quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  1:45:23 PM  Show Profile
I've been experimenting with making sun-dried tomatoes in my oven today. I have harvested a lot of yellow pear tomatoes, rinsed them, cut them in half lengthwise and put them on a rack in the oven on 200 degrees F. Since these tomatoes are small, it's only taken about 4 hours to dry them and they are spectacular!!!!
For those of you who have made these before I have a couple of questions. What sort of rack to you put them on? Does it matter if they are cut side up or down?
Because I am drying pear tomatoes, there is a "skinny" end and a "fat" end, the skinny end gets a little crispy before the fat end is dehydrated enough so I'm trying the oven at a lower temp, any other ideas?

Nancy

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  6:45:05 PM  Show Profile
I live where it is hot hot hot we do them outside on a rack over a tile table in the sun. I cover it with this bee netting contraption to keep out critters. I don't know about which side maybe right I never really thought about it but I put them skin side down. A pinch of salt will pull the juice. You may want to cut them so they are all even alike. Mine are leather like not crispy.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  8:05:14 PM  Show Profile
I use a dehydrator...two of them actually (the Ronco sort...bought cheaply at yard sales) I think they must have a lower temp, since mine don't get crispy either. I love the yellow pear tomatoes and will be drying some for sure too. I put cut down and put a cookie sheet with lip under the whole thing at first to catch the drips...otherwize it is quite a mess..after the first little bit it gets better...It is alot harder in an oven to not get the crispy. I used to dry jerky in the oven and had that problem too. For a rack in the oven I used a pampered chef rack that had little squares like a grid instead of just rows of wire...things don't fall through as easily and are better supported. they have some that stack now too, so you could get two layers. Good luck..have fun...

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  08:35:48 AM  Show Profile
I like the dehydrator idea. Here in relatively cool and not so sunny maritime NW it is next to impossible to dry outside. Though when I get moved to Eastern WA I could try it. I think I'll try some cookie cooling racks and stack two crosswise to each other so that I can get a grid and hopefully they won't fall through. I start keeping my eyes open for a dehydrator.

Thanks,
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  10:43:11 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you asked, I've always wanted to dry tomatoes. May be I'll finally try it this year.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  4:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by sqrl

I'm so glad you asked, I've always wanted to dry tomatoes. May be I'll finally try it this year.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Me too! (once I have a kitchen)
Go to Top of Page

Jes
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

jes
whitefield me
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  5:41:16 PM  Show Profile
How does everyone prefer to store them? I've always loved them from the market stored in olive oil....(because you get to use the oil as well). I can't wait to try this!

Just a Maine Girl
http://sweetpeas.motime.com ~journal
http://sweetpeasme.motime.com ~collective souls....a journal's journey
Go to Top of Page

Bester
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Esther
Dakota City NE
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  08:45:18 AM  Show Profile
Do you guys leave the skins on or off ? I was thinking this would be a great way to use up the tons of cherry tomatoes I have out there. The kids could eat them as snacks when dried. I have an Excaliber 5 rack dehydrater and it is just the best I have ever owned and quite the deal when I bought it at a flea market for $15 !!!

Don't let your today eat up your tomorrow...
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  11:23:42 AM  Show Profile
Skins on. Just cut the cherry tomatoes in half and dry away. Yum! You can sprinkle a little salt on them before you dry them if you like, but these are easy peasy!
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  2:49:27 PM  Show Profile
I do cherry tomatoes sometimes too. AND>>>Esther..you can can them too..I do cherry tomatoes at the end of the season when I just can't eat anymore (hard to imagine right now..still LOVING eating them at every meal) and chop them for salsa, and also can some cherry tomatoes whole..poke with a sterilized needle a couple times so they don't blow apart...can like regular tomatoes..I don't peel them. They are great added to stews and soups..the peels have concentrated flavor and are really good. I do some most years..this year I will have alot of extra cherry tomatoes it looks like.
The do dry really well too..and quick!! Wow..good deal on your dehydrator!!! That is great!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Jes
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

jes
whitefield me
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  3:28:48 PM  Show Profile
Bester....HURRAY for flea market finds! (and I love the cherry tomato idea!)

Just a Maine Girl
http://sweetpeas.motime.com ~journal
http://sweetpeasme.motime.com ~collective souls....a journal's journey
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  5:59:06 PM  Show Profile
oh..and yes, I like to store mine in olive oil too!! Some I store plain in a jar for snipping into dips and like that..but more in olive oil.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Ahodge
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Anne
334 SW Well, Fort White FL
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  06:04:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Ahodge a Yahoo! Message
I would love to have some dried fresh tomatoes, anyone up for a trade?
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  04:45:29 AM  Show Profile
Anne
I live in FL too! I'd be happy to send ya some!
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  08:34:03 AM  Show Profile
I have been drying my plum tomatoesin the dehydrator and after I now have plenty, I smoked the last batch. They came out great! So far I have only made a smoked tomato vineigrette.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic My Own Sun-Dried Tomatoes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page