Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 do you like living in a small town?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic do you like living in a small town? Next Topic  

napafarmhouse1885
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

diane
napa ca
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  09:58:37 AM  Show Profile
or dream of living in a small town if you currently live in the suburbs or a big city? i just posted a story about living in a (kind of) small town on my blog. i would appreciate it if as many farmgirls as possible could read my story and post a comment on the blog about your experiences. most of my readers live in a city..but dream of small town life...
thank you so much in advance...

best,
napafarmhouse1885
www.napafarmhouse1885.blogspot.com

"Whatever you can do or dream, begin it"
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  10:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
In one word, YES!!!!! I will drop a comment over on your blog...

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  10:12:05 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
I love living in a small town, at times a lil too small and quiet for my liking but I love it.

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://ligonierfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  10:12:55 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I wouldn't have thought that I would, but I really do like liking in a small town. I know people here and am not just another faceless stranger.

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  11:06:31 AM  Show Profile
I came from a small town and grew up on the farm...went to college in a small town...then moved to the city. First chance I got, I moved to a small town and love it. We only have one grocery store and a Kmart that I think I may have been in 3 times in 2 years. Everyone is so friendly and talkative here as compared to the city where folks are afraid to speak or say something. It is more laid back and SO much quieter...and peaceful. I read our paper front to back even if it is news about someone I don't know, but with the big town newspaper, I read it once in a while and its always full of junk.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Farmgirl Sisterhood #137~
Be sure to visit my blog & Crafty Clipart for some of my photographs:
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftyclipart.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  11:26:28 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE it.
It is still pretty small, even though the yuppies from a local large company discovered it and moved half of their executives in- we have now lost some of its charm. It has been my experience that Yuppies don't like the slow pace either.
I love that we still have lightening bugs, I don't HAVE to lock my doors-but I still do, I can walk to just about everywhere in town.
Everyone is friendly.

I hope we don't get too much bigger. I might have to move.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

napafarmhouse1885
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

diane
napa ca
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  3:44:34 PM  Show Profile
thanks to everyone that has replied...i just received a very cool comment on my blog about small town living from a lisa marie. check it out if you get a chance..it is the first comment for this topic. i assume she is a farmgirl..but she did not leave contact info..so this is a very public.. thank you!!

best,
napafarmhouse1885

Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  3:54:06 PM  Show Profile
I love everything about it. I was brought up in a small town. My husband and I have lived in large cities and small communities. Now we live in an extremly small town. The population of the WHOLE county is 2,500.

I really appreciate it right now. I am in Las Vegas overseeing a convention and I just want to get home where I hear my rooster crow instead of sirens going full blast every morning

there is a seed to plant in every heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  5:38:01 PM  Show Profile
I love our small town. We moved here almost 6 years ago after growing up in a town that really really really grew over the years. It is perfect. Our town has 3,000 people. I LOVE it. I commented on your blog
I love Napa by the way..what a pretty place to live!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  05:03:27 AM  Show Profile
I always tell people I'm like John Cougar Mellencamp... I was born in a small town and I can breath in a small town... gonna die in a small town...

You get the picture!

I was born about 10 miles from where I live now. My hometown has one stoplight. I graduated with 19 people. I still attend the same church I was raised in and I wouldn't change any of it.

My husband grew up in the next town over - another one stoplight town! Almost all of our family lives around here and we're all very close. We have such a sense of belonging and a sense of place. We both went away to college but hurried back as fast as we could. We don't live in town - we live on our farm - but we consider ourselves part of the community. I love seeing our children participating in the same community activities we enjoyed when we were young.

I can't imagine making a life anywhere else. This place is in my bones.

My new blog! http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  07:07:56 AM  Show Profile
I love small town living. We are particularly lucky here. We have to small towns within a couple of miles of each other. One has the school and a bank and churches, oh and the one stop light. The one we live in on our farm has a post office and mini-marts. Of course both have fire departments. Ours has a 4 way stop! No light. We are very rural here but the great thing is we are only 10 minutes from another town that has a college and has just aobut everything you could ask for right there.So it is the best of both worlds. Knowing so many of the people and thie kids and now grandkids is really a nice thing.All the people in the stores and resturaunts and banks etc. know us it is just a great place to live. I woildn't want to live anywhere else.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  07:09:56 AM  Show Profile
Wow should of checked that post for typo's!! LOL MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  07:38:20 AM  Show Profile
I do like living in small towns in general, but I'm not crazy about the one we moved to last year. The town we are in now has some serious "holes" in the service and products available and with the gas prices what they are, I cringe everytime I have to drive 25 miles to go to Olympia to purchase sometime. It has made me more organized on those shopping trips for sure. Two of the things that are unavailable in this town that I purchase regularly are organic foods and computer supplies - ink, paper, etc. Also, a lot of the people in this town don't seem to keep their places up very well, unlike most small towns we have lived in. That's no good for anyone. But I don't want to sound like a whiner ---- we moved her voluntarily and there are a lot of advantages to living in a small town. I wouldn't change places with someone who lives in an apartment in the city for a million dollars. Just be sure you are not swayed by the charm and consider all things before choosing your small town

