Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Blackberry Farm & Resort. Take notes Farmgirls!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Blackberry Farm & Resort. Take notes Farmgirls! Next Topic
Page: of 4

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  11:32:42 AM  Show Profile
I just read an article (Country Living, April 2008) about the Blackberry Farm & Resort located in Tennessee, in the foothills of Appalachia. They specialize in heritage, heirloom farming and the cuisine of Appalachia. They encourage the guests to help with the farmwork, picking vegetables, helping with the horses and hay.

So, I say to myself, "Self, this sounds like a place for you and Jus to go!" And I head to their website at www.blackberryfarm.com only to find that, the following is the "reservations and rates" section. This is where I want all you gals who are good cooks, live in farmhouses, like company, and like a little help on the farm to take notes. This seems like something you could do!!!! I'm not saying it isn't worth it...check out the website for yourself, but I think I'd be better off going to Miss Wilma's and help Sterl with his cows for a couple of days :)

Nightly Rates
Our room rates are for two guests, based on the Full American Plan, which includes nightly accommodations, three gourmet meals, and pantry snacks. A two-night minimum is required for all stays, and Friday and Saturday nights may not be split. A three-night minimum is required from Labor Day to Thanksgiving on weekends. All holidays except Thanksgiving, require a three-night minimum stay. Thanksgiving requires a four-night minimum stay.

Depending on the season, our 2007 room rates, per night, are:

Queen Estate Rooms $745 - $845
(Queen Standard averages 219 sq. ft., Queen Deluxe averages 263 sq. ft.)

King Estate Rooms $945 - $1,045
(King Deluxe averages 297 sq. ft., King Superior averages 372 sq. ft.)

Cottage Suites $1,245 - $1,345
(Averages 616 sq. ft.)

Hill Cottages $1,995

(Average 1,080 sq. ft.)

Cove Cottage (3 bedrooms) $2,335 - $2,485

(2,457 sq. ft.)

Farm House (3 bedrooms) $4,500 - $4,800

Available Summer 2007!

Singing Brook Cottages $1,595

Available Summer 2007!

(Average 698 sq. ft.)

These rates, minus $100, are available for a single-occupancy stay. Rates do not include all applicable taxes and a 18% service charge.

Children
Children 10 and over are welcome throughout the year; children under 10 are welcome during holidays and Family Months, June 15 to August 15, when Camp Blackberry is in session. Camp Blackberry holidays include Easter, Memorial Day, June 15 to August 15, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. (It does not include the New Year's holiday).

Nightly Charges for Children:
Children under 3 years of age may stay in their parent's room free of charge.

Charges for children 3 years of age and older, staying in their parent's room, will be $250 per child, per night, plus tax and service charge. This standard room charge covers meals, pantry snacks, sodas, and Camp Blackberry.

Dining
All meals are special events at Blackberry Farm, and our Culinary Team takes great pride in using only the finest ingredients to create memorable cuisine. Breakfast, brunch, and candlelight dinners are enjoyed in the dining room. Lunch at Blackberry Farm is a casual affair and is available at 12:00pm daily. On your day of departure, a picnic lunch will be placed in your vehicle for your journey home. Backpacks, blankets and trail maps are available from the Oak Cottage for exploring the 4,200 acres of Blackberry Farm. Ask any team member for his or her favorite picnic spot.

Rates include the evening meal and breakfast and lunch the following day. If you would like to enjoy extra meals on the day of your arrival or departure, please let us know in advance so that arrangements can be made. Also, upon confirmation of your reservation, please advise us of any special dietary restrictions or requests. Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket at dinner, but tie is optional.

Arrival and Departure
Rooms are available for check-in at 4:00 p.m. Departure is at 12 noon. While we make every attempt to accommodate early arrivals, we cannot guarantee room availability before 4:00 p.m. However, we can store your luggage in the event of early arrival or late departure.

Cancellations
Because of our size, cancellations affect us significantly. Therefore, we adhere to a strict cancellation policy. Cancellations made 30 days or more prior to arrival will result in a full refund minus a $50 administrative fee. Cancellations, regardless of the reason, made within 30 days of your confirmed arrival date will result in forfeiture of your deposit. All deposits are non-transferable to another date. However, you are always welcome to send a friend or family member in your place.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on Mar 28 2008 11:46:05 AM

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  1:13:56 PM  Show Profile
Sweeetie you can stay in my cabin free and dont have to wade cow muck either, Only thing I get to hear Justins music

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  1:18:30 PM  Show Profile
Whew, I was afraid you were gonna charge us $1,400 a night!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  1:20:03 PM  Show Profile
Heehee, Jonni...well, several months back, I'd read something similar about another ranch in Arizona. It's a bed and breakfast, and you get to help rope cattle, take care of horses, etc. They interviewed the owners, a farmwoman and her cowboy husband, older folks who'd been there 30 years. They charge $500 for a weekend but she admitted that she couldn't believe, when they first started that idea, that people would pay to "learn dude ranching" because to them, it was PAYING to help them do farmwork! Hmmm...I wonder if the guests realize that instead of BEING payed farmhands,they were PAYING to be farmhands!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  1:22:34 PM  Show Profile
Ha Ha Zan! I found this so intriguing and really, so unexpected, because the article talked about how the owner's father and mother started this farm in 1970 or so, with such a hippy mindset about the food we eat, knowing the full circle and getting "down and dirty" with the earth. The son and his family took over last year. Now, I don't think they've made such changes, I think the hippy parents became...well, yippies!!!

