Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  06:35:45 AM  Show Profile
We live on a dead end dirt road....the last of a dying breed around here.

Most days that's fine. Lack of pavement and the dead end sign pretty much seem to keep the rif-raf out.

HOWEVER! The !@#$ DOT can't maintain thins road to save their lives!

They scrape the road about once every 6 months--- on especially dry days and do nothing to maintain the ditches. So when it rains, our front yard gets soggy and I have to swim to my car. Kind of frustrating when I'm in good Sunday dress and shoes.

So yeasterday afternoon they scraped. Then our neighbor down the road had a visitor. This visitor obviously has no manners when it comes to dirt road etiquette. She flew down the road and kicked up a huge plume of dust. Now you know why I can't use a clothes line. Before she came back out, my dog took off down the road chasing a bird. Luckily Jasmine also saw the person start to leave and pretty much followed the person back up to us-thus forcing the driver to creep by. Had it not been for my dog, I would have stood there in the middle of the road and said something.

Here's where it gets interesting.

The house above us is being rennovated by an old man and his wife. Preacherman wants the road paved. It takes a majority vote to get a road paved. One such petition circulated a few years ago. We all shot it down. "All" being the only 2 groups of us who live here permanently. The house down the road is rented from my in-laws. the house being fixed is in a shambles and really needs to be burned to the ground.

So. That's 4 houses- but 2 groups who will either continue to live with dust or rif-raf and a paved road.

I forgot to mention we get 4 wheeling kids who use the road as a through-way. They speed too on their way into the woods at the end of the road. Some days they race up and down the road.

On especially dusty days I may have to put an end to this madness.

A solution may be to get DOT to pave just to our mail box, then stop, where technically it becomes a private drive to the rented house, and install cattle gates.

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  07:06:55 AM  Show Profile
we live on a private dirt road too, but we have to maintain it ourselves. one of our neighbors occasionally takes his tractor out and grates it, but i know what your talking about with the dust, etc. our road is supposed to be a dead end (we're toward the end of it) the two houses at the very end who of course have to drive past the rest of us to get in and out are real jerks. they speed all the time....the one has these wild kids who ride golf carts and little speedy go carts---one day the kids tipped the golf cart over in the ditch---surprised no one got hurt--- their mother is always too busy running her business, which is not allowed in our neighborhood, and then, to top it off, these two houses at the end decided to open up the end of the road through to another neighborhood that is supposed to enter in and out from another road! we are all having a fit with these two inconsiderate jerks but there is not a thing we can do unless we take them to court for thousands of $$$! a few of our neighbors wanted to get our road paved to cut down on the dust created by them and their fed ex trucks, but we decided that if you leave it dirt, it still slows them down. have you thought about speed bumps? get some really large piles of rocks and drop them across the road (obviously past where you pull in and out of so you don't have to go over them every day) maybe that would help??
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  09:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Can you convince the DOT to put in speed bumps? Cattle grates work well too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic dirt road delema Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page