was also doing yogafit yoga at the time. I still do that, but not as frequently.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/

Edited by - LJRphoto on Sep 13 2005 5:37:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  6:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Me Too! I need to loose 25-30 lbs. I have had two miscarriages and after them I just can't seem to budge my pudge! I am a bit more active now that the semester has started and I am walking around campus.

Today for Breakfast I had a Slim Fast shake

For Lunch I had two slices of cheese pizza and a diet Mountain Dew (I know i should be drinking more water)

I haven't decided about dinner yet, but I will try to make it healthy!

I am glad we are chatting about this!

Good luck Farmgirls!

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  7:52:44 PM  Show Profile
Me too! Like Kim I have a sluggish thyroid. I had to have a hysterectomy 4years ago (I was 41),then 9 months later my thyroid went out. I have struggled with my weight ever since. Being short waisted, well thats where it is all going. I am trying to eat better and exercise, but boy do I have a terrible sweet tooth! We can do this girls! We need to for us and our families!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  05:07:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Anybody tried the wine, chocolate and cheese diet?

Anytime I've had the low-fat diet of salad, fruits and veggies and I was hungry all the time! I hated the diet because I felt like I was depriving myself and trying to starve myself thin, which in turn made me depressed.

The idea with the Wine, Chocolate and Cheese diet is, instead of eating chocolate snackwell's cookies and other diet crud that we don't like and doesn't really satisfy anybody - is to eat a little of the real thing. A square of the best chocolate you can afford will make you happier than a Carob bar ever could. Real, yummy cheese on your dinner plate is more filling than a larger square of fat-free or reduced fat cheese.

You eat the real thing, just less of it. Oh, and you get a glass of wine with dinner! Who can say no to that?

Last issue, this issue and the next of Marie Claire has this meal plan all made up. It's based on what French people eat, since they are far slimmer on average than us Americans! I really want to try it once I have a kitchen and can prepare meals again. Anybody with me? I hope to have a kitchen in about 2 weeks.

It's on their website too: http://magazines.ivillage.com/marieclaire/frenchdiet
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  06:19:01 AM  Show Profile
Kristi, the reason you may be having trouble with your diet may not be about will power, but due to the fact that you're not eating enough. What I see is no breakfast, not enough lunch, and then you're so hungry that by dinner you eat everything in sight. I'm not a nutritionist, but I wonder if you might have an easier time if you eat more food, including protein and good carbs, earlier in the day.

Laura, I bought a container of Brazil nuts 2 weeks ago. (I was shopping while I was hungry. Never do that or you end up with Brazil nuts.) I actually love them, so I don't mind at this point. I also eat fruit, flatbread, and other good things for snacks. I'm not doing a low carb diet, so I'm not eating nuts because they're low carb.

Alee, don't feel guilty about drinking pop! My husband and I drank a diet A & W last night. (It was goooooood ). What did you have for dinner last night? Did it have a lot of vegetables?

Lynn, I did see that article, too, in Marie Claire. I'm guessing that because the portions are pretty small, it still works out to be a low-fat diet. Also, because it doesn't involve things like frozen entrees (the original article talked a lot about convenience foods) it's got a lot less of the stuff in it that makes those foods palatable (HFCS, trans fats, salt, artificial stuff). From what I can see, it looks pretty balanced and nutritionally sound. All this and Valrhona chocolate. How can this be bad?

Edited by - ivmeer on Sep 14 2005 06:33:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  07:50:38 AM  Show Profile
What I'm trying to do instead of dieting is just changing the way I eat. No more pop, lots of water, making choices of fruit and veggies instead of high calorie snacks (I'm a snacker with a sweet tooth, watching my fat, etc. After being on many diets over the years I've decided that I want to go for a lifestyle change that will be a permanent change instead of dieting until I get the weight off then gaining it back when I go back to old eating habits.