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

Edited by - mikesgirl on Mar 20 2008 07:39:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  08:07:20 AM  Show Profile
I've lived in both big cities (Flint, Michigan and Cleveland, Ohio) and small towns (Swartz Creek, Michigan; Blandon, Pennsylvania; and St. Johns, Michigan). I think I prefer small towns, but I liked living in a big city, too. I loved living in Cleveland. The neighborhood we lived in was like a small town. Our neighbors were friendly, and our neighborhood was very well-kept and safe. And we had a lot of neighborhood branches of city services (we had our own library branch, grocery store, fire station, and police station), so it felt like a small town, right in the middle of a big city! And if we were in the mood, good restaruants, museums, the Rock-and-Roll Hall of Fame, the Great Lakes Science Center, Cleveland Browns Stadium, the Gund Arena, and Jacobs Field (where the Cleveland Indians play) were all just a 20 minute train ride away.
As much as I liked it, though, when it came time to move again I chose a small town. All that stuff was fun at first, but after a while it all seemed kind of "too much." Now I'm content in my small town, and I think I won't live in a big city again.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  09:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I absolutely loved growing up in a small town. It was so safe, a very low crime rate (everyone knew when someone had done something!) People waved to each other on the street or when you passed in cars. I always knew that help was around the corner for whatever I needed. I know people were busy and not everyone was wonderfully nice, but it seems like life just flowed at a slightly slower pace. And with in 2-3 hours were big cities for any shopping that we couldn't do locally.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  10:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Living here in San Diego is really overwhelming for me. I like choices and being able to see new things, but there is just TOO much for me. I am a very visual person, so it is like an overload to me!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

napafarmhouse1885
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

diane
napa ca
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2008 :  4:23:52 PM  Show Profile
continued thanks for the comments on my blog. the stories are so cool...just like the replies to my original post. please keep the stories coming..both here and on the blog! i encourage everyone to check out the blog story..and then check out the comments...the stories are really special. i feel like i am meeting really nice new friends!

thanks everyone,
napa farmhouse 1885

best,
napafarmhouse1885

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2008 :  12:40:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh, sorry Napafarmhouse about not leaving contact info. I couldn't seem to get it to work right (probably just my error). But, yes, I am a farmgirl. Loved your blog. I will check in from time to time to see what's new!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  05:00:41 AM  Show Profile
I'm bumping since this also pertains to small town life.

I spotted an amusing storefront in my town the other day which gave me an opportunity to blog about shopping in a small town.

http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

Thanks for checking it out. By the way, my sister-in-laws (I have four of them!) LOVE reading your comments on my blog. They don't have a lot of experience with message boards and don't make time to read them but they love feeling "connected" to y'all through my blog.

My blog: http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Crafty Chic
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Melissa
West Plains MO
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  08:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Crafty Chic a Yahoo! Message
I love living in a small town but our town is slowly getting big. It's becoming a mini Springfield (Missouri) and while I like that we're getting more choices to eat (We now have a Coltons and Ruby Tuesday and Stake and Shake are being put in and I even heard an Arbys) I don't want it to get any bigger than it is. We do have a lot of places to shop-Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Big Lots, lots of clothing stores and dollar stores, stuff like that but I sometimes miss when it wasn't as big. I can still remember our Wal-Mart before it become a super center. There are times I wish I lived back in the old days when you lived out in the country and only went to town once a month. Bet we would save more money b/c since we live in town we make so many trips to Wal-Mart (mainly b/c I forget things when I'm there and have to go back) but I really HATE that place. But, it's the only place to really get all your stuff at once and their prices are really cheaper but it seems we spend a lot of money there b/c we always buy stuff we don't need. Ugh. But, yes I love living in a small town and I don't ever want to move to a big city. But, I don't want to live in a town any smaller than the one we live in-I'm happy just where I am. I grew up here and I plan to raise my daughter here. I've never left my home town. I hope I never have to. I've even gone to college here b/c I can get my bachelor's degree here-we have a branch of MSU here. So-it's the best of both worlds-small town living with the benefits of a big city.

Visit our Farmgirl Chapter Blog:
http://country-chicks.blogspot.com
Visit me at my other blogs:
family-fixins.blogspot.com
wwwmyblessedworld.blogspot.com
Visit our Etsy Store:
Heart2Home
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  08:04:12 AM  Show Profile
I love living in a small town. Thanks for sharing. Great blog.

It is such a happiness when good people get together-
and they always do-
Jane Austen- Emma
Go to Top of Page

Aunt B
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Terri
Chillicothe OH
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  8:55:33 PM  Show Profile
I've lived in big cities and now I live in a small town and love it. I don't miss polution, traffic, or the crime at all.

Aunt B
http://www.hummingbirdsprings.blogspot.com
http://www.hummingbirdsprings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Choctaw Farm Gal
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Nancy
Oklahoma
46 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  03:30:53 AM  Show Profile
I live in a small town. It was a good size town at one time. But the Viet Nam War took a the better part of a local generation away in the 60's. We have no stop lights, but we do have a few paved roads and a few stop signs. The main paved road goes to the post office and our elementary school. The next town over has a high school and a few small country stores & essentials. Everyone has acreage & farms it in one way or another. Everyone knows almost everyone else. We have no malls, no walmart, no fast food places. Those kind of places are a two-hour round trip away. When we go to the country store (in the next town over) we know everyone shopping or working there. If there is anyone in town the locals don't recognize, that means they are someone in visiting relatives, or a tourist visiting our area.
Choctaw Farm Gal
Go to Top of Page

napafarmhouse1885
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

diane
napa ca
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  10:55:59 AM  Show Profile
welcome Choctaw Farm Gal, i noticed that this was your first post. i am a new farmgirl too...thank you for your story on small town life.

best,
napafarmhouse1885

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic do you like living in a small town? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page