Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I need help! Next Topic  

Crafty Chic
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Melissa
West Plains MO
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  07:33:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Crafty Chic a Yahoo! Message
Hey girls-
Ok here's the long story short-I have a spastic colon (have since high school) after having my daughter it's caused me to have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) which has made me lactose intolerant. All kinds of dairy or even things with a little bit of dairy in them triggers my stomach and I usually have diarrhea (sorry if that's gross to say!) at least every morning. That's usually when it's the worse for me. I do experience some constipation but not as often as the other. Being that I'm lactose intolerant and can't have ANY dairy whatsoever-and my husband LOVES any kind of Italian, pizza, mac and cheese plus we have a 21/2 yr old-it's hard to eat b/c I don't want to cook two meals: one for me and one for them so does anyone have any recipes or links to recipes that are milk free? Everything in the world either has milk in the ingredients or you have to use milk when making it....HELP ME! My choices are either don't eat a lot or eat and be sick. It's gotten so bad I can't even travel. Also-got any natural ways to help cure or ease IBS b/c the new medicine the doc has put me on has made me feel worse. Anyways-I could use some help and advice if anyone has any! Thanks!

Visit our Farmgirl Chapter Blog:
http://country-chicks.blogspot.com
Visit me at my other blogs:
family-fixins.blogspot.com
wwwmyblessedworld.blogspot.com
Visit our Etsy Store:
Heart2Home
www.heart2home.etsy.com

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  07:43:58 AM  Show Profile
Melissa I too have IBS with much the same problems you have, I have found that coconut helps with the diarrhea. I read somewhere that coconut macaroon cookies helped so I tried it and it works though I don't know why. I also take a lot of Pepto Bismol. I can't tolerate Soy products but have you tried soy milk?
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  08:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Melissa!

I grew up with allergies to milk and all milk derivatives. My mom did great with cooking for me. Yes, when we did have homemade pizza or homemade lasagna, there was always a separate dish for me. All the same ingredients but mine was without cheese. It might seem like more work at first, but really I think once you get used to it- it's not so bad. Also there are some pretty decent "fake cheese" alternatives out there that are geared towards vegans. Read your ingredients and only buy (or make) bread, tortillas and such that don't have milk or milk derivatives in them. That way it's not even in the house. I did eat a lot of fruit, tortillas, rice cakes with honey on them and things like that.

When eating out you are more likely to get milk derivatives but the pizza places are pretty good about making special order pizzas like no cheese when asked. I will tell my mom about this topic and I bet she can offer lots of insight, also if you want more advice from someone who went through something similar- feel free to ask anything! I know it can be rough sometimes and sometimes it feels like milk is in everything. But the good thing is that a lot has changed in the last 20 years and there are a lot more mainstream vegans and such who don't eat milk so products have been invented to fill the gaps.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  09:37:03 AM  Show Profile
My sister developed a milk allergy when we were growing up. I don't have much to add to what Alee said above (there are lots of substitute products out there and many recipes can simply leave out the milk or cheese).

Since you mentioned Italian food, I just thought I would point out that you can make plenty of marinara or pesto sauces and your family can add grated cheese at the table.

And we still make it a habit to order our pizzas with cheese on only half. Sometimes the pizza place gets confused by that, but 9 times out of 10 it is no big deal.
Go to Top of Page

Sage
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Pam
Worland Wyoming
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  10:59:12 AM  Show Profile
Melissa; You probably know the only way to get a handle on this is to read labels. I used to spend a long time at the store reading every ingredient on every label. We did find a milk free bread, milk free tortillas, and A&W chocolate soft serve was milk free years ago. Soy milk helped alot for nutrition and made good smoothies. Restaurants are supposed to have an ingredient list available if you ask and many post online now. Make sure your pizza place doesn't have a dough that has milk in it and we couldn't order half cheese half no cheese because the oil from the cheese would contaminate the cheese free side. We just ordered a small no cheese. I watched for lactose, lactylate, whey, and milk sugar. There are lots of other milk derivatives that I can't remember right now. Good luck and if you need further help just email and I'll be glad to help. Sage (Alee's Mom)