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2008 :  1:40:50 PM  Show Profile
:D

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com
www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:
agriculture: www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com
art: www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
animals: www.big-luv.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2008 :  9:52:33 PM  Show Profile
Yep, read this article too....been there, this is in Tennessee right at the Smokey Mountains..where we will be buying a cabin in a few years...

Zan, this is exactly the type farm that would give you a decent income and you'd learn all the ropes so to speak if you were willing to work in different areas.

Most areas right at the Smokey Mountain park are going to be specialized and pricey...there were 9 million visitors to the Smokeys last year.

And yes, city folk pay alot of money to try to feel a piece of the farm (country) life no matter what the cost. If you've got a great income and want to relax then you are gonna seek out these specialty farms....I applaud these country folks for having the insight and courage to follow their dreams.....and think that it is absolutely wonderful that they have created a niche for themselves with the folks that can afford it and are thrilled they are there.

I think one of most favorite license tag names I've ever seen was simply "hippie" and it was on a Mercedes SL.

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Apr 06 2008 10:12:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2008 :  10:13:27 PM  Show Profile
Now Jonnie Sterl and I would like to retire but he doesnt want to sell the farm, now wouldnt it be fun to lease it to you and let you have a dude ranch, no kidding I am thinking of renting the cabin house by the week for people that just want a quite place to get away. I am sure I could rent much cheaper than that and still make good money, But now they can do their own cooking after all the company I have had for the past few months , I am sickkkkkkkkkkkk of cooking. Gotta have a break

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2008 :  10:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Yep, I found out that Val Kilmer (the actor) has a ranch in New Mexico and thought I should go there and check things out, kick back, take some R & R and like the price list above I just about spit up when I saw what they were charging! I'm attaching the link just for fun.
http://www.thepecosriverranch.com/content.asp?CustComKey=113734&CategoryKey=321467&pn=Page&DomName=thepecosriverranch.com
Do you think they have scholarships? LOL!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2008 :  10:35:34 PM  Show Profile
Linda you can stay in a very quite place in the woods here for 200.00 per week. nothing to make any noise except turkeys and deer sometimes a few coyotes

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  01:20:06 AM  Show Profile
Choke, gag. Holy cow, I can't believe they can get that kind of money from people! 18% service charge?! $250 a night for a 4 year old?! Sorry, I'll just continue to pitch my tent out in the forest when I want to get away;)

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  07:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Miss Wilma after living in L.A. for almost 8 years that is the most blissful thing I've heard in a long time!~ I'll put that on my wish list. I've never been to Kentucky, seems I might need to do that very soon!

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  08:23:31 AM  Show Profile
Miss Wilma, you're on!!! Don't you dare sell your pretty farm--I'm with Sterl!!! For some reason, I just don't see you and him in some retirement community in Punta Gorda, Florida :) I think both you and he would be B-O-R-E-D!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  08:40:52 AM  Show Profile
I am amazed at prices of hotels, bed & breakfasts, etc. lately. I guess with everything else going up in cost, it only makes sense the hospitality trade would also be affected, but truly those rates are just plain out of reach for most of us. We had a terrible struggle this year when we siblings decided we should all take Mom & Dad somewhere for a family trip in celebration of their 50th anniversary. We had to "settle" for a much lesser location than wanted simply because of the prices. I have been tempted over the years to do a bed & breakfast someday, when the kiddos are grown, but in reality I think I would want my privacy more than that. I have always day dreamed about a trip across the country, staying at bed & breakfasts . . . especially in some of the New England villages, but I think it may just remain a dream for many years to come!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  1:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Linda I have lots of friends and some family out there, I honestly dont see how any one could afford to live there, We have 103 acres, 4 houses four big barns and a play house. Our property taxes are a few dollars over 600.00, I think the good lord was with us when we lit out on a journey and found this place. Believe me after living with no running water and no bathroom for 5 years I thought I had joined the wealthy class.

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  8:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Oooooh, I'm so envious Miss Wilma. Isn't it wonderful to be living your dream?
That's what I'm working on. L.A. is great for some things but I am a country girl and this desert and concrete environment wears on you after a while. I'm here because I'm a Personal Assistant and there's only about 4 places in the U.S. that support my kind of work. So the good news is, I have a clear goal in mind and people like you to remind me of my dreams.
My boyfriend Dan lives in Chicago and I'll be moving there in a year or so, and then we hope to buy some property in Wisconsin or Washington State. Ahhh I can almost feel the dewey grass between my toes!

Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2008 :  9:33:02 PM  Show Profile
Jonnie

Part of my dream for my little farm is to open the farm house and cottage to guests with simple meals and to be part of the farm process, maybe take a quilt class or felting workshop or learn to spin wool from my sheep. of course this is still a couple of years away since I just got here less than a year ago and I'm still tripping on broken plaster and developing the yards and fields and building fences and.... and.... and..... I wouldn't dare or even want to charge that much money. It will be a bargain. Stay tuned, y'all!

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  05:39:06 AM  Show Profile
I'll be first on the list, Luna!!!! I have always wanted to open a bed and breakfast, since living with my friend, Sarah and her family in England. They had two rooms that were booked most of the time, and these people LOVED to help Phil out on the dairy farm. They also had sheep and these folks would beg to bottle feed the lambs and play with the border collies. Her three girls grew up in such a wonderful and open environment...plus, her food was out of this world!!!!

It will happen, Luna, and like I said, count me in!!!!

Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  07:18:15 AM  Show Profile
That is very close to my own image Jonnie, just a coupl of rooms and the cottage which was once either a smoke house or slave quaters (I've had different people tell me different things). The main house was started in 1885 with 3 parts added in later decades. It's very simple, no elaborate victorian trim, just a a farm house. Yes it will happen, the vision is strong within me. One step at a time. My friends in NJ think I'm crazy and at the same time stunned that I have gotten this far. Blessings on you and the all the FarmGirls here who understand and encourage.

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  07:23:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Alright, that cinches it! I'm coming to Kentucky! I'll have several of you to visit. And when Luna opens her place, there'll be lots to do and several farmgirl places to stay!
Look at me, I haven't started a new job yet and I'm planning my next vacation! LOL!

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2008 :  07:38:57 AM  Show Profile
It sounds divine, Luna...and yes, people will think what they choose to--they simply haven't experienced how freeing and satisfying paring down can be. I had always lived an urban existence after boarding school, both in Brooklyn, NY and London England. It wasn't until I moved to Cornwall that the ultimate benefit of living a simple life were revealed to me. It was hard work, don't get me wrong--and you've already discovered that!!! But it was so worth it. The first three months there every bone in my body hurt everyday...and I loved it. Phil was the hardest working man I'd ever known--and the kindest. Even during the beef ban in the UK, he would bring home bull calves who'd just been born in neighboring farmers fields because he couldn't stand the thought of them being shot in front of their mothers. So, another mouth to feed at Trehane Farm. But, Sarah indulged him in all his dreams about the farm, and their b & b prospers still--it's a small operation, and fulfills their ultimate goal of full time farming. Sarah makes all her own yogurt, cheeses, breads, granolas, etc...and serves them daily to guests. When folks went out on country rambles to see the sites, she would send them off with a hamper of homemade cheddar sandwiches and apples. Breakfast was served at the farm table by the hearth, with the family.

I love the idea of an intimate place, Luna...when we travel, we much prefer smaller lodgings. You make the most amazing relationships that way!!!!

Sorry about the ramble...I would really love to see photos of your home, Luna. There are ways (at the courthouse) to look up tax bills that would tell you exactly what buildings were on your land over the years, if you care to be clear on whether it's a smokehouse or slave quarter. Seeing that the main farmhouse is from the Victorian era, I'm shooting for a smokehouse.

Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  2:59:40 PM  Show Profile
Linda

You are most welcome anythime. Kentucky is the place to be!

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  4:14:29 PM  Show Profile
Now Luna your place sounds fantastic but please let Linda stay some here to, We both can share JONNIE to get it organized, I will loan you some calves if you will loan me some sheep.

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  4:55:34 PM  Show Profile
It is amazing/sad to me what people will pay all that money for...I'm all for people being in business but those are some crazy rates!

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  5:51:02 PM  Show Profile
Jonni

I just love the image of your friends in England. They sound wonderful and their place sounds like a dream. I wish I could go there and see it for myself. And i know how Phil feels about the bull calves. i suddenly find myself with 7 black ram lambs. Some have suggested that they should go to "the freezer" but there is no way I can do that. Yet I have to feed them and provide space for them if i keep them too long. More on that in another thread. Anyway, thanks for sharing the story of your friends.

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  7:51:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Miss Wilma

Well you know I just love sharing so, do you think Jonnie would organize a Kentucky FarmStead tour that Linda and others could follow around the state. I might join in on it myself. My place has a long way to go yet before it's as beautiful as yours, tho. There is so much of the state i would like to see and haven't gotten to yet. Hmmm calves for sheep...now that's something to think about.....

Luna The Farm Lady
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Blackberry Farm & Resort. Take notes Farmgirls! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page