My brother is 62 and diabetic. He is in better shape now than he was when he was younger. He controls his blood sugar through diet and exercise. He amazes me -- he gets up 6 days a week at 5:30 to exercise. He alternates between cardio on one day and weights on the next day. He watches his diet for those 6 days and then on Sunday gives himself the day off. He gives himself permission to eat anything he wants on Sunday. This has worked for him for the last 7 years. So that's what I'm going to try.

I have to agree with Amanda -- it sounds like you're not eating enough food. And if you balance protein, carbs, and good fats that will help satisfy your hunger.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  08:09:57 AM  Show Profile
That's what I am trying to do also. It's been a lot easier here in Kansas on my own than at home with Norm. i buy less so I eat less and not as much crap like chips and ice cream. I have also been doing a lot of shopping at stores like the Whole Food Market.

farmgirl@heart

Edited by - Kim on Sep 14 2005 08:56:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  11:26:07 AM  Show Profile
Count me in! I made the major lifestyle change a few years ago and I've stayed at a fairly consistent weight since then. But, consistent isn't necessarily low enough! I tend to give in to my sweet tooth too often, or go on brief binges when I eat anything I can get my hands on. This usually happens when I'm going through a bad sleep period. After a couple nights of no sleep, I eat, eat, eat! When I'm rested, I don't do that.
I'm a big believer in variety, fresh, organic food, lots of veggies, whole grains and moderation. Oh, and wine and chocolate! I almost never eat "prepared" food -it's got to be fresh and homemade. I'm a personal chef and that's how I run my business.
I'm 50 years old and weigh about 130 pounds, but I'm short and small boned. Most of my weight is in my stomach, with the balance in my butt and thighs. I would really like to lose about 20 pounds. I've tried WW, South Beach, etc., but I really think the best thing to do is eat a balanced diet, watch portions, and exercise. I try to do all that, but I don't really lose weight anymore - I just don't "gain" any (which is good, but I'd like to lose).
Like all of you, I need encouragement to keep my portions small and exercise more!

Today for breakfast I had 1 small waffle (homemade, 110 calories), 1/2 cup of plain yogurt, 3/4 cup raspberries and blackberries. Later, I had a slice of homemade, whole wheat bread with peanut butter and 1/2 tsp of maple syrup. I love maple syrup - oh, I also put about a teaspoon into my yogurt this morning.

Then, my downfall - I had two cookies. Homemade, whole grain, but still...
It's lunchtime now, but I'll probably skip it. A business women's group I belong to is doing a tea party tonight, and some women are coming over to make scones. I'll put out some cheese and flatbread, along with chips and Aunt Jenny's salsa (which is VERY good - thanks, Aunt Jenny!).
So, I'll snack on this stuff, probably have a scone at the tea party. I'll try to eat a salad at dinner to get some veggies. Maybe I should run to the store to get some raw veggies to set out with the cheese? There are veggies in the salsa!
Marlene
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  12:53:25 PM  Show Profile
I'm SO glad to find this thread, like all of you, I too want to lose some weight, esp. before the holidays set in. A farmgirl support group is a great idea! I'm short too so any extra weight looks worse plus at the age of 46 I think my body is getting ready for the big M club, and I'm finding it harder to lose weight. Had my estrogen checked so hopefully in a couple of days I'll know if it's low or not and stop wondering if I"m pre-menopauseal or not. Anyone else finding it harder to lose as we age?? Count me in here!

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  1:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Oh my goodness yesssssss!! I unfortunately have the dreaded double duo: hardy Irish/German stock DNA raised on carb loaded Irish cooking and the dreaded low-thyroid-take-pills-but-they-don't-help-with-weight problem. Not to mention approaching menopause & the gain-everything-in-the-tummyroll-area age of 50. Always been chunky in the butt, but this is all new territory (should I say acreage?).And to exacerbate everything else, going thru the awful stress of injured hubby facing spinal surgery, he's facing losing his career which he LOVES, elderly deteriorating parents and Fibromyalgia to boot. Gees, why would I gain and or have trouble losing weight....? If I lose my mind will I be thinner????
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  1:17:54 PM  Show Profile
Marlene, cookies aren't the end of the world. Put it in perspective: you ate 200 calories worth of cookies, and a pound of fat is 3600 calories. I think we can forgive you this once

Sue and Diane, welcome to the thread and feel free to post anything you want.