Farmgirl sister #140
www.heritagedesigns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  12:03:00 PM  Show Profile
If you have a health store or a food co-op nearby, check their homeopathy stuff. I have this great book , The
Family Guide to Homeopathy and it contains lots of information about illnesses and specific remedies to try. My son had milk allergies when he was young, so we used soy milk and soy cheese. I was never very fond of the soy cheese, but the milk was great, I still use that sometimes even though my son outgrew his allergies and is now out of the house and off on his adventures. Homeopathy is such a remarkable thing. It is certainly worth investigating. Possibly your local library might have some homeopathy books you could look at? Good Luck, Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  12:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Avoiding milk and milk derivatives

Make sure you read product labels carefully to avoid products that contain milk and milk derivatives. Avoid food and products that do not have an ingredient list and read labels every time you shop. Manufacturers may occasionally change their recipes or use different ingredients for varieties of the same brand. Refer to the following list before shopping:
Other names for milk

Ammonium/calcium/magnesium/potassium/sodium caseinate
Casein/caseinate/rennet casein
Curds
Delactosed/demineralized whey
Dry milk/milk/sour cream/sour milk solids
Hydrolyzed casein, hydrolyzed milk protein
Lactalbumin/lactalbumin phosphate
Lactate/lactose
Lactoferrin
Lactoglobulin
Milk derivative/fat/protein
Modified milk ingredients
Opta™, Simplesse® (fat replacers)
Whey, whey protein concentrate

Avoid food and products that do not have an ingredient list and read labels every time you shop.
Possible sources of milk

Artificial butter, butter fat/flavour/oil, ghee, margarine
Baked goods and baking mixes e.g., breads, cakes, doughnuts
Brown sugar, high-protein flour
Buttermilk, cream, dips, salad dressings, sour cream, spreads
Caramel colouring/flavouring
Casein in wax, e.g., fresh fruits and vegetables
Casseroles, frozen prepared foods
Cereals, cookies, crackers
Cheese, cheese curds, cottage/soy cheese
Chocolate
Desserts, e.g., custard, frozen yogurt, ice cream, pudding, sherbet, yogurt
Egg/fat substitutes
Flavoured coffee, coffee whitener, non-dairy creamer
Glazes, nougat
Gravy, sauces
Kefir (milk drink), kumiss (fermented milk drink), malt drink mixes
Meats, e.g., canned tuna, deli/processed meats, hot dogs, pâtés, sausages
Pizza
Potatoes, e.g., instant/mashed/scalloped potatoes, seasoned french fries/potato chips
Seasonings
Snack foods, e.g., candy, fruit bars, granola bars
Soups, soup mixes
Tofu
Wax coated fruits and vegetables
Non-food sources of milk

Cosmetics
Medications
Pet food
Ingredients that do not contain milk protein

Calcium/sodium lactate
Calcium/sodium stearoyl lactylate
Cocoa butter
Cream of tartar
Oleoresin

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Crafty Chic
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Melissa
West Plains MO
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  08:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Crafty Chic a Yahoo! Message
Thanks ladies for all the tips! I've printed out all of the useful info and I'm going to check our health food store-we have 2- and see what they have that I can do. Thanks again!

Visit our Farmgirl Chapter Blog:
http://country-chicks.blogspot.com
Visit me at my other blogs:
family-fixins.blogspot.com
wwwmyblessedworld.blogspot.com
Visit our Etsy Store:
Heart2Home
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  09:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa...so sorry to hear about your "tummy troubles". there I times that I wonder if I have IBS (the constipating kind). While at the health food store, look for a digestive supplement (something that has helped some w/ me)....with digetsive enzymes, look at the lable on the back...it should contain at least Lipase (for fats), amylase (for carbs) and protease for (protiens)....some also contain lactase for dairy (like what is in Lactaid)and other enzymes are added to help digest/breakdown berries and fiberous veggies...worth a try. Some of us at on time or another need the extra enzymes in our diet to help break down foods better. Of course it is good to limit the "offending" foods when you can....I am like that w/ soy....

Hope this helps and good luck to getting your situation under control :-)

Farmgirl Sister #21
Heart of Ohio Farmgirls

Proud member of Bees w/o Borders and ArtFuL SisTeRs

http://artfulheart.blogspot.com
http://farmgirltales.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I need help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page