Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Shingles vaccine; pros and cons?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Shingles vaccine; pros and cons? Next Topic  

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  06:45:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi farmgirls!

Has anyone an opinion on the shingles vaccine that is now available?

My insurance comany will pay part (appproximately half) of the cost and I am considering whether it is worth pursuing, even if I have to cover the remaining out of pocket expense. Prices quoted have been $130-$250 per vaccine, it's a one-time vaccine being recommended for those over the age 50 to avoid the painful and potentially repeated outbreaks of shingles in later life. We've had family members suffer this illness, and certainly want to prevent issue if we can, particularly since we have also learned that shingles is contagious! It seems to be a more frequently occurring illness these days.

Comments?

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  06:51:01 AM  Show Profile
Well, Jo, I know folks who have suffered with it, both older and younger, and personally, I might do it--however, it's a herpes virus, so will they check for that in your system first to see if you already have the existing strain?

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  07:09:39 AM  Show Profile
I asked that question, and my doctor said it's a separate strain of the herpes simplex I or II virus or the chicken pox virus, so it's a specific protection against the shingles strain. But check with your own doctor to be sure. Anyone who has had even a single cold sore can imagine the pain and angst of one or more shingles outbreaks for us older folks!

I'm not sure why they said it is recommended for just "age 50 and over" either, since I've know people, even children, who have had shingles.

Jo

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  07:18:03 AM  Show Profile
My mother actually had an outbreak (the first and only) after my father died--she was rundown (both physically and emotionally) and it was terrible for her. It happened on her jawline, and 15 years to the date, she still feels a neuropathy along that nerve stem. It also left a terrible scar.

Agreed...I'm not against vaccinating, by most means, and again, personally, I think I might do it. Just my opinion...

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  07:49:45 AM  Show Profile
My parents both 82 years young just got the vaccine on the advice of their doctor, neither has had any reaction to the shot. My uncle has had shingles and it was terribly terribly painful and lasted months. I am planning on getting the vaccine myself, I had chicken pox at age 36 and don't want any repeats of herpes anything.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  08:29:47 AM  Show Profile
Oooh, Kathy - chicken pox at age 36 - awful! My friend had chicken pox as an adult as well, supposedly much worse than when you get it as a kid, but if you are a kid, how do you know? It's all bad!

Glad to hear other perspectives on shingles and the vaccine, anyway. I am extremely susceptible to poison ivy (I know ,isn't related to shingles) soI have enough bad memories of dealing with poison ivy outbreaks tha spread all over me once I get it. Prevention is key, in my humble opinion.

Jo

Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2008 :  5:57:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh ya chicken pox at 36 wasn't fun and my 14 year old son had them at the same time. Luckily our bathtub was 6feet long and I could stretch out completely in baking soda baths. The one funny part was the kids peditrician took care of me.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  04:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I had shingles as a teen ager my doctor said I was lucky for me they where just wrapping nasty sores on my back so I ran around in a bathing suit for a few weeks for them to heal and dry out. the reason I was lucky he said if I had been a few years older they would have been real painful. Mine did have any pain associated with them except when my pant waist band would rub them thus the bathing suit. But I have had cold sores and fever blisters if that is what shingles feels like as an adult a few hundred of those on my back and I don't think I would be moving much.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Farmgirl Sister #115
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  07:02:51 AM  Show Profile
Well, DH and I go in tomorrow for our vaccine...shingles away!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  10:33:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Would the vaccine work if a person has had shingles before? I had a bad case(across my back) a long time ago and had a kidney infection at the same time....I couldn't even stand up...had to crawl to the bathroom. Does the vaccine have to be renewed or is once all it takes?

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  10:49:47 AM  Show Profile
I wonder that too Janice. I had shingles several years ago and suffered repeat bouts of it. I got it along my jawline and neck and it traveled along that nerve line down to my chest. I had pain from it even afterwards. One time it was so bad I thought I was having a heart attack. I was very run down when I got it and my immune system was not good at that time. I would hope never to get it again and if that vaccine would work it would be worth it.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  10:59:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
My immune system was shot then, too, Lainey. That and stress sure seem to open the door to shingles. It's hard to describe the pain of shingles.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  2:46:49 PM  Show Profile
I work in a dr's office and if your insurance will cover part of it-ABSOLUTELY get it. The vaccine is very expensive- but so worth it. Get it sooner than later! Good luck!

Lori

Have a Country Day
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  05:46:51 AM  Show Profile
Just my 2 cents worth....maybe more of a rave.........but here goes...
I have a hard time wraping my brain around a medicine that can help alleviate a persons sufering, but it's soooooo expensive he average person can't afford it. The way I look at it is that it is a preventative......and PREVENTION is always the more economically friendlly route. With all us BOOMERS aging every day......you'd THINK the powers that be would be anticipating an onslaught of various maladies. I don't get it. Maybe I was asleep when they were explaining this........
Forever perplexed,
Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  10:44:24 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I don't mean to sound like a "KNOW-IT-ALL" here, but this is a topic I am all too familiar with. As a Medical Assistant it is MY job to administer vaccines, as well as to educate patients on the drugs-- therefore it ALSO my job to learn all their is about a vaccine--- BEFORE I have to actually GIVE it!!!

As for the question-- can Zostavax be given to someone once they've already HAD an outbreak of Shingles? Unfortunately the answer is "NO." It's meant as a PREVENTATIVE, not a CURE. And unless the FDA has changed the "targeted" age group for the drug-- it WAS 60yrs and up, not 50. I was told by the Drug Company Reps that the reason the drug was approved for patients 60yrs and older is because that was the minimum age of the "test subjects" used in clinical trials before the drug was approved by the FDA for public use. They may have done further studies since and lowered the age limit to 50, so DO ask your doctors about that. (I have not been working this past year, so there may have been some significant changes for administering the drug, and a change in approved age that I am not aware of)

As far as side affects, I never had a patient complain, other than a bit of soreness at the injection site. (which is typical of A LOT of injections), but then, because of the COST of the drug (which some insurances will not cover AT ALL!) we never gave very many.

If anyone is concerned about the possible side affects (and even if you are NOT!!) please go to the CDC website and check out the information listed on any -- and ALL -- vaccines you might be considering. You'll be GLAD you did!!!

Oh, and Kate? The reason the drugs are so expensive is #1. the drug companies are trying to make a PROFIT and recoup the $$$ spent on research (but MOSTLY to make a PROFIT!!!) and #2. the "New" drugs are patented and can't be manufactured by any other companies for at LEAST 5yrs-- so, the drug marketer can sell their product for however much they WANT until the patent runs out!
Also, the reason insurance companies won't usually pay for the "Latest, Greatest WONDER drug" is because there is not enough PERTINANT data to show that the drug WORKS as the manufacturer claims And is SAFE!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Shingles vaccine; pros and cons? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page