As for me, I did part of a workout video today, but I pooped out halfway through. Hopefully I'll take a walk with my husband tonight.

I ate:

Breakfast
1/2 bagel with lox and cream cheese
glass of pineapple juice

Lunch (didn't eat enough, I know, but I'm not all that hungry)
2 flatbread crackers
1 oz colby jack cheese
small piece of halva
seltzer

Edited by - ivmeer on Sep 14 2005 1:49:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  1:49:16 PM  Show Profile
I don't know, Diane, I think the brain only weighs about 3 pounds (or is it 8?)- so you may as well hang on to it...
Isn't fibromyalgia the thing that makes you tired and sore all the time? Something to do with the muscles? Doesn't it seem that life hands you everything at once? It would be nice if some of the bad stuff were spread out more - although maybe that would mean things would be bad all the time.
You're right about the cookies, Amanda - it's not a huge deal. Because of the tea party, I'm going to be really low on veggies today, so I shouldn't cheat any more. I'll try to be good!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  5:16:43 PM  Show Profile
As far as the "French Diet" or that "Wine, chocolate, cheese diet" I'm in for sure. Those are my 3 favorite food groups ha ha. I wish they were food groups, I'd be the healthiest eater around. Anyways, we all have to remember that the French and Italians they all walk EVERYWHERE!!! I've read up on the way they eat and yes they eat a lot of carbs, cheese, and other fatty foods, drink wine daily but with the amount of exercise they get by walking it burns it all off. Americans don't have that lifestyle, if we can't drive..we don't go. I've been walking lately and once that becomes a habit for me then I want to look into eating that way and maybe then I won't feel so deprived. I agree with you guys that I don't eat enough. Sometimes I actually 'forget' to eat. I get so busy with stuff around the house and then it's 3:00 pm and I'm saying "oh my gosh, I haven't eaten all day!!!" But then I figure well it's going to be dinner in a couple hours so I'll just wait so I can eat with the family but by then I'm starved and pig out. I've got to do better, I'm tired of the way I look and feel!!!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  5:18:15 PM  Show Profile
I had a lousy day today, so what did I do? Ate "comfort food." The weird thing is that I got so sick afterwards. It reminded me that I have to get a grip on this thing before I am mistaken for a sausage roll. I did walk today, it helped to clear the brain. It doesn't seem fair that you have to work harder at staying healthy as you get older. There should be more perks than quirks with age.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  9:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Thanks Marlene...you are pretty funny. Whole head weighs 8 lbs you are right, probably my brain weighs less than 3 the way I feel today!Yep, Fibromyalgia is like having the aches, pains and sore muscles from the 'Flu, but I have them every day all day long.Really makes one want to exercise I tell ya.
Julia, maybe that should be a new tag line "There should be more perks than quirks with age".
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  07:35:42 AM  Show Profile
I lost 4.5 lbs!!! I'm so excited. I found my Walk Off The Pound video that I got at the Goodwill last year. I'm dusting it off so I start exercising this AM.

Julia -- have a good day today! Don't beat yourself up for eating comfort food. You must have needed some comforting. I tend to do the same thing. Last night I was sewing late and took a break to get some water. I started looking through the kitchen for something to eat. I wasn't hungry just wanted something because I tend to snack late at night. Instead of going back to sewing I had a bowl of cookies and cream ice cream at 11 PM. My hips would've been better off if I had gone back to the sewing room!

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  09:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
BOY THAT SOUNDS FAMILIAR... Congrats on the lost poundage though Kay!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anyone else trying to lose weight? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page